Simplefit.org • View topic - tmech's log

tmech's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Re: tmech's log

Postby tmech » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:56 pm

Week 11:

L3D1 - 16 rounds, negatives for pulls after round 9. Hard. Did these the day after "bored at lunch" workout, so expected to be fail.
L3D2 - 3 rounds in .. was well and truly over it, and of course, rushed the 4th set of pull-ups and strained my neck.
L3D3 -

Have been slack/busy this week .. done nothing so far!

Today (Wednesday) I went to the park at lunchtime, couldn't find any overhead bars to use, so just did pushups and squats .. 20/40, 10/20, 5/10, 2/5, 0/2. And have concerts and Christmas parties for the rest of the week .. so maybe this week is a rest week! Shocking.

So sunday wrap-up: poor week of fail, including injuring my neck.
tmech

Postby tmech » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Week 12:

L1D1 - 31 rounds, no subs.
L1D2 - 6:15, including rests (didn't have a timer on me! had to go off a clock). Was very surprised it was only 6 mins, felt like I was "resting" ages between sets.
L1D3 - skip, out of days for this week!
tmech

Postby msnau » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:19 am

Hi tmech
I was reading your log with interest as I think we're on similar levels.

I just finished my second week of doing SF. I did level 2 this week:
L2D1 = 26 rounds
L2D2 = 7min
L2D3 = 5min 11sec

As I didnt make the 5min for D3 I'll my re-doing L2 next week.

My weakness is Pull-ups. I do full pullup's on D1, and mostly on D2, but on D3 I find myself kipping/swinging/jumping up to the bar etc. Not entirely sure whether we're supposed to kip? (or how we should improve our pullup form?)

My squats are probably my strong point. My only concern is the 'clicking' sound in my knees. I'm doing the crossfit Air-squats and I 'think' my technique is ok??

Anyways, good luck with progressing on SF.
msnau

Postby tmech » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:22 pm

msnau wrote:Hi tmech
I was reading your log with interest as I think we're on similar levels.

I just finished my second week of doing SF. I did level 2 this week:
L2D1 = 26 rounds
L2D2 = 7min
L2D3 = 5min 11sec

Oh I am a bad host! I didn't log into the forums for a week!

Yep! I am sure I am close to that at the moment. I've been slack and only did L3D1 last week. This week I am just doing D3's (working up from L1) to give myself a nice "yes, you have improved" payoff before Christmas ruins everything.

Those times/rounds are very close to mine!

As I didnt make the 5min for D3 I'll my re-doing L2 next week.

For L1 and L2 I progressed with subs for D3 .. but I think L3 (with the two pull ups) is just so hard without subs that it puts me off wanting to do it. Hence finding my "real" level this week. I think I might just be able to pass L2 later this week when muscles have repaired a bit. That'll legitimately put me on L3, rather than the cheating I've done so far.. :)

Last night I knocked off L1D3 in 2:30, which was FAR more fun than L3D1 which has left me a bit injured each time I've done it (poor pullup form from rushing).

My weakness is Pull-ups. I do full pullup's on D1, and mostly on D2, but on D3 I find myself kipping/swinging/jumping up to the bar etc. Not entirely sure whether we're supposed to kip? (or how we should improve our pullup form?)

Yep, same - pullups are my limiter (I think this is true for most people?). Kipping appears to be fine, I go by something I read a while back .. "if your head drops below the bar and your chin goes over it again, count it". For now, I'm happy to take that -- I figure at this level of strength anything helps.

I did a fair bit of googling a few weeks ago for pullup form, looks like most people doing high reps will do Kipping .. doing dead-hang pullups I've seen videos of people way more built than I'll ever be topping out at about 20 straight.

My squats are probably my strong point. My only concern is the 'clicking' sound in my knees. I'm doing the crossfit Air-squats and I 'think' my technique is ok??

Same - squats are no problem. Do you do much leg work as part of your normal day /other sport?

The clicking is not great -- my knees used to click, and it was caused by shortened upper leg muscles (which I put down to too much bike riding / no stretching). To fix the clicking I had a few sessions with a great osteopath who loosened things out, and gave me a bunch of stretches (nothing you can't find on the internet!), and advised a little run every now and then followed by some stretching. I still get clicking if I haven't been for a run and a stretch for a few weeks.

There's this funky ITB stretch I can find details on for you if you're interested.

Anyways, good luck with progressing on SF.

You too! Do you have a workout log? I have found entering my numbers into the forums to be a pretty good motivator.

Good luck with SF!
tmech

Postby tmech » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:00 pm

Week 13:

L3D1 - 20 sets, subs for a fair few. Still wound up feeling like I pulled something in my neck (right side this time!).
L3D2 - untimed

Ran out of week.

Have been dreading each workout on L3 .. and injuring myself on D1 every time. Gotta figure out a plan for that.
tmech

Postby tmech » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Week 14:

I decided with the injuries and dreading of the workouts that I'd do something different this week ... and never actually passed L1 without subs so decided to go back through D3's and see what happens.

L1D3 - 2:30

Well that was much faster than expected!

L2D3 - 3:24

I thought I might be about there, given L1. I've come a long way!

Now to take a good few days off strength stuff an attempt L3D3 sometime over the break. Looking forward to seeing if I can squeeze it into five minutes!
tmech

Postby Neilfenstein » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:53 am

Hey tmech,

My knees click and so do my ankles I wasn't sure why, maybe for the same reason. I would really be interested in the exercises/stretches if you have the time to link me to them.

Many Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Neilfenstein

Postby tmech » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Over christmas / new years ...

L3D3 - 4:54 (but chins were a bit iffy so didn't congratulate myself too much)

L3D3 - 5:23 (chins were stricter)

And threw in a 7km run, a few 200m sprints and a 70km ride while I was at it. Am horribly out of aerobic shape so all of those killed me. Still suffering.

Week 16:

L3D1 - 21 rounds, stupid tendony ouch in my left arm (bicep?) meant I switched to subs from 11 onward. Was keeping slow and steady pace before that to try and stop the run of "D1 = injury" ... and it helped but not that much. All subs on D1 for a few weeks to come I think.

L3D2 - didn't do

L3D3 - didn't do
Last edited by tmech on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tmech

Postby tmech » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Neilfenstein wrote:Hey tmech,

My knees click and so do my ankles I wasn't sure why, maybe for the same reason. I would really be interested in the exercises/stretches if you have the time to link me to them.

Many Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Heya!

Hope the late info is not too late for you .. will look up the full range of stretches I do this week and post them up for you. My knee is clicking badly after my long ride the other day, so I'll be able to report back on what helps me :)

Happy new year!
tmech

Postby tmech » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Week 17:

We are half way through and I've done nothing! Terrible weather is my terrible excuse. Really not good enough.
--
Hey the weather let up so I went out for some SF!

L3D2 - 4:25.

And then went for a bit of a sprint .. found some 250m markers near my house so have been doing sets of sprints 6 of those. Well, trying to, did a full 250m on the first and from there I'm ruined. It's great, and that was my third time out so I'm looking forward to seeing improvements in distance and speed.
tmech

Postby tmech » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:46 am

tmech wrote:Wed Jan 12, 2011.

WOW! I am slack!

Week 18:

Sunday - L3D2, 5:18 ( was hard, was very out of breathe by the end, could probably have dropped back a level given my breaks and slackness )
tmech

Postby tmech » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:26 pm

Week 19:
Tuesday, L3D1 - all subs for pullups due to soreness from the previous week (weird tendon feeling not really getting better!). 25 rounds.
Thursday, L3D2 - did two rounds around a minute a round .. but ditched the rest due to forgotten meeting.

After Tuesday was VERY sore ... wed/thurs/fri .. Saturday was the first day that I wasn't aching constantly. Unsure if that's DOMs from lack of consistency or extra stress from different muscle groups from all-subs .. but was interesting.
Last edited by tmech on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
tmech

Postby tmech » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:16 am

Week 20:
Monday, L3D1 - all subs for pulls, 27 rounds. A lot more consistent, easier, and mixed up pushup types as well (elbows out / in).
Thursday, L3D2 - 4:15 .. all subs for pulls. Tried 1 pull-up and one chin-up but elbow pain started .. so swapped to subs.
Sunday, L3D3 - untimed, fast though. forgot to take a watch!

Progress marker: not as sore this week. more rounds. no neck injury - sore but not strained. Hopefully it is building strength so I can resume full pullups without injuries in the future.
tmech

Postby tmech » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Week 21:

Tuesday, L3D1 - 30 rounds. Easy to keep at it, muscles not overloaded until over half way.
Thursday, L3D3 - 4:30

Decided to skip D2 because I keep running out of week. And yeah, ready for Level 4 now.
tmech

Postby tmech » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:05 pm

Week 22:

Skipping! Rest week! Maybe a little L1D1 on the weekend.
tmech

PreviousNext

Return to workouts