Simplefit.org • View topic - robbiew's log

robbiew's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

robbiew's log

Postby robbiew » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi all,

First post, first training session! Hope it's the start of something good..that being improving my fitness and removing that awful ring of fat around my middle :cry:

I'm a 48 yr old man, 5' 4", not particularly unfit but would like to improve my all around general fitness and health.

I've just completed L1D1; 35 rounds I think (lost my count a few times!) substituting 1 X pullup for 3 X horizontal pullups. I did them slowly so I really felt my muscles working! I need to strengthen my upper body and lose a few pounds before I'll be able to do good pullups!

I'm not sure what to do on those inbetween days..I plan to follow the routines on M,W,F basis..any suggestions will gratefully received!

That's it for today, looking forward to following the rest of the program. This a good site, there is so much cr*p on the internet so it's nice to find one that suits my circumstances. I work full time nights on my own (I will be training in my workplace!) I sleep some and look after my youngest daughter in the day so I don't have much time to train. These workouts are ideal for me..thanks!
robbiew

Postby Tara » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:32 am

Good luck and welcome!! I have been very pleased with the results (even though I am still working on doing a pull-up) of this program. I never thought I would be able to do 100 push-ups and now can, plus body rows have really made a difference in my biceps (a notoriously weak spot for me.)

I do the program 3 times a week (W-F-Su), do some form of cardio M-F (I do more high intensity on M-T-Thu, low intensity on W & F), yoga on Saturday and play Sunday by ear; sometimes a walk, sometimes just the workout.

I think it is up to you and your goals what other things that you do. My advice would be to add things slowly (if you are not currently doing a lot of cardio.) Try something for a couple of weeks and if you feel good, add another day. Again, good luck!!
Tara

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:04 am

Do a month of SF with nothing else first. Then add.

Welcome and good luck!
volleyball_man

Postby anubis » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:04 am

Cardio will help the ring around the belly. I jog and bike for basic cardio and find biking a decent low impact cardio alternative to jogging if you're not into that. Certainly heed the above advice and add stuff slowly so you don't overdo it/injure yourself and most importantly so you remain consistent in your workouts.
anubis
Advanced Member

'Tennis elbow'

Postby robbiew » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:52 am

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately, I had to stop using the program the day after I'd started it..I had 'tennis elbow' or lateral epicondylitis my doctor said! I had to dig a large area of turf out of my garden ready to lay a patio..went a bit crazy with the shovel and ended up damaging the tendon in my elbow :cry: I've had to rest it for most of this month but it's ready for action again!

I've bought a door gym in the meantime so I can start pratising lots of pullups!! Fingers crossed for no more setbacks...
robbiew

Postby anubis » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:51 am

Ouch! I recently did the same thing when I got over-zealous about doing chin-ups and didn't listen to the signs that I was injuring myself i.e. pain! Glad to hear you're recovered. Watch the elbows and Giv'er!!
anubis
Advanced Member

Postby robbiew » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:38 pm

Well, after my enforced layoff, I decided to do L1D3 to see where I was physically. First, I did this bodyweight warm-up 2 times before I started:

Plank 30 secs
Prisoner squat X 15
Push-ups X 10
Prisoner Split Squat X 10/side
Stick-ups X 10
Side Plank X 30 secs/side

I haven't got a timer so I used the minute hand on the clock on the factory wall to count the seconds!! Not ideal but it gave me a reasonable enough reading...3mins 10secs give or take some seconds. Whatever the exact time was, it was less than 5 mins :)

The push-ups and squats weren't a problem but the pull-ups made me work! The first 6 I did without a break, #7 I put my feet on the floor then pulled myself up. #'s 8, 9 & 10, I dropped off the bar for a second then got back on to finish them.

Quite pleased with myself..elbow was fine also, hopefully I don't get any pain in it tomorrow.

I think I'll start L2 next week!
robbiew

Postby robbiew » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:58 am

I thought I'd weigh myself today as I'm starting the program properly now...174 lbs. I'm not too bothered about losing any more weight; I've always weighed around 180 lbs when I was training regularly. Its just that layer of fat that's inhabiting my torso that's proving difficult to shift. I suppose if it took about 4 years to put on, I've got to be patient in regard to removing it!
robbiew

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:30 am

You get abs in the kitchen! Good luck!
volleyball_man

Postby robbiew » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:43 pm

I agree with you about the kitchen bit. I've stopped eating white bread..if I fancy a sandwich it's chicken breast, salad in a tortilla wrap. No fizzy drinks, only skimmed milk with oatmeal for breakfast instead of sugar-loaded cereals. I eat vegetables every day now...something I haven't done since I was a kid! I'm changing my diet gradually and trying to bring the wife and kids along with me as well..I have to, 2 different shopping lists is well expensive!!
robbiew

Postby robbiew » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:40 pm

Tonight I did L1D1:

Warm up:

Plank 30 secs
Prisoner squat X 15
Push-ups X 10
Stick-ups X 10

I did 64 rounds...seems quite a lot! I did all the exercises with the tempo 1-0-1. A month ago pullups were just too difficult, but having done loads of inverted rows I cant believe how much that has helped.

I finished off with 3 sets of:

Bicycle crunches X 30
Back bridge 45 secs

Enjoyed doing it tonight.. made me sweat and my forearms feel a little sore!
robbiew

Postby robbiew » Fri May 01, 2009 5:28 pm

Had some spare time at work tonight, so I got my door gym out my car and did some circuit training.

Warm up:

2 sets of:

10 x squats
10 kneeling pushups
12 bicycle crunches

Bodyweight circuit of three sets, 45 seconds rest between sets:

15 inverted rows
25 prisoner squats
20 pushups
20 burpees
10 close grip pushups
20 mountain climbers
10 chin-ups
12/ side step-ups on box
45 secs plank
30 secs/side side planks

The third round was a killer and I always take a breather after doing burpees..they are an evil exercise! I did kipping chin-ups, still had to drop off the bar towards the end of each ten to rest my arms for a second.

Thats it til Monday when I shall be starting on L2D1 :)
robbiew

Postby robbiew » Tue May 05, 2009 4:43 am

Today I did L2D1.

I usually train in the evenings while I'm at work, but found a bit of time at home today. I have to say I prefer working out in the evenings..everything felt a bit tight today even after doing my usual warm up of:

2 rounds:
Plank 30 secs
Prisoner squat X 15
Push-ups X 10
Stick-ups X 10

The number of rounds D1 I completed were 46 which is;

46 pull-ups (from dead hang)
138 push-ups
184 squats....looks impressive when you write out the actual total/ exercise completed!

The only problem I had today was with my grip, towards the end of the 20 minutes I was almost hanging on to the bar with my finger tips. Hopefully my grip strength will increase the more pull-ups I do.

When I first looked at Simplefit I thought it looked too easy to be of any value..I now know different. Even these early levels are challenging so I can only imagine what the higher levels are like! I wonder if anyone has found them easy??
robbiew

Postby zorg » Tue May 05, 2009 8:53 am

robbiew wrote:When I first looked at Simplefit I thought it looked too easy to be of any value..I now know different. Even these early levels are challenging so I can only imagine what the higher levels are like! I wonder if anyone has found them easy??

The workouts never get easier, but you will get fitter all the time. :)
zorg

Postby robbiew » Tue May 05, 2009 1:35 pm

I only hope I get to that level of fitness before my body grinds to a creaking halt!! :D
robbiew

Next

Return to workouts