Postby Benhamine » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:37 pm

First Starting Stats:
6'1"
196lbs
23yo M

Log thus far:
L1D1: 6 rounds with supplemented pull-ups
L1D2: 9min 30 sec with supplemented pull-ups

Well this has made me realize that my upper body is in horrible shape. After Day 1 I've been sore since. I was sore enough I questioned working out today with Day 2 but I'm incredibly glad I did. It was rough doing the supplemented pull-ups (sad to say I can't even do 1 regular pull-up but that's on my list of short-term goals) as that's where most of my soreness was. I'm glad I powered through it and was able to finish the day though. Made me realize that I can work through the pain. I've been running for about 20 minutes every day for the past few weeks and I'm about to go cool-down with a jog. I will be back Friday with my D3 stats. I was just so happy that I finished D2 I felt like starting my log early (was going to wait until first full week was complete).

--Benhamine out
Benhamine

Re: Benhamine's Log

Postby KTG » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:01 am

Many of us have started with struggles on the pull-ups. Doing supplemented, or negatives, or body rows, or doing a bit of a jump on the first one are common substitutions. The nice thing about this program is that you just have to build up to doing 2 to get into the full program, and then you are on your way.

For me (and I think many others) pull-ups are always the limiting factor for moving up levels. On the other hand, I think one of the most satisfying (and hence motivating) things about Simplefit is seeing the pull-up numbers slowly moving up. Two or three years ago, I would never have thought I could get to the point where I could do a 20 minute workout that would include 60 pull-ups.
KTG

Postby Benhamine » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:13 am

Thanks for the support! Yea, the pull-ups have always been the bane of my exercise existence throughout my life. I could count on my hand how many times throughout my youth even I could do them. Like I said, right now my short term goal is to just do 1. I know the day I pull that off I'll feel like I can conquer the world sadly lol. Anyways, the run yesterday after the workout sucked a little but I powered through it. I'm finding I just get tired before my legs start to get sore. Any suggestions on getting more energy before these long workout days?

Thanks again,
-Benhamine
Benhamine

Postby KTG » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:55 am

Tempo work would be my suggestion for increasing energy. Jog along at a lower pace and then add in quarter or half-mile sprints.

Having said that, I'll admit I find it hard to motivate myself to do good tempo runs. I just like to run. I usually save up my pain and motivation points for the pullups.
KTG

WEEK 1 Finished

Postby Benhamine » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:56 pm

So week 1 is:

L1D1 6 sets with supplemented Pull-ups
L1D2 9:30 with supplemented Pull-ups
L1D3 10:20 with supplemented Pull-ups

Ok so the pul-ups are easily still the worst part. Unfortunately at around 12 push-ups I had to switch to alternate push-ups (read girl pushups :cry:) but that leaves room for improvement definitely... I did all the 'pull-ups' then the 'push-ups' then the squats. From what I've been reading on here that seems to be regulation for D3. Question about the squats. I've seen various bodyweight squats online and mainly my question is regarding whether I should go all the way down to the ground with my butt (or rather just above the ground) or until my thighs are parallel with the floor. I filmed myself doing them and I'm managing to keep my back straight and my knees back but I'm only going to parallel and I've seen both methods touted as THE method online so I figured I'd ask what this program tends to ask for. The squats are incredibly easy compared to the pull-ups/push-ups so I may just try going to the floor. In any case I have my W1 stats and now it's time to work on beating my records...however daunting that may seem (jk).

W1's done and I'm pumped!
-Benhamine out
Last edited by Benhamine on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benhamine

Postby wwitzel3 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Nice work. Our weeks are sync'd up so I will be looking forward to tracking your progress. Keep it up!
wwitzel3

Postby KTG » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Great start!

In my inexpert view squats should just go to parallel--like you are sitting on a low stool. If you go too low you're likely to round your back. I think the two most important tips are to make sure the weight is on your heels and not your toes and to keep your gaze up a little bit to, again, help keep the back straight.

For now just enjoy the squats being easy. They'll get harder soon enough. For me the squats always seemed to be more about keeping the heart rate up through the workout. But little by little you'll get strength gains too. By the time you get to level 4 or 5 they'll start to feel more taxing.
KTG

WEEK 2

Postby Benhamine » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Week 2:
L1D1: 16

So to explain the massive jump here. Last week I messed up and when I was working out I was doing it as if 1 alternate pull-up = 1 actual pull-up so when I finished I just took how many I did (18) and divided by 3 which gave me my 6. So this week's 16 is more indicative of what I can ACTUALLY do. Again had to do alternate pull-up's but I did 3 for each round this time. I was very happy with the 16. The last 6 were real tough and my arms are pretty sore right now. Did 10 arm circles forward then 10 backwards as a warm-up and some stretching: http://i.imgur.com/Fs0kw.png for my cool down. I took your advice KTG and did the squats to parallel. I don't know if I wasn't putting the weight on my heels before but now that I was conscious of that, I felt a bit more burn in my legs but still not really a leg workout. That's OK though, I run on my off days so it all works out I suppose. All in all happy with the day and excited about starting week 2!!!

-Benhamine out
Last edited by Benhamine on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Benhamine

Postby wwitzel3 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Nice work! And welcome back for week 2. It was great to see you post your workout! I was looking for it first then when I signed in.
wwitzel3

Postby Benhamine » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:39 am

Was going to start the C25K program last night but ended up taking my dog to the dog park for a couple of hours then got stuck on the phone for a couple hours. Ended up counting those couple of hours as walking though as I spent it pacing up and down my street. Not the most strenuous exercise but at least it was something :S

Looking forward to beating last weeks D2 tonight when I get home!

-Benhamine
Benhamine

Postby Benhamine » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:30 pm

L1D2: 9:08

Super excited with my time. Managed to shave off about 20 seconds from last week! The supplemented pull-ups felt better too. I can tell they're getting easier if even slightly. Still can't do a real one but I can tell now that will come with time for sure.

-Benhamine
Benhamine

Postby wwitzel3 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:10 am

Nice work! Good improvement, just wait, when you do that first clean dead hang full range pull-up you should probably have someone close by to high-five cause it feels awesome.
wwitzel3

Postby moizkader » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:19 pm

Good work, push now for an improvement in that D3 time!
moizkader

Postby Benhamine » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:30 pm

moizkader wrote:Good work, push now for an improvement in that D3 time!

No doubt. Even as much as I improved my time on D2 I bet I could've done it faster. D3 I'm going to give it everything I got and see just how much I can shave off.

Started C25K today, at the speed I was going I'd run about .55 miles by the end. I've been running for a few weeks now though and can do a solid 20 minutes of running straight so I think I'm going to try to advance through this to where I hit a wall. Sunday I'm going to move to week 2, if that's too easy Tuesday I'll do week 3 and so forth until I get to a real challenge and then maybe I'll back up a week. Has anyone else here done C25K that has done something like this? I don't know if it's the best way to do it but today was too easy for me. I think I'm really starting to get those hormones pumping or something. I was really excited to get home to run today and managed to keep that motivation all the way through the run. Looking forward to tomorrow trying to break my D3. All in all I'm having a ton of fun and loving this! So glad I finally have the dedication and hopefully I plow through any beginner hump that may be imminent once the improvements start to slow. I think having this log mixed with the community here and over at /r/fitness (reddit: how I found this) have helped tremendously. So I just want to say thanks guys :D

-Benhamine out
Benhamine

WEEK 2 Finished

Postby Benhamine » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:25 am

L1D3: 6:48!!!!!

Oh man my arms are on fire right now. I had to change to supplemented push-ups at 13 but did a 3:1 ratio from then out. Wow I was giving it everything and I couldn't have imagined that much of a difference. I know that that's with supplemented pull-ups and half supplemented push-ups but man am I excited with the time. I imagine I'll be enjoying my day off tomorrow though...

-Benhamine

Edit: Just realized Week 2 is done!

So here's Week 2:
L1D1: 16
L1D2: 9:08
L1D3: 6:48
Benhamine

Next

Return to workouts