Simplefit.org • View topic - Keith's Log

Keith's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Keith's Log

Postby kdo463 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi I'm brand new. Like others, I tried CrossFit and failed miserably. The community there recommended Simplefit, so I think I'll give it a try. Seems like a very good process to work my way into Crossfit eventually. I've already worked out today, so I'll start simplefit tomorrow. I think Level 2 or 3 will be most suitable for me. Any reason I shouldn't just start on Level 1, Day 3, since tomorrow's a Friday? That will give me a good guage as to where to start again on Monday.

I think I might also use a four-day workout routine. Maybe Day 1 on Monday, Day 2 on Tuesday, something else (?) on Thursday, and then Day 3 on Friday. Any suggestions for Thursday?

Cheers,
Keith
kdo463

Timekeeping question

Postby kdo463 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:29 pm

For the days where we go for time, should I include resting time, if needed? Or should I stop the watch while I take 30-second or so breaks?

thanks
Keith
kdo463

Postby volleyball_man » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:59 pm

Welcome to the site.

For the "should I move up?" question - count the rest time on D3. I like to measure it and compare the amount I take resting from week to week. Actually doing the workout at a normal pace with no rest shouldn't take much more than 5 minutes if you think about it. So, I focus on reducing the rest time instead of how fast I'm doing the movements.
volleyball_man

Postby aussiechick » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:33 pm

Welcome Keith!

Yep as VBM said, count your rest times on day3. I can't see any problem with starting with L1D3 to get an idea where you are at.

On Day 1 I count any rest times as part of the 20 mins, I think thats the norm. Day 2 you don't count the 3 min rest between rounds, just add up your 5 rounds for a total time.

Hope that helps and I didn't just confuse you further!

Maybe some cardio on thursday?

Bec
aussiechick

Postby taifun » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:54 pm

Welcome Keith.

I don't see any reason you shouldn't go with L1D3 to start with. Should give you a decent pointer, and if it's too easy you can add some extra work afterwards.

Obligatory first question: Can you do one proper pull-up :?: :D
taifun

Thanks

Postby kdo463 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:15 am

Thanks everyone for the clarification and welcomes. I'll do L1D3 this afternoon and let you know exactly where I stand. I described simplyfit to my wife and she wants to give it a try too! So, this log will be for both of us. We might eventually have our 7-year-old son participate as well. Make it a family adventure!

So a little background. I'm just over 30 and am moderately active and in moderately decent shape, I guess. I need to stop putsing around with my workouts and start getting more serious about fitness. I'm about 185 lbs and would like to lose my Homer Simpson spare tire and put on muscle in exchange. Maybe take the weight down to 175, but functional fitness takes precidence over arbitrary measurements, of course.

Right now I can do about 5 honest pullups in a row, so I'm sitting good as far as that goes. By biggest weakness is endurance, especially with higher intensity workouts. I tried the Crossfit Elizabeth workout and couldn't make it through the first of 3 sets, even with scaling back the reps and weights. So, I'm thinking my Thursdays will be spent working on anaerobic endurance. I might do something like jumping rope, or power cleans with lower weights.

My wife's circumstances are pretty similar as far as fitness goes, except that she can't do a pullup. That's one thing she's looking forward to with this program.

One thing for her is that she had drastic changes in her metabolism after the pregancy with our son 7 years ago. The biggest change was that meat started making her sick. She went from a meat and potatoes girl to basically a vegetarian as a result, which was difficult, because she doesn't like vegetables. So, getting enough good protein is definitely a big issue for our family.

Anyway, I'll post my L1D3 results soon.
kdo463

Postby ucffool » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:55 pm

Well welcome to you both, and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
ucffool

Postby Admin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:47 pm

This is a relevant quote form Greg Everett of the PM who is extremely knowledgeable on such matters.

"try using a hydrolyzed protein supplement such as MRM's Metabolic Whey - the proteins are already broken down into smaller peptides and are much more easily digested. A large dose of non-hydrolyzed protein will kill me, but I can do as much as 100g/serving of hydrolyzed with no issues."

Welcome!
Admin
Site Admin

Holy smokes

Postby kdo463 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:56 am

L1D3: 1:13. Kipping pullups - 2 sets of 5. Honest pushups and squats.
Wow! I guess I underestimated myself big time. I think I'll jump to Level 3 this week.

Tracy, my wife, will be starting on L1D1 today. She's worried about the squats with her history of knee pain.
Last edited by kdo463 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
kdo463

Postby kdo463 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:50 am

Oh I forgot to add... We spent all day Saturday, like 9 hours, doing volunteer construction work. Lots of back work, lifting and digging, etc. Sunday was a total rest day. I'm surprised I'm not as sore as I thought I would be this morning. I think the prior week of attempted crossfit exercises may have prepared my body for the punishment. This may be a testimony to the value of functional fitness workouts!
kdo463

Postby kdo463 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:14 am

WEEK 1

Keith: L3D1 - 29 rounds. Normal pullups turned into kipping by round 11 and then eventually negatives by round 18. The pullups were the big limiting exercise. I could really start to feel the squats by the end. The pushups were easy. I think I might start putting my feet up on the cooler or something to make the pushups more challenging.

Tracy: L1D1 - 29 rounds. Subbed body rows for pullups. For her the rows and pushups were difficult. The squats she said she could do forever. She says she might like to switch to negatives for pullups and work toward doing a real pullup some day.

This was a great workout! We did it right before dinner in our backyard using the swingset for pullups/rows. The weather was a bit warm. It had been in the upper 90 for highs earlier that day and the sun was still hot, but a nice breeze.

It's hard to keep track of which round you're on when you are counting reps at the same time. We had a few interuptions because our son and dog were running around, but they were welcome breathers. Much better distractions that bats and birds as I've read from some others! It's fun working out with someone else. We plan to do this M-W-F each week. By the time winter comes around, I'll have built a pullup bar in our garage.
Last edited by kdo463 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
kdo463

Postby taifun » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:41 am

Good job both of you.

The body rows are an excellent tool for working towards pull-ups. At least it's working for me! Negatives are also good, but they work only the eccentric movement, body rows work both.
taifun

Postby kdo463 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:47 am

Good point. I think she'll try a combination of body rows and negative pullups.
Oops, I just realized I forgot to have her use 3 body rows for each prescribed pullup. She did just one. :oops: No wonder she said they were easy. :lol:
kdo463

Postby volleyball_man » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:01 am

Re - 1 bodyrow.
A lot of us chose to do only 1 as a sub initially. Not terrible to keep it easy til you get used to it....
volleyball_man

Postby Admin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:38 pm

Keep up the good work!
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to workouts