• View topic - reon's log

reon's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

reon's log

Postby reon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:11 am

Well I've only recently started trying to get healthy. I'm a 25yr old guy and hadn't done a bit of exercise since high school. 5'11" - 180lb, managed to grow myself a respectable beer gut.

I started running with the Couch to 5K program and am almost done with that, which has helped my cardio amazingly, but I'm weak as piss.

So here's hoping this program can help and I can stick with it, it sounds great. I'm planning on doing it on my off days from running, so M, W, F - running and T, Th, Sat - SF.

L1 D1 - 15 rounds, stopped at about 12 minutes
I had to do modified (girly) pushups, and did the best negatives for pullups that I could muster, subbing 3 for each real pull up.

Re: reon's log

Postby cheapo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Good start.

I suggest that on Day 1, you keep going for the full 20 minutes, even if you're only doing round every 2 or 3 minutes in the final stretch.

Consider taking photos (even if you don't post them). They're a good means of gauging your progress and a strong motivator. (Posting them, makes them an even stronger motivator!)

Postby reon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:42 am

Thanks cheapo. I'm sure I'll have plenty more L1 D1's to get it right. I'll try to pace myself better next time.

Good idea with the photos. I don't think I'm game enough to post them, but it'll be good for my own motivation.

L1 D2
Modified pushups + pullups - today rather than jumping up and doing a negative I more used my legs to take some weight off.

I had a fair bit of muscle soreness yesterday and today - I love that feeling. But despite that still went for my run and pushed through to run further than I have before.

Postby MonkeyBoy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:08 am

Welcome reon,
I think we are about the same level. Some guys have started here in pretty good shape and others have come in at the bottom like us and have made amazing progress. Check out volleyball man's log for one example.
The couch to 5k program seems pretty good and I will be starting that (or at least some running) pretty soon.
Welcome again and keep with it.

Postby reon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:15 am

Thanks MonkeyBoy, good to see someone else starting with not much.

D3 - 4:20 but I did the 30 pullup subs so poorly I don't think that time counts for much. I think I should try body rows to get more of a full range of the motion of a pullup.

Skipped some running this week because it's been so damn hot where I live. I'm aiming to get in 4km tonight once it cools down a bit.

Postby reon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Well I took a week off just about everything due to a cold. Weak I know, but I'm glad to report I got back into it. Ran yesterday and did D1 again today.

D1 - 29 rounds - big improvement, but still subbing pull-ups and pushups. I can actually do a proper chin-up, but not a pull-up.. So I mix a few chin-ups in there. Does doing chin-ups help to improve pull-ups?
I made myself go the whole 20 minutes, honestly I probably could've done this many last time if I'd pushed myself enough.

D2 - 5:42 - arms are hurting already only 5 minutes after completion, uh oh. Was really focusing on doing better form negatives.

D3 - 4:17 - again modified push and pull ups, so it doesn't count.

Week 3

Postby reon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:44 pm

L1 D1 - 20 rounds - that sounds like a step backwards, but this time was proper pushups (for the first 10 rounds anyway), and my negatives were much better. It feels like my hardest workout so far.
Note to self though, don't have a 5pm beer on a workout day before the workout. Burping that up wasn't pleasant.

L1 D2 - 7:03 - this was a few days late, put off because of DOMS, but not sure if I would've been better working through it. Good negatives until the last few, and proper pushups too. Looking forward to 6 pushups not being enough to beat me.

L1 D2 - 7:13 - I felt really weak tonight trying this. Last time I at least felt like I had some strength at the start but this was bad from the get go. Ah well, got to stick with it.

Week 4

Postby reon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:36 am

Skipped a week again. No excuse, I just suck at sticking to a routine. I've been keeping up my running at least, and bought a road bike with the plan to commute to work. So the fitness is still going, I think I might be trying to do a bit much of everything though.

L1 D1 - 21 rounds - This was a struggle, I was ready to quit after 16 but wanted to beat last D1's, so stuck with it.

L1 D2 - 5:17 - on time for once, and felt great. No more girly pushups, and the negatives were good quality right to the end. I actually feel like a proper pull-up isn't impossible.

My legs were wrecked after D1 though, which didn't help my run yesterday, but that's more of what I said above. I'm trying to do too many things I think, so not doing any of them particularly well. I don't know if I should cut back or just slog through and hope for improvements, just more slowly.

Return to workouts