Simplefit.org • View topic - Prometheus' workout log

Prometheus' workout log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Prometheus' workout log

Postby prometheus » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi there, I'm new and thought I'd give a brief summary of my stats/fitness goals.

I'm a 21 year old male, around 130 lbs, and unlike just about everyone else on this forum, I'm looking to GAIN weight, rather than lose it; specifically muscle. I have some fat as well that I'd like to get rid of, but I really don't want to weigh any less than 130, so I've decided to make gaining muscle my goal for now, and then maybe try to shed some fat at some later point. I believe I'm around 14% body fat, but it seems to vary quite a bit depending on how I measure it.

I really, really like the format of this program, and it looks like the kind of thing I could stick with. It doesn't take up much time, tells you exactly what to do and how to progress, and It can be done virtually anywhere at all, so there's no excuse for not getting your workout in.

What I'd like to ask for from the community is any feedback or encouragement possible, since I know that the more I feel like people are checking up on my progress and commenting on it, the more I will be motivated to keep this up. I would love to start recommending this program to other people I know too, but first of all I'd like to try it out a bit for myself so that I have some basis for recommendation.

On that note, I started my first workout yesterday,
starting at level 2, and since it was wednesday I started on day 2. Based on the workout logs I've read so far, I've decided to do all of my day 2s untimed, since I could really use one day a week to just concentrate on getting perfect form, without thinking about time. I did the 5 sets of 3 pullups, 8 pushups and 13 squats, and it was more difficult than I expected....

My max for each exercise in one set is usually 5-6 pullups, around 25 pushups, and probably about 50-60 squats, but when going super slow and trying to get perfect form each time, I really had to struggle through that 5th set; I only got 7 pushups in the final set. I'm looking forward to L2D3 tomorrow to see how I'm doing, but I'm almost positive I'll take at least another week of L2 just to consolidate my strength and make sure I am 100% ready to move on.

I'm really looking forward to all this program has to offer, and am really glad that I found it. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
prometheus

Postby Ruli » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:17 pm

welcome to SF prometheus!!!
your workout does'nt look too bad - keep it up!!!
i'm a noob myself, only in my 7th week of SF. looking forward to follow your progress.
Ruli

Postby DonQuijote » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:12 pm

Welcome Prometheus!

I won't make any comments about building muscle as I'm not sure it's something that my body's capable of. Chest hair? Now that's another matter entirely!!

If you want encouragement then you've definitely come to the right place. It works like this, you keep telling us how you're getting on and we'll keep telling you how great you're doing!

There will be setbacks e.g. I had a chest infection which knocked me out for a few weeks but the guys here were awesome.

Enjoy the workouts, and keep posting.
DonQuijote
Advanced Member

Postby anubis » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:07 am

Welcome. You'll definitely gain muscle, increase fitness and loose fat from doing these workouts, but don't expect to "bulk up". Otherwise enjoy!
anubis
Advanced Member

Postby Norman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:28 am

Hi prometheus , welcome !
Norman

Postby prometheus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Thanks for all the warm welcomes guys! I have been reading the message boards here for a few days now and what I love about them is just how supportive everyone is to each other, and I love that you are already showing me so much support. This is exactly the kind of motivation I need.

I know that it's difficult to get bulky with this kind of regime, and I have no intention to become huge and muscle bound, but I would like gain some muscle and to weigh a healthier weight for a male of my height (5-9 ish). a goal for me would be weighing 160-180 while having a bf of 8-12% one day, but I don't know how realistic that it. In any case, any improvement on overall fitness will be reward enough for me, and reason enough to do this program.

Today I did L2D3, and was definitely not impressed with my results:

8:45
Pullups: 5-3-2-2-1
Pushups: 13-7-3-3
Squats:26
overall form: 9/10 (I'm going to give myself a grade on form every time, just to compensate for things like failing to go through full rom, and so I can account for any discrepancies)

The pullups took me soo long to complete..I know that pullups are a big challenge for many people here, how long do you usually rest between pullups when dividing them up like I did?

I was also really surprised by how hard I found the pushups. I am so used to doing them very quickly, and as a result with poor form. Taking the time to really go through the entire ROM and slowly lowering and raising myself is much more taxing. On a positive note, I gave myself a 9/10 for form for most of the exercises, so I guess as long as I'm consistent with good form then I should see some good strength gains eventually.

I'm staying level 2 next week. I have a feeling I'll stick around this level longer than I had anticipated, but that just means more potential room for improvement!
prometheus

Postby DonQuijote » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:13 pm

Don't get too disheartened. I'd be happy with that result.

Pullups are the killer for me. I'm 5'9" with not a huge amount of muscle action going on. L1D3 with 10 pullups is difficult, I'd definitely struggle to do more.

I suspect you'd find L1 too easy. Stick with L2 and the strength will come.

You're focusing on form which is great, you'll benefit more from the workout.

Have a great weekend.
DonQuijote
Advanced Member

Postby Ruli » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:24 pm

nice workout prometheus.
i'm starting with lvl2 on monday, which is nice cause then we can compare notes!
as for "how long do you usually rest between pullups when dividing them up like I did?", my advice would be to listen to you body. i normally just stand around for a few seconds. if i'm strugling too much with the second set, i rest a bit longer before starting the 3rd. i also keep my arms moving so my muscles don't think the exercise is finished!
Ruli

Postby prometheus » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:47 pm

thanks for the comments/encouragements guys!

ok, so as per my last post I'm gonna stay with L2 for awhile, until I feel like I've gotten a more solid grip on it.

today, L2D1 (my first D1 in this program!):
25 rounds

I felt pretty decent about the workout. I didn't get so many rounds that I felt like I should move up, but it was still a good solid number. I think I paced myself relatively well, in that I wasn't overly exhausted but also felt like I had a good workout. I probably could have gone a little faster and gotten a few more rounds in, but my form would have suffered. I know that having 2 pullups in a row for this in L3 is gonna make things a lot tougher, so I'm enjoying the single pullup sets while I can.

by the last few rounds the pullups and pushups were starting to lean a bit to one side, so I guess one of my arms which is stronger seems to be compensating for the other.... I will definitely focus on that during my D2 workout concentrating again on form.

did I mention I love these workouts? this is addictively and deceptively simple and yet effective! And there's no excuse not to do them..... I'm so glad I found this site.
prometheus

Postby Blueraider_mike » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:50 pm

prometheus wrote:thanks for the comments/encouragements guys!

ok, so as per my last post I'm gonna stay with L2 for awhile, until I feel like I've gotten a more solid grip on it.

today, L2D1 (my first D1 in this program!):
25 rounds

I felt pretty decent about the workout. I didn't get so many rounds that I felt like I should move up, but it was still a good solid number. I think I paced myself relatively well, in that I wasn't overly exhausted but also felt like I had a good workout. I probably could have gone a little faster and gotten a few more rounds in, but my form would have suffered. I know that having 2 pullups in a row for this in L3 is gonna make things a lot tougher, so I'm enjoying the single pullup sets while I can.

by the last few rounds the pullups and pushups were starting to lean a bit to one side, so I guess one of my arms which is stronger seems to be compensating for the other.... I will definitely focus on that during my D2 workout concentrating again on form.

did I mention I love these workouts? this is addictively and deceptively simple and yet effective! And there's no excuse not to do them..... I'm so glad I found this site.

Good intensity!!! Keep it up.
Blueraider_mike

Postby Ruli » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:17 pm

"did I mention I love these workouts? this is addictively and deceptively simple and yet effective!"
I CANNOT AGREE MORE!!!!
Ruli

Postby DonQuijote » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:20 pm

That's what got me onto Simplefit in the first place.

I'm just not a gym person but I love the fact that Simplefit is something I can do at home. The routine's look simple but I'm not so complacent by the end of a workout!
DonQuijote
Advanced Member

Postby prometheus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:01 pm

L2 D2
overall form: 9/10
I continue to do this one untimed and concentrate on form. I can tell that this is a really crucial step for me, since as soon as my main focus is form, everything gets a lot harder, and my max reps for everything goes down. I was pretty pleased with my form on most of it, and as a result in my 5th set I only managed to complete 6 pushups instead of 8.... that's one less than last week for the final set, but I think I was a) going slower this week, and b) am doing my pushups on a slight decline unlike last week. I do my workout at a little grassy field near my house, and there's no place that isn't on a slight slant, so I figured better make them slightly harder than slightly easier.

I'm glad that both pullups and pushups are challenging for me, rather than just one or the other. It makes me feel more balanced, and like I can get more out of this level without feeling the need to rush through due to certain muscles not getting worked out enough. The squats are still coming very easily, so I am really going as slowly and deliberately as possible on each rep to get the most out of it. I expect that as the levels go up I will fondly look back on how easy my legs had it now.
prometheus

Postby Ruli » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:27 pm

nice work prometheus!
Ruli

Postby volleyball_man » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:07 am

First: welcome to SF!

Second: I like that you are focusing on form. This will give you better results and fewer injuries!

Third (feeling cardinal - sorry): You will find that one move gets good while another lags, then they switch! One week you'll really feel the pullups, next it'll be the squats that get you.

Fourth: We all have strengths and weaknesses. I am 6'4 and have long legs. My 400m time is at 65 seconds. On a really good day I can string 10 pull-ups together - my wingspan is 6'10! HA! This also gives me issues with push-ups. I focus on being able to improve with what I have.
volleyball_man

Next

Return to workouts