Simplefit.org • View topic - Cold_outside's log

Cold_outside's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Cold_outside's log

Postby cold_outside » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:33 am

Hey All,

I just have a few questions about my progress using the beginners exercises. My complete log is below (have been using a pull-up bar since W2D2). By the way, I am incredibly happy with my progress so far.

My questions:
1) I have noticed my total number of rounds for day 1 has been decreasing...Is it normal for the number of rounds to decrease as you level up? I assume it's okay since I'm actually doing more total reps.
2) For Day 3, I want to be able to finish the exercises without stopping. For example, W4D3 I really wanted to be able to do 20 pull-ups straight but I had to keep taking mini breaks (same with push-ups). Is this OK? I still finished in <5min.
3) When I do pull-ups my form on the first 30 is pretty solid. After that, my arms start to get a little tired and I find that my knees gradually come up as I'm doing the pull-up. I know it's bad form, how can I prevent this? Work on my abs?

Level Day Rounds/Time
Week 1
1 1 30 (no-pullups)
1 2 2:15 (no-pullups)
Week 2
1 1 52 (no-pullups)
1 2 3:26 (got pull-up bar)
1 3 2:09
Week 3
2 1 28
2 2 3:47
2 3 2:30
Week 4
2 1 36
2 3 2:21
Week 5
3 1 26
Week 6
3 1 20
3 2 3:45
Week 7
4 1 24
Week 8
4 1 25
4 2 4:07
4 3 4:09
Week 9
5 1 19
cold_outside

Re: Cold_outside's log

Postby KTG » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:10 am

The D1 rounds always go down with the level up. For me, even the total reps go down. Going from level 4 to level 5 I went from 31 rounds down to 17. That's 62 pull-ups/chin=ups down to 51. But 3 reps per set is much much harder for me than 2 reps per set.

I don't think anyone here does all the D5 pull-up reps in one set. That would be an interesting goal, but I suspect by the time you can do 21 pull-ups in a row you wouldn't find the D1 or D3 sets sufficiently challenging at any given level.

You are blasting through the program, so may well have to be looking for other challenges to make it more intense! Great job!
KTG

Re: Cold_outside's log

Postby cheapo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:07 pm

cold_outside wrote:My questions:
1) I have noticed my total number of rounds for day 1 has been decreasing...Is it normal for the number of rounds to decrease as you level up? I assume it's okay since I'm actually doing more total reps.
2) For Day 3, I want to be able to finish the exercises without stopping. For example, W4D3 I really wanted to be able to do 20 pull-ups straight but I had to keep taking mini breaks (same with push-ups). Is this OK? I still finished in <5min.
3) When I do pull-ups my form on the first 30 is pretty solid. After that, my arms start to get a little tired and I find that my knees gradually come up as I'm doing the pull-up. I know it's bad form, how can I prevent this? Work on my abs?

1. As KTG said, it is normal for the number of Day 1 rounds to drop when you level up. How could it be otherwise? But maybe you're asking a more subtle question:
    Maybe you are wondering if it makes sense that your number of rounds on Day 1 goes down, yet every week you beat Day 3? Taking this to its logical conclusion, the higher your level, the lower your number of Day 1 rounds. But it doesn't work out like that.

Looking at your log, I see you beating Day 3 every week. That means you are in better shape than what is needed to beat that level. As you continue to move up through the levels, you will reach a point where you won't be able to beat Day 3 on the first try. At that point, you will spend weeks or months at the same level, and you will have to work very hard on Day 1 and 2 to improve your conditioning to the point where you can beat Day 3.

Put it another way: Suppose you are in fantastic shape and you do Level 7 Day 1 and get 20 rounds. That's not a fantastic result. You could have got 28 or 30 if you went all out, but you were taking it easy. Then you try Day 3 and you beat that too, because you were already in good enough shape to to so. If your level of fitness is higher than what is required to beat a certain level, then your Day 1 results don't really correlate with your Day 3 results.

For me, I always have to be up to 27-30 rounds on Day 1 in order to beat Day 3.

2. It is normal to rest when needed on Day 3.

3. You could work on your abs. (I like Hollow Rocks), but really, just doing more pull-ups and push-ups will help.
cheapo

Return to workouts