Simplefit.org • View topic - Moizkader's log

Moizkader's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Moizkader's log

Postby moizkader » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Ok, it hurts!

Hello all. Complete newbie here, 36 years old, male, 196lbs, 6ft tall.

Day 1: 12 rounds with a mix of assisted chin ups (palms facing me), ie jump ups & negatives

I think I may have overdone it on my first day, a mixture of adrenaline and the need to trim down pushing further than I should have gone. I had to leave 3 clear rest days before I felt I could attempt day 2.

Day 2: 9mins 36secs with a mix of pull ups and chin up all assisted including jumps, negs and holds.

Another tough session made me realise how weak my muscles are. In pull up position I could barely hold in a dead hold on the second round, neither arms nor back able to take the weight. By the last round I could hold myself for 4 secs in chin up position with my hands close together but would collapse on the slow downward portion. My last two rounds of push ups were pretty weak too.

Edit: I think I mistimed day 2, I think it should be much longer!

I am going to continue in chin up position only for the next few weeks, doing negs and dead holds only. My lack of muscle probably explains why I put on weight so easily, I'm hoping that an increase in muscle mass will mean I start dropping weight quicker.

All in all, two days of exercise have been a real eye opener!!
moizkader

Re: Moizkader's log

Postby Benhamine » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Hey welcome! I'm just starting my second week and am in a similar position to you (6'1" 196lbs) and I can't do regular pull-ups yet either. It sucks but we'll get there good sir. As for your timing, you should check out this site. I use it to time my workouts: http://www.online-stopwatch.com/

Have fun and I look forward to keeping up with your progress!

-Benhamine
Benhamine

Postby moizkader » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:31 am

Hey Benhamine,

Had a browse through your log and you seem to be in a better starting position than me but it is good to have someone similar to compare to. I'm still trying to settle myself into which grip and technique for assisted pull-ups suits me best, might just keep mixing it up to keep things fresh.

How long do you think it'll take before we start seeing an improvement?
moizkader

Postby wwitzel3 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Nice work and welcome to the boards! I look forward to following your progress.

If you don't notice a lot of improvement with the negative drops after a few weeks, I highly recommend using a stool or chair with a leg on it to assist yourself. This will give you the full range of motion for the exercise, it really helped me break out when I got stalled on two pull-ups.
wwitzel3

Postby Benhamine » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:35 am

wwitzel3 wrote:Nice work and welcome to the boards! I look forward to following your progress.

If you don't notice a lot of improvement with the negative drops after a few weeks, I highly recommend using a stool or chair with a leg on it to assist yourself. This will give you the full range of motion for the exercise, it really helped me break out when I got stalled on two pull-ups.

This is what I do. I take a chair and start by just holding myself up as long as I can then letting myself down as slowly as I can rather than just dropping down. I don't know if this is the best way but it DEFINITELY works my arms out. They're like rubber afterwards lol. I really don't know how long it should take to see results in strength but I'm already losing weight so that's good. I'll check in after today with you to see how much my time's improved since last week as my D1 last week was botched.

-Benhamine
Benhamine

Postby moizkader » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Hey guys,

Well day 3 today, clocked in at 17:33.

It was tough. Did what you guys recommended (though I didn't see your recommendations till after I was done!) but used the chair which really helped me concentrate on form.

Push ups were tough today too though I've been struggling to recover from days 1 and 2. After 9 pushups I had to revert to girly ones (on my knees) but subbed them 3:1.

It's tough going but I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.
moizkader

Postby maddog » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:08 pm

You'll only get stronger and faster from here on...keep at it!
maddog
Advanced Member

Postby KTG » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:11 pm

Great work!

Doing knee push-ups or assisted pull-ups is how the progression works. It is all incremental. The role of the program is to give you a clear sense of the trajectory. The important thing is sticking with it and then these things will come along.

But let's not call them "girly" ones, since there are some women here, like maddog, who are in the habit of banging out a fearsome number of full-range pull-ups and push-ups before sitting down for breakfast.
KTG

Postby moizkader » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Maddog & KTG: thanks for the support!

I think that's the reason I choose this regime, you can easily see if you're improving or not and any improvement week by week gives you that motivation to get better still.

Oh, maddog, apologies for the whole girly thing! :)
moizkader

Postby moizkader » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:07 am

Well, I'd hoped today to do W2L1D1 but the inside of my elbows are really sore. I've iced them and am going to rest before I start again. It's very frustrating as I really want to keep momentum going, I'm the kind of person that needs momentum. Hopefully I'll be ok to get back onto it by Monday.
moizkader

Postby maddog » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:06 am

No offense was taken over here :) But thank you, KTG. I am indeed a big believer that associating weakness with femininity (even without intending insult) is a way of reinforcing patriarchy, but that's for another forum!

Back to simplefit stuff: I also had some trouble near the start with elbow pain, but I just made sure to ease up whenever it flared up to avoid injury. Focusing on push-up form helped me a lot, as far as keeping elbows close to the body, hands facing forward and slightly out, straight spine, etc. Good luck!
maddog
Advanced Member

Postby moizkader » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks maddog! :)

Form is one of the things I have concentrated on, I would rather go slow and do it properly than rush up to the next level just for the sake of it. My aim is to get into the 32" waist Abercrombie jeans I bought last year, not to reach level X by a certain point. However, I do think that the elbow pain is more from the pull ups than from the push ups.....but will rest and ice till Monday and see how it goes! Hopefully my jump rope will arrive in the post early next week so I can start adding some cardio to my workout too even if I am having to rest from simple fit.
moizkader

Postby moizkader » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:11 am

Did you all miss me? :)

Ok, birthdays and bereavements have hindered me beginning week 2 but managed to restart today.

W2L1D1: 19 rounds with chair assisted pull ups and subbed push ups after 9 rounds (3:1)

Don't feel as achy today but do have a decent sweat on which feels good. Jump rope arrived yesterday so I'll start making a fool of myself falling over from tomorrow.
moizkader

Postby KTG » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:04 am

19 rounds is a solid D1 performance.

I've never been very adept at the jump-rope. I look forward to hearing how that is going. I may have to give it a try again.
KTG

Postby moizkader » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:57 am

Ok, did 15 mins of fairly uncoordinated skipping, though it did improve after I went onto the decking from the asphalt. Don't know if i was getting a bit more spring. Didn't have me breathing hard like I expected but as I get better at it I'll start going for longer.

W2L1D2: 1:20 1:29 1:40 1:49 1:42 Total: 7:57 (pull ups were all subbed with chair assisted. Push ups were all subbed 3:1 after push ups in round 3)

It's an improvement over week 1 but I really didn't push hard week one where as today I did try and do it much quicker. I have to be careful with the chair subbed pull ups, I find if I rush and dont pay attention I tend to push more with my legs than pull up with my arms. Might explain why I did round 5 quicker than round 4. The push ups are hard on my shoulders, thats where I reach failure but hopefully it'll all improve over time.
moizkader

Next

Return to workouts