Simplefit.org • View topic - Lloyd's Adventure

Lloyd's Adventure

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Postby davidmk » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Hey Lloyd,

You sound like a traveling man. I am glad to hear that you have recovered from the cold. They are always frustrating but moreso when you have just started exercising.

I have the perfect pushup which I think is similar to what you used. On some days I have wrist issues so that is when I use it. They grow on you.

Way to explore your hotel room!
davidmk

Postby Lloyd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Yeah, the perfect pushup is pretty cool. I don't see one in my future, but at some point i may try elevated pushups. I don't have room to carry anything else!

Good news- I did a real pull up! On L1D2 the second pull up of each round was a real one. For some reason I have to jump to get the first one (psychological?) but the second one came from a dead hang on rounds 1,2,and 3.

L1D2

:59 (10 pushups by mistake)
:47
:51
:53
1:17

L1D3

Had to sub desk rows again-
20 desk rows- 2:08 unbroken
21 pushups, 5+6+5- finished at 4:24
21 squats 10+11 finished at 5:37
Lloyd

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:33 am

Congrats on the pullup. Keep a slow, steady progress on those!

Re: perfect pushup - try doing them on your knuckles (use a towel for a pad, if needed)
volleyball_man

Postby Lloyd » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:44 pm

Thanks! I am looking forward to doing more. I have done knuckle pushups in the past, they are easier on the wrists. I have been doing regular pushups with my hands at shoulder level. With knuckle pushups I end up bringing my elbows in so my hands are at about sternum level. Which is better?

Level 2 Day 1: 16 rds first 3 pullups unassisted.

I am going to be in one place for 12 days so I will get some consistency, and I rigged up a pull up bar. Unfortunately it is in a sunny spot, I am in Northeastern Thailand and it is unbelievably hot here. I think the heat robbed me of at least a few rounds. I will try working out in the shade next time!
Lloyd

Postby volleyball_man » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:51 am

Re: Pace on the Pullups: The caution comes from my own experience. I started with none in May, had one in June (I think), got excited and went too fast on the numbers of pullups without being careful. I am now battling some pretty severe elbow pain. Do shoulder dislocations.

Re: Pushup form: I'd vary the elbow angle. I am very long armed so I can't come close to doing them with elbows in... Elbows in works more triceps and elbows wide works more pecs.
volleyball_man

Postby Lloyd » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:42 am

Thanks for the tips. There are a lot of pullups on L2 D3 and I am going to do one or two real ones than sub bodyrows. That will also keep my time under several hours :)

I have been doing shoulder dislocates with a towel and I will keep doing 'em.

L2D2 The 40+ heat killed me on round 4 but the first three went well
1:29
1:27
2:06
did not finish....

I went ahead and did L2D3 10:20 overall. 4:52 pull ups + body rows subbing 3 for 1. About another 3 1/2 minutes for pushups, sets of 10,8,4,4 then 26 squats all in one set.

I am going to repeat L2 next week.
Lloyd

Postby Lloyd » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:23 am

L2D1 20 in 19: 20 subbing pull ups with desk rows 4 for 1 (3 for 1 was too easy this was a low desk)

L2D2 7:42 the first two-1/2 rds were real pullups, after that jumping and slowly lowering. The pushups were harder on L2D2 than I expected. Here are the round times:

1:04
1:22
1:43
1:39
1:54

Onward...

Lloyd
Lloyd

Postby davidmk » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:15 pm

Hey Lloyd,

That is great- 7-8 pull ups! Keep it up!
davidmk

Postby Lloyd » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:09 am

Thanks David! actually it is not that impressive- There are only 2 pullups per round on L2D2, so I did 5 real pullups, and not in a row. Today I did D3, which had 13 in a row and after the first two I had to jump.

L2D3 11:13

Pullups 5:22 in sets of 2, slight jump one everything after the first set
Pushups 10,5,5,3,3 probably another 5 min
Squats 23 unbroken

I am sure I am going to feel this one tomorrow. I am going to repeat L2, no reason to go up when I am having this much fun :)
Lloyd

Postby Urup » Thu May 01, 2008 8:34 am

Great Progress! Keep it up!
Urup

Postby Lloyd » Sun May 04, 2008 10:26 am

L2D2 19

I kipped! No jumping pull-ups this time, all kipping (overhand grip) or dead hang with an underhand grip.

I have tried to kip unsuccessfully many times before, but today I got it. I think that this video helped. Watching someone do weighted pull-ups while sucking the last bit of air out of a regulator showed the movement in a different perspective. No wasted energy here, this guy is just trying to get all that weight over the bar while struggling to breathe- basically my condition in shorts and a tee shirt with no breathing apparatus :)

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Cros ... erFran.wmv

The globo-gym scene is hilarious. This may be my all-time favorite video.
Lloyd

Postby Lloyd » Wed May 14, 2008 6:02 pm

Just realized the last post should have been L2D1, not L2D2. Anyway, today was L2D2 and I couldn't kip so I had to go back to jumping pullups on the first two rounds followed by body rows on the last three. I need a full-height bar to kip and I did this workout at an elementary school playground.

1:44
1:50
1:22 Switched to 3 for 1 body rows
1:36
1:27

L2D2 8:00 Total

I can't do a good dead hang pull up, but I can do a "rebound" pull up by jumping on the first one, lowering all the way down quickly and rebounding up when I hit the bottom. I am not sure why that's easier than a dead hang from the same bottom position.
Lloyd

Postby Lloyd » Sun May 25, 2008 6:38 pm

L2D3 last week 9:41

Next time I do D3 I am going to sub body rows from the start. I ended up switching at some point, I am not sure where. Pushups were 8,4,4,3,3,2,2 and the squats were unbroken.

L2D1=21 which is one higher than last time. The pushups are killing me here. I am pretty happy about all the pullups being legit, if kipping is legit. I am not sure if I actually got stronger or just learned to kip.

Onward...
Lloyd

Postby splint » Mon May 26, 2008 9:02 am

Lloyd, Great Job. Everything I've read indicates that learning the kipping pull-ups will benefit your dead-hang pull-up numbers, but not vice versa, i.e. better to use the kip than not. As you progress you may decide to add dead hang pull-up workouts eventually adding weight once or twice a week, after you do simplefit, you know, depending on how you feel and your ability to recover, experiment and all that jazz.

I think there's a "spring" type action when you lower and quickly rebound back into a pull-up versus if you go full dead-hang, that's why it seems a bit easier.

And remember, the kip may make doing the pull-up easier, but it also allows you to do more work, which is probably the reason you're working out, unless you're planning to enter a pull-up competition.
splint

Postby Lloyd » Sat May 31, 2008 3:50 am

L2D2 (3 pullups, 8 pushups, 13 squats)
1:07
1:08
1:20
2:13
1:50

Pushups are still the hard part. I am thrilled to be able to do three pullups in a row. I am doing kipping pull ups on an apparatus with a hammer grip.

Splint, thanks for the tips. I am going to try a dead hang pull up in a week or two. I am not planning on entering any pull-up contests, but in a way I have entered one with myself. Like everyone, I work out so I can have fun doing things that are physically demanding. But I want to be able to do a couple of pullups too, just because I haven't ever done that before. At least not as an adult. Most of my life I have just said "I can't do pullups." Now it looks like that might change :)
Lloyd

PreviousNext

Return to workouts