Simplefit.org • View topic - Farmer's walk

Farmer's walk

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Farmer's walk

Postby scumdogg » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:00 am

I'm wondering if anyone has included farmer's walks into their home fitness routines? For those not familiar with them, a farmer's walk is when you grab some heavy objects (usually dumbbells for those lucky enough to have a gym membership) and then start walking, just like a framer carrying heavy feed pails. When you can't hold on any longer, you place them on the ground, take a breather, then pick them up and walk some more. You'll be amazed at how quickly you're heart rate goes up and how hard you'll be breathing (not to mention at how much agony your shoulders, arms and upper back will be in).

I'd like to start doing framer's walks at home but don't have any dumbbells. I do, however, have some 2x2 concrete patio stones. I figure that picking the stone up would constitute a squat, then I'd hold it in my arms and walk around the backyard. I think that might be a good addition to my crossfit training and will build some usable strength. The only problem I have is, what do I tell the neighbours when they ask me what the heck I'm doing? :D
scumdogg

Postby samjackson » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:26 am

Sounds interesting. I wonder if these qualify as a pulling excercise?
samjackson
Advanced Member

Postby scumdogg » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:56 am

I think of them as a cross between an isometric exercise, cardio, and self-torture :D
scumdogg

Postby Admin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:05 pm

Very good exercise, I only include stuff that requires no equip but fw is an outstanding functional exercise and should be done if you have the stuff and inclination.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to fitness training