Simplefit.org • View topic - samtihen's Log

samtihen's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

samtihen's Log

Postby samtihen » Thu May 26, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi all!

This is my first post, so I'll quickly introduce myself. I'm 28, male, 6'5" and 155lbs. Yes, I'm very underweight - I'm slowly working on it.

My primary goal is to increase my overall strength and endurance so that I can better participate in athletic activities I enjoy. My secondary goal is to put on muscle weight to improve my appearance. I'm now eating a high calorie, high carbohydrate, high fat, high protein diet. While I understand that "lifting heavy things" is probably more appropriate for gaining weight, my current life situation makes that unrealistic for me. As such, I decided on Simplefit.

I'm on my third week of Simplefit now.

I started on Level 1, and was able to pass with relative ease. I found the first day to be extremely satisfying, and was able to knock out 30 rounds. Day 3 was completed in just under 5 minutes - I probably could have gone faster. My weak point, unlike most people here, is push-ups. I have no chest, so I suppose that shouldn't be surprising.

The next week, I moved up to Level 2. This week was a bit tougher. The increase to 3 push-ups per round on Day 1 limited me to 20 rounds. Still, on Day 3, I clocked in again at just under 5 minutes. This time, I probably wouldn't have been able to go much faster.

I'm now on my 3rd week, and I moved up to Level 3. Day 1 felt more balanced for me again, because of the increase in pull-ups but the same amount of push-ups. I was able to complete 21 rounds. Today was Day 2, and I completed it in 5:40 with each set completed in one shot. I felt pretty good, especially on my push-ups, and did not approach muscle failure at any point. I do feel stronger.

I hope that I will be able to complete Day 3 in just under 5 minutes, but it will be close.

My goal within Simplefit is to complete Level 5 with good form by the end of the year.

-----

Starting Condition - May 28, 2011 (Week 4)

Full Album: http://samtihen.imgur.com/fitness_training_week_1

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Current Condition - June 18, 2011 (Week 6)

Full Album: http://samtihen.imgur.com/fitness_training_progress__june_18_2011

Last edited by samtihen on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
samtihen

Re: samtihen's Log

Postby samtihen » Sat May 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Level 3 Day 3:

I was pretty tired and hadn't slept well before today. I clocked in at 6:30. I expected better, but pull-ups stalled at 7 and push-ups at 18.

I also found the 33 squats in a row to be more challenging than I expected.

Looks like at another week or three at Level 3.
samtihen

Postby cheapo » Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Welcome aboard!

samtihen wrote:I'm now eating a high calorie, high carbohydrate, high fat, high protein diet.

That kind of thing is well suited to making big gains, a la Mark Rippetoe and Starting Strength. I don't know how appropriate it is to SimpleFit.
cheapo

Postby samtihen » Tue May 31, 2011 8:39 am

Thanks, Matthew! When I first looked into Simplefit, I did notice your impressive progress and was quite inspired. Well done!

As for my diet, I'm not 100% sure about it. The reality is that I'm extremely underweight and keeping up a high calorie diet is very difficult for me. I don't think there is much chance of me getting fat at any level of consumption I can handle, and the general consensus from other input I've received has been along the lines of "food -> mouth - NOW!" I'll continually evaluate my condition and progress and make changes as needed.

Now, on to my log for today, L3D1 (second attempt): 22 cycles

I'm going to try to take weekly photos as well. This is my first set: http://imgur.com/a/zetT3

Last edited by samtihen on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samtihen

Postby samtihen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:26 am

L3D2: 5:30

I don't expect to pass Day 3.
samtihen

Postby cheapo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:10 am

samtihen wrote:I'm going to try to take weekly photos as well. This is my first set: http://imgur.com/a/zetT3[/b]

Those are some awesome photos! They are good quality—much better than mine—it will be easy to see even subtle changes in your appearance with such excellent documentation. Not only that, they're just plain good photos in their own right. You should post them right in the thread!
cheapo

Postby samtihen » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:02 pm

Thanks Matthew! I think photos will help me gauge my progress in a way the level structure can't, and I'm hoping they make me a bit more accountable as well.

D3D3:

6:05, an improvement of 25 seconds over last week. This time, pull-ups stalled at 6 (down from 7), and push-ups at 16 (down from 18). The cause of this, I suspect, is that I took better care to ensure I didn't actually hit muscle failure.

Next week, I'm going to take an easy week and do Level 1.

I think it might take me a few more weeks, at least, to beat Level 3.

My main issue right now, as I suspected, is keeping my calorie count high. I'm already slipping - constantly eating just isn't in my nature and if I don't force myself I probably come in at under 2000 calories.
samtihen

Postby samtihen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Well, this is the start of my easy week: Week 5.

Level 1 Day 1: 45 cycles

That is an improvement of 50% (+15 cycles) from 1 month ago. Feels good!

I also recruited a new Simplefit workout partner; he enjoyed his first day and came in at around 25 cycles, limited by pull-ups like most.

Full Album: http://samtihen.imgur.com/fitness_training_progress__june_7_2011

samtihen

Postby samtihen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Level 1 Day 2 (Week 5):

I didn't time myself today, and instead took the opportunity to have my new partner critique my form. My squats in previous workouts have not been deep enough, and my back had not be straight enough - with better form they work my core and legs more substantially. My pull-ups have been in good form, but I made a conscious effort to go a little bit deeper. My push-ups have also been done with fairly good form, but I brought my hands in a bit which seemed to have ended up working slightly different muscles. I have a habit of holding my breath on push-ups, and my partner noticed this and helped me breath properly.

That said, all sets were done to completion in a single effort.
samtihen

Postby samtihen » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:47 pm

Level 1 Day 3 (Week 5): Not timed, but well under 5 minutes.

I'm not eating enough, have failed to count my calories. I know I won't see progress without doing so, but I find it extremely difficult to eat as much as I need to.
samtihen

Postby samtihen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:24 am

Level 3 Day 1 (Week 6): 20 cycles.

That's down 2 from Week 4. I had an overall low energy level, and while that could be the result of a few things, I'm going to continue to pin it on low overall food intake.

I've had similar things happen before when trying to get fit, but I don't think I recognized then that I really just don't eat enough and just blamed it on my body. The reality is, I'm sure I'm running at a serious calorie deficit.

I WILL eat 3000 calories today, starting right now.
samtihen

Postby samtihen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Level 3 Day 2: Roughly 6 minutes.

I took 3 minute breaks between all sets, and, aside from the last push-up of the last set, came nowhere near muscle failure.
samtihen

Postby samtihen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:22 am

Level 3 Day 3: 5:45 seconds - an improvement of 20 seconds from 2 weeks ago.

Pull-ups stalled at 10, an improvement from my previous Day 3 max of 7. Push-ups stalled at 16, same as last time.

Full Album: http://samtihen.imgur.com/fitness_training_progress__june_18_2011

samtihen

Postby cheapo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:19 am

cheapo

Postby samtihen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:42 pm

L3D1: 22 rounds. I'm not entirely sure how long this took me; I was at the beach and noticed a good place to do pull-ups and just took the opportunity.
samtihen

Next

Return to workouts