Simplefit.org • View topic - Neilfensteins Log

Neilfensteins Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Postby Neilfenstein » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:35 am

First things first, I managed to get a weather window and did the simplefit running plan and nearly died :shock: . I took a brisk walk of about 5 mins to get nearer a better place to run. I then started the 5 min walm up jog, which was fine and then hit the run section which wasn't too bad either but at the second jog section I could not get my breath back in the end I had to slow down to a fast walk. I managed to run for the next section and then had to fast walk the jog bit. I have a cold so think that contributed to lack of breath, but, I also think this is a bit too much for me at the moment. I was following the couch to 5k interval training routine a while back and may try and mix the two until my cold has gone and I build up my cardio level.

26/3/2010 L1 - D1
I managed:-
1 dead hang pull up
3 dead hang chin ups
rest jump pull ups

In 6.28 I gave myself some recovery time to try more dead hangs but failed so hence the extra time.

Finally, gonna go for a run tomorrow and rest Sunday ready for Monday!!
:D :D cardio has made me feel better in myself, Ive been putting it off for ages due to the weather here, but was good and didn't do too badly for my first run in months!!! :lol:
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:51 pm

Did week 3 D3 couch to 5k on Saturday, went well.

30/3/2010 L1 - D1
I did 27 reps today of horizontal body rows on my rings. 2 more than last week.
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:57 pm

1/4/2010 L1 - D2
I managed my first day of no substitues.
6 dead hang pull ups
4 dead hang chin ups

Very Happy!! :D :lol:
Neilfenstein

Postby lightthievesall » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:50 pm

I managed my first day of no substitues.

Awesome! I'm much looking forward to that day myself.
lightthievesall

Postby Neilfenstein » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks light!

I'm really glad, I thought my progress was slow but its definately progress you can't deny it! Don't get me wrong that last pull up was not text book or pretty but I got up there!!!

This week is week 13 for me (I guess only unluckyfor some ha ha!) and I have dropped about 5kg in weight and toned up! It's great, it is spurring me to do more too! I have started sporradic cardio (I'm definately a fair weather runner lol!).

I am thinking about getting a kettlebell to start doing some light work on my off days when the weather is too bad to run or ride. And I have also been looking at some other indoor cardio routines to help out with the bad UK weather!

I really believe I can get to a better body with this regime!

Keep going man, you can get there! Good luck!! :wink:
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:17 am

3/4/2010 L1 - D3
I managed to all of the pull ups as full dead hang pull ups! woo hoo cranking it up now! :D

I also managed the full work out in 5.43!

I reckon I will be rocking the level 2 soon! :shock:

I find it really difficult to do the pull ups more than one or two in a row though I find my grip slips and I struggle to get the lift straight away. I guess this is where the speed will come once I can do them straight after one another.

I got myself a 20Lb kettle-bell too which I had a go on the day before my D3 which I must admit hit me a lot harder than I thought it would!

I did 3 sets of each of these exercise sets:-
2 handed swings x12
windmills x8 each side (these really worked my sides)
squat halos x12 (really worked my shoulders and backs thighs)

I found a few beginner work out videos on youtube by mbody strength.
I also had a couple of reps of cleans & presses and snatches.

I am not sure when I will be able to do these as they really work you hard. I am not sure if I will put them in on my rest days any more. I may add a few different exercise to the end of my simplefit workouts so as to keep my rest days for rest or cardio.

Any advice with regards to best kettle-bell workouts or how to fit them in to the simplefit routine guys?

Thanks again all!! :wink:
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:31 pm

5/4/2010 L1 - D1
Managed 28 reps doing 3 x Horizontal Body rows on my rings for each pull up. I set up a timer for 41s repeat alarms. I tried for 29 but had to skip one set so I could recover.

I also did tabata 2 handed kettlebell swings 8 x 20s reps with 10s rest time. With 12 x halos with the kettlebell, I was going to do more but my back and shoulders were shot after the stuff before.

Not bad going though 1 more than last week! :D
Last edited by Neilfenstein on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:56 am

7/4/2010 L1 - D2

Un-timed but about 2-3mins rest between each set.

I did all the pull ups as dead hang pull ups! This is a massive acheivement and shows great promise for a level increase soon!! I cant beleive the progress, in 14 weeks I have gone from strugling with really light body rows to full dead hang pull ups! :D

I am away this weekend in Hamburg for a stag party so will miss my D3 workout tomorrow!

I will do some tabata and normal kettlebell excercises tonight to give me a final boost of fitness before a heavy drinking weekend (naughty but necessary!).

Next week I am hoping to level up! :wink:
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:07 am

I survived the stag party, Hamburg was amazing!

But, my cold is now much worse after all the drinking!

12/4/2010 L1 - D1

However, I managed 29 sets with the pull ups substituted for 3 x horizontal body rows today which was tough but again a PR for me. I didn't think I would manage many so stuck with substitutes and in the end beat my personal best.

:D
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:49 pm

14/4/2010 L1 - D2
I completed today's workout doing all pull ups as full dead hang!

Time: 3.46 excluding rest time approx. 3mins each set!!

Very pleased! On track for a good bash at levelling up on Friday!

I'll keep you informed as always!!! :D
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:39 am

16/4/2010 L1 - D3
I Levelled up! :D :D :D

I managed the lot using DH PU's in 4.21!

Not a great time, I didn't kill it, I was unsure about how much time I had left so resting in between pull ups was short which made them a struggle!

I am really pleased that I have levelled up but at the same daunted by the difficulty of fitting the new amount of exercises in, in under 5 minutes!!

I am on my way up the level ladder now though!!

:D
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:35 pm

19/4/2010 L2 - D1 (week 16)
I started at level 2 tonight!

I have been doing D1 using rings and performing horizontal body rows to increase my reps to get more squats and push ups done to improve my fitness. Since my last L1 D3 the push ups were a bit of a struggle, this proved I need to up my pull up game, so, I started my level 2 workouts doing as many pull ups as I could.

As this was the first day at level 2 I aimed for 20 reps.

I managed 14 DH PU's and switched to horizontal body rows (3 for each pull up) to get to 20 reps in total.

I am very pleased with this as it totals more push ups than I managed on my L1 PB (29reps) and also the most pull ups I have ever done. It is a stake in the ground to beat next time. D2 is going to be tough with 15 pull ups needed. Hopefully the extra rest will help.

I love the fact that every step of the way I can see progress, in 15 weeks I have gone from no pull ups to 14 in 20 mins. Amazing!! When I switched to body rows I could have carried on for a good while, a massive improvement!! :D
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:47 pm

Firstly is it just me or is the site playing up?

Any way!

21/04/2010 L2 - D2
Untimed approx. 3mins between rounds
Completed all pull ups as dead hang new pull up PR (15 total in one session)! :D

23/04/2010 L2 - D3
Completed in 5.08.9

All dead hang pull ups (not the best form by the end, but still, it's my first L2 - D3!

I then did 2 handed kettlebell swings (Tabata 8 sets 20sec exercise, 10sec rest) and 3x10 sets each side kettlebell presses. I was really pumped after the simplefit workout time so pushed on and did the kettlebell stuff! Feel good after!
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:46 pm

26/04/2010 L2 - D1

Did 20 reps in 20 minutes all dead hang, again new Personal Record 20 pull ups in a session.

:D :D
Neilfenstein

Postby Neilfenstein » Wed May 19, 2010 1:43 pm

28/04/2010 L2 - D2 Week 17

All dead hang pull-ups complete 5.21 approx. 3 mins rest between sets.

30/04/2010 L2 - D3

Could only manage 7 pull-ups and rest chinups - 5.26

04/05/2010 L2 - D1 Week 18

20 sets in 20 minutes all dead hang pull-ups
I did a kettle bell work out after a short rest as I went to Cyprus for a wedding.

L2 - D2 NOT DONE
L2 - D3 NOT DONE

11/05/2010 L2 - D1 Week 19

20 rounds 20 minutes all dead hang pull-ups

13/05/2010 L2 - D2

First 3 sets were dead hang pull-ups rest chin-ups

15/05/2010 L2 - D3

3 dead hang pull-ups, 2 chin-ups and the rest horizontal body rows using rings.

I really struggled this week with the pull-ups I did quite a bit of swimming in the pool at our villa which used different muscles and meant I ached doing simplefit, also amplified by a week off the workouts.

17/05/2010 L2 - D1 Week 20

Due to the difficulty I had with the pull-ups last week I decided to switch to all horizontal body rows to have a less impact day, I aimed for 30 reps however I only managed 28 reps.

19/05/2010 L2 - D2

Did all of the sets as dead hang pull-ups 5.15.

I have definately noticed a slump in my performance. I have been really busy at work and quite tired and have had to really force myself to do the workouts. I guess I am just having a down period. I need to get out and do some cardio of some sort, to up my overall fitness. I enjoyed the swimming in the villa but its not possible to fit swimming in to my schedule I will make a concerted effort to try and get a run or a ride in on my non simplefit days.

I keep telling my self that even though my performance is not progressing as fast as before it is still having a positive effect i.e. better than sat on the sofa lol!!
Neilfenstein

PreviousNext

Return to workouts