Simplefit.org • View topic - Neilfensteins Log

Neilfensteins Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Postby Neilfenstein » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:16 pm

A couple more logs,

5/3/2010 L1 - D3
I managed to just about do a single dead hang pull up (chin to the bar not chest..... yet!)
I tried to do another which I failed. I then did 2 Chin ups after which i was tired and after a few moments recovery did the rest as 3 x negatives/rep.
My time was 8.09 mins but this was mainly because I really pushed to do the pull up and chin ups.

8/3/2010 L1 - D1
Today I just about did 2 pull ups but these really make me struggle. I then did 2 chin ups followed by 12 x 3 negatives, the last few I had to resort to Body Rows as I had over done a bit.
20 reps in total!!

Really good progress I thought!
Neilfenstein

Postby Ruli » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:40 pm

great stuff neil!
there's nothing better like feeling good after a workout - especially if you feel you've accomplished something.
keep it up!!!
Ruli

Postby Neilfenstein » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks again Ruli!

I hope that you are going well too!

Here is my result today:

3/3/2010 L1 - D2

1) 2 pull ups, 6 push ups and 10 squats
2) 1 pull ups + 3 x Negative pull ups, 6 push ups and 10 squats
3) 6 x Negative pull ups, 6 push ups and 10 squats
4) 6 x Negative pull ups, 6 push ups and 10 squats
5) 6 x Negative pull ups, 6 push ups and 10 squats

Completed in about 7 mins without rest time (about 3 minutes).

My elbow really hurt in the second set so switched to negatives.

I was thinking that I have been going at this as best I can for 10 weeks now, trying to do the hardest versions of the exercises I can. I think that as I am on level one I cant go down a level to rest every fourth week. I may try just body rows next week and use D1 as more of a cardio day etc. Just to give my elbows a rest from my full body weight. :D
On D1 I will focus on as many reps as posssible instead of aiming for one a minute like I have recently and see if I can beat my PB for reps from a month or so ago. Friday I will do it as normal and if previous times are an example probably manage under 5 minutes but will still not level up.

Again making the focus as just a less intense version before I injure myself irrepairably (sp)!

What do you guys think?
Neilfenstein

Postby Tryhoster » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:20 am

For D2 if the problem was tired muscles and not pain i would suggest resting a bit more during sets and trying to do the real pullups (if you can do 2 once you can do 2 again after some rest)

But the elbow pain really sucks :(
I have had problems with knee pain on squats after the forced rest week i had to take so i can understand.

For D1 i use a timer, i started timing 1 minute intervals like you
then went to 57 seconds
55 etc
doing the math to have every time one or two set more in the workout and it worked wonders.
Tryhoster

Postby Neilfenstein » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Thanks Try makes a massive difference knowing that I am on the right track.

I find it really hard to do the pull ups and they are by no means easy, great form pull ups they are basically struggled :cry: . I think that they are the reason my elbow hurts :oops: . I am still quite heavy, and the pain from doing the pull ups is still a bit naggy today. I didn't get this from negatives though.

I think that I will slip back to body rows for a week, next week and focus on speed on D1 & D3 and form on D2. Hopefully this will nip the elbow pain and then I will start back with negatives the week after and see how I can get on maybe throwing in pull ups on D2 like you suggest. I do normally have a 3 min rest between sets but I can give it longer if you think that is best.

:D

What do you suggest?
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:28 pm

12/3/2010 L1 - D3
I managed to do all the reps as 3 x negative pull ups and managed in 5.56mins.
Quite impressed actually!

15/3/2010 L1 - D1
Today I did pull ups as 3 x body rows. I managed 28 reps a personal best! I found that the body rows gave me a much more intense workout than I have had the last few D1s. I am tempted to stick to BRs on Monday as it is much more vigorous cardio workout and I do more push ups and squats this way. This also lowers the impact on my elbows and I think this may help by burning the fat quicker!

I am unsure what to do on D2 and D3 I think body rows may be to easy with just 10 reps on each workout but I doubt I'll be able to do proper pull ups or chin ups! I may just try to do as many as I can and switch to negatives. Any advice?

Thanks,

Neil.
Neilfenstein

Postby volleyball_man » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:23 pm

Don't do negatives exclusively - mix in the body rows as you are. Make them steeper (your body closer to parallel with the ground). Also, add in some jumping pullups if you can.
volleyball_man

Postby Neilfenstein » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:49 am

Can you explain jumping pull ups further?

I jump up so my chin starts over the bar and then lower slowly to hanging then place my feet on the floor and then repeat. I would like to know what the exact differences are.

Like I said in my last post I will most probably try and do body rows on D1 for the foreseeable future, I much preferred the workout last night. I set up a repeated 43 second alarm which got me to 28 reps in 20 mins.

I have also just ordered some rings which will allow me to do horizontal body rows if i want, currently I do them with a towel over the bar and my feet between 1 and 2 feet through the door. Which puts my body about 45degs when I lift and about 35 at lowered.

The body rows were not as tough as the negative pull ups last night but you get through a load more 84 to be precise which is much more of an endurance work out. I don't think I would be able to do that many at horizontal though.

I understand that I should mix them up but I read a post saying if you can do 1 pull up you can do all pull ups on D3 @ L1. That is only 10 but after the first 1 I really struggle. Should I may be do negatives on D2 and try to complete D3 as pull ups/chin ups?
Neilfenstein

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:15 am

With jumping pullups don't concentrate on slow negatives. Just jump to help you get up there.

Also try pallet bands to hang on the bar. Hook a foot or knee in and reduce the load you are pulling. (google them - they are cheap)
volleyball_man

Postby Neilfenstein » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:38 pm

17/3/2010 L1 - D2
Thanks VBM, after your suggestion I did today as pullups from standing this puts me about 2-3inches closer to the bar than dead hang and my arms are just slightly bent. From this position I did all the pull ups to chin above the bar and found it pretty easy. I did the whole lot excluding rest in just under 4 mins. These are much quicker than slow negatives. I am wondering should I be doing three of these for each pull up? Didn't do that, I guess they are still substitutes, whoops may go back and do some extras now!

May invest in a band though seen they are helpful!
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:20 pm

19/3/2010 L1 - D3
I did a mixture of slight jumping pull ups and standing pull ups, did 3 for each pull up required. Managed the lot in 4.56!

Really pleased but of course not moving on to the next level until I can do proper pull ups, soon hopefully :roll: !
Neilfenstein

Postby volleyball_man » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:12 pm

I had the same attitude about moving up - re: real pullups. Keep up what you are doing. You will get a real pullup or two soon.

Is weight an issue? I lost a 60 pound weighted fat vest :wink: and my numbers went up rather quickly.
volleyball_man

Postby Neilfenstein » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:36 am

Thanks VBM,

I think weight is an issue I have lost about 5 kg in the last month or so. I have trimmed up a bit my body shape has change greatly. I have noticed a difference since I have been more careful of my diet. I will post some poor quality photos on the site in a bit. I have just received my rings to so I will try and do horizontal Body Rows tomorrow and match my previous 28 reps I will have to see as I gave them a go and they are a bit harder than the versions I have been doing lol!

I am also going to try and add some cardio this week if work is not too hectic. I am going to start/try some running but I have had some bad luck with running last time I tried my ankles hurt, but I think the weight loss and increased fitness will help.
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:33 pm

Hay all!

22/3/2010 L1 - D1
Today I used my new rings, I set them up hanging from my pull up bar at about waist height so that I could start from lying on my back and then straighten my body and do the body rows. I did 3 for each pull up and set my timer to 42 secs about 28 reps in 20 minutes, I wanted to aim for what I managed last week even thought these should have been harder.

WOAH :shock: they were harder alright lol! I managed to get 25 done I had to skip a couple of the timer alarms as I was knackered. 25 is still a good start using the rings and I really like that the rings make this more cardio focussed D1 harder.

Bring on D2!! :D
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:14 pm

24/3/2010 L1 - D2
I managed 2 pull ups on round 1 and 2, 1 pullup and a pull up that was almost dead hang I had my toes on the floor to start without my arms locked. The next 2 rounds I did with 2 of these pseudo pull ups each set.

My total time was 4.56.

I was pleased I did some pull ups but they were not the best form I think I struggled quite a bit. Not sure if thes are benefitting me more than horizontal body rows.

I felt pretty rough from a cold :( , so not too bad. I will keep going, I seriously need to get out and do some running/riding but the weather here has been rainy and windy and I am worried about hurting my ankles I will try tomorrow. It's hard to get started when it may screw up my simplefit flow, even though if it goes well it should help loads!!

Oh well I will have to see!

:D
Neilfenstein

PreviousNext

Return to workouts