Simplefit.org • View topic - Question

Question

body weight Fitness Goals

Moderator: cheapo

Question

Postby Kleft » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Hey

Is there some form of easy alternative to doing a pull up, im not particularly bothered that it doesn't exercise all the same muscles or anything, just something that i could substitute into the program. I don't have access to a pull up bar unfortunately.

Thanks

*edit* not sure if this is right sub forum but seemed like others asked beginner questions here as well.
Kleft

Re: Question

Postby Doji Grovesai » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Do you mean easy as in "easier to perform" or "easier to make use of because you don't have a pull up bar?"

You can snag pull up bars for around $20 just about anywhere, now.

If it's the exercise itself, here are a couple of ways to get bodyweight rows in...
- you can make/purchase suspension trainers for $9-40, which also has the advantage of being easier or harder based on your angle with the suspension straps.
- stick + two ends. Any sturdy stick (broomstick, steel pipe, bo staff, whatever you have around) with something to put it across (chairs, counter tops, etc). You don't get as much variation with your angles (like with suspension straps)
- the end of a table. admittedly, I don't like this option. It feels really really awkward, and I don't like it. I also have a circular table. If you have a table that would suffice, then go for it.

If you are outside, there are tree branches, playgrounds, and some parks have fitness trails that have pull up bars of varying heights.

Hope it helps. Good luck!
Doji Grovesai

Postby Kleft » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:35 am

Thanks, very helpful.
Kleft

Postby franklymydarling » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:04 pm

I've used the rafters in my attic wearing work gloves. Playgrounds are great; there's always monkey bars. Also, a lot of jogging trails have fitness stations with a bar. I want to get rings, but there's no good place for them in my house. There's a fitness station with metal bars near my house, maybe I'll do day three there!
franklymydarling
Advanced Member

Postby sean_x » Mon May 13, 2013 4:52 am

I seem to do a lot of 'door frame pulls' when away at work - for lack of places to exercise.
They are unilateral exercises, so one side at a time. I stand to the side of a doorway, facing it, then with one hand grab around the frame, place feet wider than shoulders and far forward, then bend the knees (bum out like in a squat). Gravity tries to make you fall back, so there’s plenty of resistance there, and if you need more you can push you’re body away from the wall with you’re free hand while pulling towards the doorframe with other hand. I find it quite effective, other muscles can be activated by either pulling low or high.
~Sean
sean_x

Return to Fitness Goals