Simplefit.org • View topic - Changeup's Update

Changeup's Update

body weight Fitness Goals

Moderator: cheapo

Changeup's Update

Postby changeup » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:12 am

I know it has been a long time since I have posted, but that doesn't mean I haven't been working.

My progress -- I started at 0 pullups, now can do 3 (nearly 4) unassisted. Pushups are around 25 (legal). And I still hate burpees! (but I do them).
I have lost 16lbs and drop a dress size or two.

Still struggling to get back to where I was four years ago. But I'm not rowing 10k a day like I used to do. I love being on the water, hate the erg... so I have taken up running instead.

Thank you Simplefit for helping me get back on track and giving me a very doable program. Kudos to Kevin and the whole community here.
changeup
Advanced Member

Postby volleyball_man » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:46 am

Nice work!
volleyball_man

Postby changeup » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:48 am

I've also been doing some Crossfit, but get worn out by their narrow-mindness about training. I know that must be just the box I use, because I have read some pretty switched-on stuff at the main xfit site. Still, I have read more open-minded and intelligent discussions about training here at SF.

I'm pleased with my progress. I stopped having "goals" other than just doing my workouts each day... and surprise surprise, I started shedding lbs and getting fitter.

Now to notch it up.
changeup
Advanced Member

Postby zorg » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:40 am

changeup wrote:I stopped having "goals" other than just doing my workouts each day....

That. It's always good to improve time, or weight, or whatever, but sticking with it is simply the most important factor, imo.

Keep it up!
zorg

Postby volleyball_man » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:48 am

I'm curious about the "narrow-mindedness," give me an example. As a new affiliate, all info is important to me.
volleyball_man

Postby changeup » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:22 am

You asked about narrow-mindedness and Crossfit. I've given this some thought. Here goes...

First, I think Crossfit is one of the most effective ways to get fit. No question. I have been pushing HIIT since I can remember. I am a huge fan.

I'm very impressed you started your own affiliate. I've been following your posts here for a year or so and you are always open to new ideas, no matter where they come from. You really listen.

Here is what I meant by narrow mindedness and why I have trouble with the main xfit site and my box.

To start with, I find the claim of "the World's Fittest Man and Woman" a stretch. A BIG stretch.

If you look at the past two xfit games, the winners (female 2008 and Men 2009) have been people who are relatively new to xfit. Their athletic skill was developed elsewhere. I love that they have been applauded and respected by the xfit community. But can crossfit take the "credit" for their achievements? One of the top female finishers at the 2009 games was a 19-year-old track (looks like a heptathlete) athlete who does boot camps.

At my box there are people who walk around with T-shirts that read: "Your workout is my warm-up". Give me a break. I know masters athletes who would eat EVERYONE at my affiliate for lunch. Hell I'm on top of the whiteboard for one event and that is so wrong... I'm more out of shape and fatter than the younger women there.

I find that if an exercise protocol is not "crossfit approved" it is ignored. For example, why the lack of mirrors? They are a great feedback tool. Some people learn visually. And crossfit exercises seem to be all vertical (HSPU, Pull ups, push ups, burpees, erging, Olympic lifts). Why not steal some lateral training methods from football, downhill, track or even --ahem -- volleyball?

Some boxes are very open. I checked out Guelph's and they do all sorts of cool things. And I've seen some online that are very inventive.

I've spent a lot of time around some great athletes. What they have in common is a real thirst to improve and will use whatever tool they can to improve.

But when I hear people at my box run down boot camps and "globo" gyms, and non-crossfit trainers/coaches, I just grit my teeth.

You have to give respect to anyone who is trying to get fitter, even if it's the person on an elliptical reading a book. It could be better, but at least they are trying.

There are so many things I respect about crossfit. I think that 10 years from now training methods promoted by crossfit will be improved and look different from today’s. Crossfit will have a significant impact on the entire fitness community. No doubt about that.

From what I know about you, I bet you are running a super affiliate. Best of luck and if I ever get out your way (where is it?) I will definitely stop in.

PS: I've been following the 2009 Xfit Games. Kudos to them. It would have killed me!
changeup
Advanced Member

Postby changeup » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:24 am

Zorg. Thanks for the encouragement. One foot in front of the other (or one burpee after the other) is my new philosophy. It's working.
changeup
Advanced Member

Postby volleyball_man » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:14 pm

Hey - I appreciate your thoughts and your compliments.

A factor of CrossFit that a lot of people ignore is the "Regularly learn and play new sports" i.e. CrossFit alone isn't enough. This is one of their statements.

I agree that the football player needs a workout adapted to his physical demands. The now is a CrossFit Football program. Maybe, just maybe, I need to create the volleyball version.

I definitely don't think it's for everyone. I know it works for me. I also know all about trends taking a life. Soon there will be CF snobs who make fun of the puerile newbies. I likened the CF movement to the punk movement said that soon there will be a lotta fakes in the name of CF, like Green Day. I was severely chastised! No opinions that don't agree with the populous here buddy! HA

Find a group who don't have that personality. We don't.

Peace!
volleyball_man

Postby changeup » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:41 pm

I'm moving so I will find a new group.
I love the punk rock analogy! hahahaha... good one!

Good luck with yours. Where is it?
changeup
Advanced Member

Postby changeup » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:48 pm

Forget last question. Just checked your website. Tres cool.
changeup
Advanced Member

Postby ianjb » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:21 am

It's threads like this one that make me so happy I found this site. This community is so: friendly, supportive, thoughtful and real. I feel like I have a lot of friends here. Thanks to Kevin for hosting this site and all who contribute here!
ianjb

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:46 pm

Glad you like it.

Cheers
Admin
Site Admin

Postby scumdogg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:55 pm

Just a quote I found on Brand-X's scaled WOD message board that sort of applies:

“The point of CF is to get better at life. Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.“

I think that if the average person was introduced to crossfit with that philosophy instead of having a run-in with a screaming hardcore guy wearing a "Your workout is my warm-up" shirt, then they might be more willing to try crossfit.
scumdogg

Postby changeup » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:51 pm

I think that if the average person was introduced to crossfit with that philosophy instead of having a run-in with a screaming hardcore guy wearing a "Your workout is my warm-up" shirt, then they might be more willing to try crossfit.

Exactly! It's all fun.
Like I said, I'm going to find a new affiliate. And I will continue doing my SimpleFit (and run hills --ggrrrr -- in the park).
changeup
Advanced Member

Postby volleyball_man » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:39 am

I LOVE having a 45 year old female client who has lost 40 lbs since February workout next to a guy who has 2:39 Fran time. Both support each other.
volleyball_man

Next

Return to Fitness Goals