Simplefit.org • View topic - Jason B's Goals

Jason B's Goals

body weight Fitness Goals

Moderator: cheapo

Jason B's Goals

Postby jasonb » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm 39yo male, 5'10", 227 lbs, 48" waist, 17" neck, body fat 35.79 %.

My goals are to get to 175 lbs, 32" waist (pant size) by my 40th birthday (Aug. 31, 09). Also, to be very active to where I can easily do 10 - 15 deadhang pullups. After getting conditioned via Simplefit, I'd like to do some weight lifting (Starting Strength or Stronglifts) to add on muscle and help my body prepare to be fit/strong into my 40's/50's, etc.

Superficially, in the long run I'd like to look like I could be one of the Spartans in the movie 300. The aesthetics would be great, but also for 'mental fitness'. :)

Edited for waist size: I wear a size 40 pants, but wanted an accurate measurement for calculating body fat percentage. I was shocked to see that I have a 48" waist. Frankly, I don't look it, but I have the classic spare tire (which I plan to lose this year!).
jasonb

Postby GutterSnipe » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:37 am

Go for it! There's nothing better you could do for yourself than to give yourself the gift of health. If you eat right, I think you can make good progress in less than an hour of work / week.

Right now I'm doing the simplefit workouts and then throwing in other stuff when I want to - but the only regimented workouts I do are simplefit. I find that I can't wait to do the next workout that way.

On diet - I think it's all about controlling your insulin levels. I've had good success over the last year following a paleo style of eating. www.modernforager.com is a good place to start - he challenges dogma and conventional thinking about what to eat.
GutterSnipe

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:51 am

Jason - you can do it.

Know this, the effort you put in at exercise is about a third of the process. What/how you eat is the real big deal. I did a lot of working out for a year and gained a lot of strength. The weight didn't fall off until I hit the zone diet.
volleyball_man

Postby Tara » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:50 pm

I completely agree with vb's comment that diet is huge in trying to get into shape. You have to think about the food that you are putting in your body as fuel. When I was in my 20's, I could cut calories and lose weight.

As I got older, I realized that I had to work out as well to maintain and/or lose. 40 was a huge wake-up call!! I realized that it was not just about how many calories I ate, but also what kind and when.

I do not like to eat first thing in the morning, but realized last year that I needed to eat within an hour of getting out of bed. It was a hard transition for me, because I liked to do aerobics on an empty stomach, but a few weeks of burning 600-800 calories a day, while eating 1200-1400 calories and losing nothing convinced me that I needed food first thing and then every 2.5-3 hours after that. I still cut down to 1200-1400 when I want to lose, but because I am fueling, my body does not go into starvation mode.

I also balance my carbs and protein. I have about 10-20% fat and limit my sugar and alcohol. I do allow myself one cheat day, but try not to go completely crazy on that day.

Hope this helps. Keep up the good work.
Tara

Return to Fitness Goals