Simplefit.org • View topic - a small victory

a small victory

body weight Fitness Goals

Moderator: cheapo

a small victory

Postby NatureDoc » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:42 pm

So,

Tonight I was out with some girlfriends whom I haven't seen since Christmas. Bob (who's real name is Serina, but we've called her Bob since grade 8... don't ask, I can't really explain, but alas, I digress) says to me, "You look really fit." Without even batting an eye I say, "Thanks, I am fit." Relieved she replies, "Oh good, I wasn't sure if that was an appropriate thing to say."

I'm fit. And I know it. Isn't that a Streets song? Regardless, I felt really good about that. My hard work is paying off. Of course, I'm doing this work for my own well being, but it's kinda nice to get noticed. I've never been called fit before. I wanted to share it with the community here at simplefit, because I really appreciate everyone's commitment and encouragement.

Thanks guys!
Tonia
PS: Kevin, I got a nice simplefit.org plug in there too...
NatureDoc
Advanced Member

Postby volleyball_man » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:21 am

In my quest for Sainthood, I run from these types of things. Humility is so important to me. As more people try to tell me how awesome I look (and they do almost every day), I find that I have to spend time ridding myself of arrogance. The workouts I'm doing are making this more and more difficult. And, for some reason, this is part of the motivation I have to continue doing them. Damn!

It's a slippery slope - ah forget it.

I'll just try my best not to "appear" vain. Vanity can really distract from beauty. That way people will think that I AM awesome and not just awesome to look at. Damn!

Tonia - it feels good, don't it?! Congrats on your changes!
volleyball_man

Postby NatureDoc » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:21 am

Hey Brad! Thanks for the response! Here are some more of my thoughts:

It's interesting, alright. Over the past year I've lost 30 pounds, and of course people notice that kind of thing, and will comment. I've heard everything from "you're disappearing" to "I'm jealous" to "are you eating?" - and these comments coming from my loved ones! There was the odd, "good for you, you look amazing" but it seemed most of the comments were rooted in other peoples insecurities.

And not to mention the new attention from the opposite sex. This I'm still not used to. It's been a pretty interesting journey to start at a place where men noticed my friends to a place where men notice me. And I'm not saying that this is purely physical because this body transformation goes hand in hand with some pretty intense emotional/mental/spiritual work that I've been doing too. It's just intriguing to witness how people's perceptions of me have changed - or perhaps I would argue how my perceptions of people's perceptions of me have changed. [rattles head, blinks]

Last night's comment impressed me because of the content. You're really fit. This was not junked up on someone else's s***, nor was this a comment about weight loss. This was a true recognition of my improved health and a testament to my commitment. It tickled me pink (or is that the sunburn? ;) Health is the essence of my career, and my life. Another beautiful comment I've received was from one of my all-time, top 5, mentor, favorite women who said, "Wow! You're a tribute to the work you're doing [as a Naturopathic Doctor]!" I think this had the same implication of a) dedication, b) awareness, c) positive behavior modelling (important for my patients), and d) straight up health. Good on me! I am in the best shape of my life - I'm really excited about that! Everything I have gained on this journey can be transferred to my patients. If I can help someone else feel this good, I would be exstatic.

At first I was really awkward about it, and tried to avoid the comments, but after I while, and after I got more comfortable in my smaller body I was just able to say, "Thank you, I've been working hard, I'm really proud of myself."

I think in general that people have trouble accepting compliments gracefully, often because of what you mentioned, Brad: the fear of being percieved as vain. As I alluded to earlier, what other people think isn't our issue. People will think what they will, and there is nothing we can do about it. Don't own it, don't spend time on it. Something I've learned is that the things/people/comments/events that we react to are not about the things/people/comments/events at all, but about our selves and how we CHOOSE to react to those things/people/comments/events. The trick is recognizing what you're meant to learn. But, I do think it is important to recognize our accomplishments and be proud of ourselves. We don't need to go posting it on billboards but if some one says something amazing like, "You're really fit," I think the most graceful thing to do is say, "Thank you". Of course often these comments catch us off guard, and I also think it's ok to let out that surprised, "Oh!" slip out before the thank you.

Anyhoo, clearly I could talk for days about this, but it's time to go get my (simple)fit on!

Tonia
NatureDoc
Advanced Member

Postby volleyball_man » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:14 am

volleyball_man wrote:
Tonia - it feels good, don't it?! Congrats on your changes!

You realize I was making fun of me?

I have posted comments requesting pats on the back - more than once. Part of the successes we have in here, I think, are directly related to the social nature of what we are doing - which is positive. Definitely "good on you" for what you have accomplished and even more good on you for having the chutzpah to share you experiences with your patients and all of us in here!

As a teacher, I find that I more often have success teaching the students things that were not so easy for me the first go around (or 2 or 3 ...). My failures are now diamonds. If it all came easy to me - I wouldn't be able to teach. I'll go so far as to say that the person who has been slim (genetically) all of her life will have no where near the believability to a patient trying to lose weight as one who has walked that path. The communication tools from experience are just too important.

In short - the best teacher is example.

Now - go tear down that shower rod!

:D
volleyball_man

Postby Admin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:47 pm

Congratulations, You guys have been working hard and deserve to feel proud!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby NatureDoc » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:55 pm

:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :!: :!: :!: :!:
NatureDoc
Advanced Member

Postby taifun » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:53 am

volleyball_man wrote:
As a teacher, I find that I more often have success teaching the students things that were not so easy for me the first go around (or 2 or 3 ...). My failures are now diamonds. If it all came easy to me - I wouldn't be able to teach. I'll go so far as to say that the person who has been slim (genetically) all of her life will have no where near the believability to a patient trying to lose weight as one who has walked that path. The communication tools from experience are just too important.

In short - the best teacher is example.
:D

From my past teaching experience, and as a semi-practicing martial arts instructor, I must agree. I've taught subjects I find easy (basic computer networking and similar) and really not felt that I got through. Then again I've taught advanced subjects in the same field to the same students, and really found it easier. Same thing with martial arts, something that have never come easy to me.

T.
taifun

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:09 am

Wow similar backgrounds

I taught
Linux system administration for UC Berkeley extension.
Rickson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu for the UCLA athletics program.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby taifun » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:14 pm

Three years of teaching Cisco and Microsoft certification curriculum at a private school and three years Taekwon-do at my local club.

Sorry for invading your thread Tonia, congratulations on your excellent progress.
taifun

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:17 pm

Oops, yeah sorry
Admin
Site Admin

Postby NatureDoc » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:52 pm

Woah! Who woulda thought the entire world's population of Geeks of Martial Arts & Computers (or g-macs as I like to call them) would have all simultaneously congregated here on this fitness focussed website! Coincidence? I highly doubt it. Conspiracy? The most probable explanation.

ha!
no worries about interrupting the thread!
t
Last edited by NatureDoc on Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NatureDoc
Advanced Member

Postby volleyball_man » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:16 pm

In between math jobs (the martial arts of academia)
I taught Java, VB, C++, Web Design (XHTML/CSS) and all of the EVIL MS Office - note that I didn't put a trademark on MS. Come and get me.

I will say that teaching in the CS/CIS field is taxing. Everyday you re-learn the material because it's gone. Newton and Leibniz pretty much didn't need new releases or updates....

Nice progress thread!

Tonia - we like ya!

-Brad
volleyball_man

Postby NatureDoc » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:38 pm

Well, while we're on this line intersecting a circle at one point in my progress thread, I will say that if I had a time machine I would go back and eliminate Newton. No gravity. No laws of motion. No calculus. Just think how peachylife would be!!! And don't try to tell me that all those things would still exist, because I don't buy it. Newton's to blame. He's the one who's preventing me from nailing that pull-up. He's the one who makes me spill on myself everytime I try to drink from my water bottle. He's the one who causes me to trip when the sole of my shoe gets caught on a little peice of cement that is unlevel with the rest. Down with Newton!

I'm not trying to put you out of a job, Brad. I just have always fantasized about what life would be like if he hadn't existed.

Ha!
Deary me
t
guarenteed I'll be reading this one back to myself and saying, "That is funny stuff, Tonia"
NatureDoc
Advanced Member

Postby taifun » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:11 pm

volleyball_man wrote: Newton and Leibniz pretty much didn't need new releases or updates....

I'm pretty sure there's a joke in there about updates from Apple, but I am going to refrain...
taifun

Postby volleyball_man » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:54 am

The computer and all of it's relatives would be the first thing to vanish. The speed of your connection is determined and has been improved by applying calculus to the wave forms the data travels on....

Bye Calculus - Back to the pre-industrial age, bye automobiles,

God - we'd all have to be "healthy." No pollution. No air travel. No smog.

I gotta tell ya - my wife's family used to live in the heart of Amish country outside of Cleveland. There's also a pretty huge community in Tennessee - near where I am. I always kinda fantasized about that lifestyle (Witness). As I type this, I am encouraged to take a micro-break by my handy program (thanks Andy for the tip) and it somehow seems more inviting to go back.

Of course - my love of things mathematical comes from the beauty in the abstraction itself - not in it's applications. Kinda like the telescope pointing at the stars - instead of the competition....
volleyball_man

Next

Return to Fitness Goals