body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Finished Week 1

Postby MikeB » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:58 am

Just finished first week of Simple Fit:

L1D1 29 rounds
L1D2 3:34
L1D3 3:08

My pull ups are pretty weak. Hopefully, this program will help increase my numbers. I plan to find my max number this weekend to gage how I'm progressing.

Enjoy the weekend!
MikeB

Postby splint » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:14 pm

So are you able to do 10 pull-ups in a row?

Once you progress up levels, you won't need to test max pull-ups outside of the program since Day 3's will be your test days and you're unlikely to be able to do all D3 reps in a row every time. For example, on L2D3, if you do 8 pull-ups, rest, then do 5 pull-ups to complete the 13, the next week, you should try to do 10, rest, then 3, then eventually all 13. That's how you can keep track of your max.
splint

Postby MikeB » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:14 pm

No I can't do 10 in a row without rest.

What I want to do is to see how many in a row I can do in one set and then retest after a few weeks of workouts. I have struggled with pullups for about 2 years. I think it may be about time to move ahead and theses workouts seem to be the way to do that.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
MikeB

Postby splint » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:35 pm

MikeB wrote:No I can't do 10 in a row without rest.

What I want to do is to see how many in a row I can do in one set and then retest after a few weeks of workouts. I have struggled with pullups for about 2 years. I think it may be about time to move ahead and theses workouts seem to be the way to do that.

Well then wouldn't you have seen how many in a row you could do when you did Day 3? You can do an extra workout day of pull-ups if you want but make sure you get your rest days in there.
splint

Postby ucffool » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:07 pm

As splint said, rest is very important.
ucffool

Postby MikeB » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:53 am

splint wrote:
MikeB wrote:No I can't do 10 in a row without rest.

Well then wouldn't you have seen how many in a row you could do when you did Day 3? You can do an extra workout day of pull-ups if you want but make sure you get your rest days in there.

I probably should have done that. Instead I broke the pull up portion down into 5 sets of 2. I think I'll wait until day three next week and do a max test on the pull ups and get the rest in. Thanks.
MikeB

Postby splint » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:05 am

I probably should have done that. Instead I broke the pull up portion down into 5 sets of 2."

Oh, I actuall didn't think of that. I take that approach as well, especially in the later levels. Although when I first started out, I attempted to do as many as I could in a row on D3, but when I got to the 21 and 32 reps in the later levels I had to break it into sets. Well, maybe switch off every other week. Last week you broke it into sets of 2, next week, see how many you can do in a row. No biggie, it's flexible. You can even throw in a extra day if you want but I wouldn't do it every week, maybe once a month.
splint

Postby MikeB » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:53 am

splint wrote:
I probably should have done that. Instead I broke the pull up portion down into 5 sets of 2."

Oh, I actuall didn't think of that. I take that approach as well, especially in the later levels. Although when I first started out, I attempted to do as many as I could in a row on D3, but when I got to the 21 and 32 reps in the later levels I had to break it into sets. Well, maybe switch off every other week. Last week you broke it into sets of 2, next week, see how many you can do in a row. No biggie, it's flexible. You can even throw in a extra day if you want but I wouldn't do it every week, maybe once a month.

Good idea. I'll try that this week. Thanks.
MikeB

Return to workouts