Simplefit.org • View topic - rulfzid's log

rulfzid's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

rulfzid's log

Postby rulfzid » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Howdy,

Getting started with Simplefit this year, as it seems to fit my workout needs perfectly.

I really like the idea of this workout log sub- forum, as I think a little public accountability will really help me be consistent with my workouts.

As with many other loggers, my main focus will not be number of rounds, or time of completion, but rather perfect form. Consistency of doing the workouts should result in progress in the other 2.

• Pushups: slow and smooth, full range of motion, keep body tight and "planked"
  • Pullups: slow and smooth, no kipping at this point, wide neutral grip (my door-hanging pullup bar doesn't really make a standard pullup grip convenient, but i think the wideness mitigates the neutral grip a little), full range of motion, especially at the top and bottom
  • Squats: keep the back arched, get good depth, don't be lazy with knees (quick question: is anybody going ass-to-heel, as you would in a pistol, or is there a reason that the crossfit example doesn't go all the way down?)

Didn't really know where to start, so I picked level 4 based on which Day 3 I thought would be challenging at my current fitness level:

Week: 1
Level: 4
Day: 1
Results: 23 rounds
Notes:
I really underestimated the fatigue factor and completely failed to pace myself well. I came roaring out of the gate, feeling good, even a little cocky, with visions of 40+ rounds in my head. Minute 8 or so was a real eye-opener.

By the last round, I was noticing muscular fatigue in the pushups and pullups, but squats were a piece of cake (i attribute this to my recent kettlebell swinging).

But mainly, I was just sucking a lot of wind. I think I would have been able to squeeze in 3-4 more rounds if it weren't for the strange disappearance of air from the atmosphere. :)

All in all, it felt really good to get my body moving again (i haven't worked out in a few weeks), and I hope to stick to the plan for at least a few months.
rulfzid

W1L4D2

Postby rulfzid » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Day: 2
Results: total work time - 5:01
1: 1:04
2: 1:03
3: 0:57
4: 0:56
5: 1:01
Notes:
I was really trying to focus on form, but got caught up in the spirit of things and started rushing the pushups and squats.

Interestingly, this seemed to help my squat form - I felt a lot more flexible in my hips at the bottom.

So far (after 2 workouts), I'm really liking the SimpleFit program. After a couple of weeks, I plan to sprinkle in some other elements (turkish getups with a kettlebell, and a tabata day), but I really like how short and complete a workout you get.

More as I keep rolling...
rulfzid

Postby Ruli » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:05 am

welcome to SF rulfzid, great to have u on board!!!

judging by the nr of rounds u did on D1L4, you r definitely on the right lvl. keep it up!!!
Ruli

W1L4D3

Postby rulfzid » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:13 pm

Day: 3
Results: 6:17

Ow.

I'm a little disappointed. I thought I would get a little bit closer to 5:00 than that.

I knocked out the first 10 pullups clean and easy and took a short break. I could barely do 4 more, then it was doubles and singles time.

And the pullups seemed to really wear me out for the pushups, which I expected to be pretty strong. But by 30, I was done for again.

I suppose it will take my body a little time to adapt to this style of workout. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be this hard. I like it. :)

Next week, level 4. Next week I will make you mine.
rulfzid

W2L4D1

Postby rulfzid » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:20 pm

Week: 2
Day: 1
Results: 26 rounds

An increase of 3 rounds over last week. :) I paced myself much better this time.

My initial plan was to strive for 30 rounds by taking the rounds in 40 second increments. That lasted for 8 minutes, after which I dropped back to every 45 seconds, which I kept up for 6 minutes. The last 6 minutes, I was really gassed, and could only manage 1 round per minute.

Oy, I really should stop smoking. It really can't be helping these D1 workouts. :?

Just want to say again how much I like these workouts. It's only been a week, and I can already see some fairly significant changes in my body, which is pretty cool.

Add in some smart nutrition and a consistent sleep schedule, and I'll really be on my way.
rulfzid

W2L4D2

Postby rulfzid » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:51 pm

[quote="rulfzid"]Week: 2
Day: 2
Results: total work time - 6:54
1: 1:08
2: 1:15
3: 1:21
4: 1:18
5: 1:52
Notes:

My 2 main foci for this workout:
1. Shortening the rest to 2:00, because muscle endurance seems to be my biggest area of weakness
2. Being slow and tight during the workout, especially in the pushups and pullups.

On the last set, my pushups died a bit, and i had to go 6-3-3, which was a little bit disappointing, but I think it's largely because I shortened the rest times.
rulfzid

W2L4D3

Postby rulfzid » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Day: 3
Results: 5:25

52 seconds faster than last week. I'll take the improvement

This week, I split the pullups into 5-5-5-5, with very short breaks. The last set of 5, however, took almost as long as the first 3 combined. It's really interesting how the lack of rest changes things.

I also, in the interest of better pacing, split the pushups into 10-10-10-11. And the same thing happened: I just hit the wall in set #4 - 3-3-3-2. If I could have just punched out set #4, I would have finished under 5 minutes.

Squats were a breeze - 41 straight through.

I suppose I've got another week of Level 4 to look forward to. Wish me luck!
rulfzid

Return to workouts