Simplefit.org • View topic - cattailss' log

cattailss' log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

cattailss' log

Postby cattaillss » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:05 am

i was planning on lurking, but figured this would help keep me accountable. :)

i was also hoping for advice. today i started at level 1 and did 15 rounds, but only went for 13 minutes. from what i have read, it is better to take the whole 20 minutes, yes? my pull ups were negatives. i jumped up and s-l-o-w-l-y lowered myself down. i have truly pathetic upper body strength! i am 5'4, weigh in at around 126lbs. i'm the girl everyone thinks is fit because i look thin, but i'm trying to build up my upper body and core strength, in the hopes it will reflect (positively) on my play on the soccer pitch. do i keep doing level 1 until i can complete everything? if so, it might be a loooong time before i am able to do a proper pull up, never mind 10 in a row. can someone shine a light a the end of a very long tunnel, please...?? :)
cattaillss

Re: cattailss' log

Postby Bri3626 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:34 am

Hello Cat and welcome,

This is a beginning point for a lot of folks. As you may have noticed simplefit is a progressive type of program where you move up when you meet certain requirements. In your case it would be completing level one day 3 in under five minutes. I would approach it with that same kind of thought process except in your case you need to find something that will help you progress to real pullups. You can search through the site here or google subbing pullups but basically there are just a few recommendations. You can try jumping pullups, body rows, the negatives you did earlier, or even assisted pullups like a machine if you have access. Do the program and try to get to level 7 testing yourself each week just as if you were doing regular pullups. I find that body rows are a huge help in progressing to regular pullups but thats just me. Basically you have a bar somewhere around hip level, lay on your back under the bar and reach up grasping the bar, then just pull your chest to the bar. Keep your heels on the ground and try not to use legs to assist you up if possible.
Good luck! and welcome again.
Bri3626

Postby cattaillss » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:26 am

thanks for the encouragement, bri3626. :) finished day 2 today, after walking around with super sore arms!! reverse pull-ups, and the last two rounds were with one hand in a chin-up position. :( the total was 5:21 with about 1 minute of rest between rounds. form almost broke on the push ups at the end. what is the deal if i absolutely cannot do 1 more pull up or proper form push up?? may i do push ups on my knees...?? squats is where i make up time. my legs are in pretty good shape, so i pay strict attention to form while doing squats. looking ahead to day 3 - could be rough going with 21 push ups in a row. having said that, my arms might actually feel better than they have in the last 24 hours. i'll let you know when i have the feeling back. ;) :) this is a great way to keep myself accountable. i'll have to take a look at how people list their times/accomplishments without writing a novel.

:)
cattaillss

Postby Bri3626 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:00 am

You can do any method that helps you to get the job done. One rule is to make sure you log it that way so next time you try to beat that score. Say you do level one day one and get 20 rounds with 10 rounds as knee pushups. Just record it like that.
Next time you do level 1 day 1 try to at least get 11 rounds as it is prescribed or try to do more than 20 rounds. Slow but sure is the key and you are doing the right thing by trying to maintain form. The ultimate goal is to work towards doing everything as Rx'd. Good luck!
Bri3626

Postby cattaillss » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:11 am

Day 3. please kill me now. i could only do 8 sorta-kinda-not-really pull ups. i'll have to rig something up for body rows. :(

21 push ups. 10 real ones, and the rest on my knees.

21 squats.

took 4 minutes 2 seconds. i would have waited to recover and try to get the rest of the reverse pull ups, but *everyone* (1 husband and 6 kids and the girlfriend of my oldest) was home, taking turns laughing and cheering and encouraging and mocking. :) now they are merrily hanging on the pull up bar, seemingly doing chin ups and pull ups with ease. none of them can take the time to put me out of my misery. bastids. ;) :) ah well. back level 1 day 1 in 48 short hours...hopefully sans audience. :)

...will i ever do a real, genuine pull up...?? *sigh*

cat
cattaillss

Postby Jonathan22 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:10 pm

Yes, you will do a real pullup. And then you can say to your family "who's laughing now?".
Jonathan22
Advanced Member

Postby cattaillss » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:17 am

'boulevard of broken dreams'. how appropriate.

week 2: 15 rounds in 15 minutes. i know. supposed to be 20. it seems so interminable, 20 minutes. i spent the last five minutes dragging myself around, sipping water, hanging off the bar, pulling myself up the 1/2 mm (or is it 1/4)i can actually do.

on the upside, i rigged homemade 1/2 rings to do the 'easier' body rows (3 = 1 pull up, right??). i'd like to know to whom the definition of 'easier' applies. pas moi. i did about 3 (x 3) subs with body rows, and then went back to the negative pull ups, until it dawned on me i probably have to do 3 negative pull ups to equal 1 pull up. what was i thinking, starting this madness...*sigh* hmmm...'beautiful' by moby for the second time. maybe my laptop (or itunes) is pulling for me. d'you suppose that counts for anything...?

well, there's always day 2 on wednesday. and y'all are here, expecting me to push on.

cat
cattaillss

Postby cattaillss » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:27 am

week 2, level 1 day 2!!

9:59. subbed 3 negatives for each pull up, although the last two rounds i came down pretty fast.

good news is i can feel myself getting stronger. very slowly. but i can almost pull myself up 1/4 of the way to a real, honest-to-goodness pull up.

6 push ups sure doesn't sound like much, does it, 'cept after negative pull ups. :)

onward and upward!!

cat
cattaillss

Postby cattaillss » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:27 am

week 2 day 3.

10 assisted pull ups. this week coming up i am going to work really hard at pull ups/subs/whatever. i am determined to do a pull up.

21 push ups, 10 for real, 11 girl push ups. this week my goal will be 12 real push ups on week 3, day 3.

21 squats. i may try 1 legged squats. not pistols, yet. the arm of my couch is the perfect height for me to rest a foot on it, with the other one hanging down, and i will work on standing up with one leg.

time was just under 4 minutes. i would have been there all night if i actually did all my pull up subs. :) (oh, and my daughter, who was holding my legs, kept making laugh!! wench. :))

cat
cattaillss

Postby saling4 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:54 pm

If I may suggest: Stand on a chair and use a leg to help with your pull up. Use that leg ONLY as much as you need.
saling4
Advanced Member

Postby cattaillss » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:53 am

thanks, sailing4. i may try that.

week 3, day 1, level 1. i forced myself to go the whole 20 minutes, although the last minute was holding a plank. did 3 negatives for every pull up, and after 3 rounds started doing 3 x 1 legged squats for each leg. so, 11 rounds in 19 minutes with a 1 minute plank. TWENTY MINUTES!! yeah yeah. y'all warm up in 20 minutes, and then start a *real* workout, but i'll get there, eventually. had that familiar, rubbery feeling in my arms again. man, it feels good!! :)

cat
cattaillss

Postby cattaillss » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:11 am

week 3, level 1 day 2. time was 11:02 minutes with approximately 1 minute of rest between rounds.

negative pull ups (3 for 1 pull up) again, but managed them all!!

all push ups were regular, although the in the last 2 rounds i had to hold the up push up position at 5 and breathe for 3-5 seconds before attempting 6.

squats were 5 on one leg, and 5 on the other for each set of 10. gonna work on holding the free leg in a pistol position.

trying to wrap my head around actually pulling myself up. may wait a few weeks, and put a pull up bar outside so i can jump/pull/wriggle my way up. the day i do a real, honest pull up, party at my house.

cat
cattaillss

Postby cattaillss » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:25 am

...did i mention y'all are invited to my 'did a pull up!!' party?? :)
cattaillss

Return to workouts