Simplefit.org • View topic - Sbudda's log

Sbudda's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Sbudda's log

Postby sbudda » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:14 pm

Alright... it's been 2 days since my first D1L1 workout. I'm sore, and quite irritable - though the latter is probably due to my recent insomnia rather than a complaint that is due to the workout :) Thought about postponing today's workout until tomorrow, but other posts on the board said my soreness should be better if I exercise so I'm gonna give it a shot.

This evening I should be starting D2L1.

Anyhoo, back to the log.

35 Rounds in 20 minutes.

First 10 rounds were complete with full chin-ups.
Last 25 were with negative pull-ups only, I modified the grip every 5 rounds. Alternating between pull-ups, chin-ups and parallel grip pull-ups.

My plan for today is to work on the 5 rounds with full pull-ups, alternating grips each set. Given the 3-5 minute rest period, I'm aiming to maintain a 4 minute rest period as I get into the swing of things.

In case anyone cares, I'm supplementing the simplefit workout with the following...

Tues, Thursday - 2 hours Aikido training (light, cause I'm still new at it) and 2 sets of interval training on the stationary bike.

Most Saturdays - 3 hours MMA training (also relatively light), cutting the grass :)

Sunday - 2 sets of interval training

A note on interval training... I'm using the 1,2 timing method. After a 3-4 minute light warm-up, I "sprint" for 1 minute, and "jog" for 2 minutes. The sprint and jog are part of a set. I hope to move up to 3 sets of interval training in a couple of weeks.

My warm-up starts out with 40 crescent kicks (10 each leg, each style) followed by a light cardio warm-up of high-knees, jumping jacks, burpees, skipping, calf-raises, and skanking (don't know the workout term, using the dance name :) ) for just a couple of minutes.

Cool down involves panting for 20 minutes while a swear at anything I look at :roll:. Also, stretching...
sbudda

Postby Hosedragger » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:43 pm

Cool down involves panting for 20 minutes while a swear at anything I look at

Had to chuckle at that. The panting for 20 minutes will get better after awhile. I only pant for 10 minutes or so now. And I usually just cry out of sheer relief when I'm done instead of swearing.. but to each his own..

Welcome!
Hosedragger
Advanced Member

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:22 pm

Welcome!
volleyball_man

L1D2

Postby sbudda » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:30 pm

Well, best laid plans and all of that...

I did manage to get through L1D2, but only barely. I had hoped the soreness would have gone away a little by the time that I started working out, but no such luck. I was only able to do 1 full chin-up this time. I remember reading on the forums that 3 negative chin-ups equals one full pull-up - so I split the difference and did a 2 for 1. All in all though, day 2 wasn't too bad. My 4 minute breaks may have been too long though as I kept getting bored and jogged in place while I waited so I didn't get too cool.

Push-ups aren't a problem for me so I did 7 each round rather than 6, just to keep in shape in that regard. Found one thing in my warm-up that I had been neglecting though - my arms! Gonna have to come up with a few to warm up that area by Friday.

With the breaks I didn't end up panting like a dog at the end of it; so the cool down was nice and relaxing. I did my normal stretches, and added a bit of the Aiki Taiso at the end too to keep my shoulders from tightening up. Seems to have done the trick. Especially the wrist stretches and the Tekubi Cosa's (Kosa?).

For those who don't know (of which there must be many!), the Taiso's are basic Aikido movement drills. It's kinda like Tai Chi, but not at all like it :) Tekubi Cosa is a movement where you stand like you're on a cross (nice imagery, yes?) and swing your arms to your center; then go back. Tekubi Joho Cosa has your arms in front of you (about eye high), and then back to your sides - though technically, the opposite of that.

I followed that all up with all the water in the house, two Advil, and a Flintstone's Complete. Yes, I like Flintstone's vitamins, what's it to ya?

Can't wait for day 3 because then I get 2 days of rest. Whew!

No swearing today! Oh yeah, 4:47
sbudda

Postby ucffool » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:07 pm

It will get easier, we promise...well, till L3, L5, and L7 :)
ucffool

Postby taifun » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:47 pm

Be nice Andy....

Welcome sbudda, you're on the right track!
taifun

Postby aussiechick » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:48 pm

Welcome Sbudda!

As "they" said the soreness will get better.

Bec
aussiechick

L1D3

Postby sbudda » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:40 am

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Ya'll don't need to worry, the soreness was expected and it seems to get better everyday. As I said in my last post, I rediscovered how much help Advil is when you're first starting out! That's usually how I can tell that I'm improving... 2 Advil this week, maybe I'll only need one next week...

Anyhoo, today I did my L1D3, and I pulled it all together in 3:59 (yes, I am going to give myself that last second :) )

Now, my pull-ups were horrible, but really that's to be expected. I haven't done pull-ups regularly since I was young enough that climbing a rope seemed like a good idea. I only made it to the top of that rope once :(

I probably could move on to L2 based upon my push-up and squat times - but I think I going to stay where I'm at for at least one more week. At least until I can actually do, oh let's say 5, full pull-ups rather than 2. Ah well, it's actually a lot of fun and D3 didn't leave me sore at all! Rock on.
sbudda

Postby taifun » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:55 am

Ah, the ever-returning question, when do we move on from L1? I think the consensus is do what you feel is right for you. There's still a lot of workout left in L1 :wink:
taifun

Postby volleyball_man » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:32 am

I used getting the under-5-with-only-real-pullups on D3 protocol. This was my personal choice. For me, I needed to force myself to be diligent and patient. I normally rush.
volleyball_man

Tragedy!

Postby sbudda » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:17 am

I missed my week 2 D1L1 workout due to a sprained hand. Seems to have healed up just fine and I'm looking forward to working out his evening.

But I've got a question. What workout should I do today? Should I pretend that I did D1 and start with D2, or should I do something else? I could do D1 today and D3 on Friday, or something along those lines. Any suggestions for how to get back into the workout when you've been forced to missed a day?
sbudda

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:36 am

I do the one I missed, unless it has been a while. If it has been a while, I do D1.
volleyball_man

Postby taifun » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:06 pm

Yeah, I agree with vbm, don't skip days :wink:
taifun

L1D1 Redux

Postby sbudda » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:37 am

I decided to go with D1 on Wednesday. Seemed the right thing to do, seeing as it's the day that wears me out the most. My numbers weren't nearly as good this time (22 sets) but my form was much better. Plus, I don't feel today as though riping my own arms off and eating them would be less painful than dealing with the soreness. Which is an improvement!

I've noticed that the first time I do an exercise, I tend to over do it. Like that one day a few years ago that I tried to do a whole bunch of squats. I did over 100 that day, and was sore for a week straight. So this week's numbers are probably more indicative of my ability, last week being more indicative of my enthusiasm.

I did switch it up a little bit though. Rather than 1/2/3 I did 1/3/3 just because the push-ups were too easy. I'll probably do D2 on Friday and get back into the right schedule on Monday.

You can tell how out of pull-up shape that I am by how sore my joints get. My muscles get a little sore but it's the elbow and shoulder joints that really make me slow down. Hummm, apparently not doing much of anything for the last 10 years has really made my joints out of shape. Who would have thunk! Looks like I'll be staying at level 1 for at least one more week while I let my elbows get used to 200 pounds of dead weight.

Did I mention that I've lost 5 pounds? I don't weigh myself regularly, but since the last time I weighed myself (maybe a month ago) I'm down to 200lbs even. In April I was up to 220, but I'm slimming down quite nicely. If I can make it another 10 pounds I'll be a pretty darn happy guy - except for having to buy new pants :)
sbudda

Postby ucffool » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:27 am

I'm particular, and a specific schedules helps me maintain simplefit and my life (rain throws me off because I workout outside). I had an injury, so I took a full week off because I wanted to do D1,D2,D3 but on the same schedule (Tues,Thurs, Sun). I substituted some extra walking just to keep up the calorie burn while giving my muscles the time to relax (it was an arm muscle that had issues).
You don't have to be that extreme, but not skipping a workout day is a good idea because each day contributes to a different skillset/benefit of the workout 'plan'.
ucffool

Next

Return to workouts