Simplefit.org • View topic - KTG's Log

KTG's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Re: KTG's Log

Postby maddog » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:01 am

Whoa, 75 pull-ups/chin-ups in 20 minutes?! That's a really impressive achievement. And to imagine that you'll likely hit 90 by the time you level up, since 30 seems to be the magic number of rounds...pretty crazy.
maddog
Advanced Member

A little break

Postby KTG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:04 am

75 astonishes me as well.

Some kind of a cold-flu thing knocked me out this week. Finally got back on the horse today. Had to decide whether to start with D1 (too hard, but next on the schedule) D2 (the most fun) or D3 (quick and intense, and the normal Friday thing). Chose D3 figuring I could start up with D1 again next Monday. I thought it would be interesting to see the relative effects of having had nearly a 1-week break, vs. still being in recovery mode. The time was 7:33, so the answer was recovery mode was more problematic than the break was beneficial. Next week back at it for real.
KTG

Level 5 Week 14

Postby KTG » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:08 am

Arrrgh. No real progress this week.

L5D1 - 24 rounds -- 1 less than previous. I was on pace for 26 at the half-way point but really faded at the end.
L5D2 - 5:31 -- These were strong all the way through. Consistent at about 1:06 per round. All pull-ups. 2 minute rests.
L5D3 - 7:12 -- The chin-ups/pull-ups still take nearly 4 minutes (7-5-4-3-4-3). The push-ups (18-17-16) also felt like more of a struggle this week.

My D3 time has only inched up from 7:26 in the middle of January.

I did extra pull-ups again on Monday. I didn't do anything extra on Wed. or Thursday, so thought D3 would go better. I think I'm going to need to add some more push-ups work to move this forward.
KTG

Level 5 Week 15

Postby KTG » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:52 am

A little better this week.

L5D1 - 23 rounds - 2 off my PR and again 1 worst than last week. Fading on the pull-ups/chin-ups at the end.
L5D2 - 5:17 -This was rock solid. All pull-ups, all careful about form.
L5D3 - 6:44 - A nice improvement. PR and first time under 7 minutes. Form was solid on chin/pull-ups (7-5-4-3-4-3), a little weaker on the last few push-ups (18-17-16).

OK. This was a bit of an experiment. Two weeks ago I had a pretty good cold, so that may be a factor. But, last week I really concentrated on simplefit. Other than a little running and Wed. night fencing, I didn't do anything else. I thought this would give me a real boost on the pull-ups and push-ups. In fact, although I continued with a little improvement on D2, D1 and D3 were noticeably worse. Then I took the whole weekend off (apart from a run on Sunday). Again, I did even worse on D1 -- down to 23 rounds.

This week, after that D1 performance, I put back in my extra work through the week. I did another 28 pull-ups on Monday. I added 120 push-ups throughout the day on Wednesday. I did some plank work and two hard runs. With that mixture, both D2 and D3 were quite a bit stronger -- a 14 second improvement on D2 and a 28 second improvement on D3. Of course it may just be the process of getting over the cold or the irreducible week to week vagaries. The real test will come with next Monday's return to D1.
KTG

Postby johnnymack » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:59 am

Hi KTG - this is a great log!
I admire your dedication to strict form on the pullups - and to keep sticking in there working through the levels. Level 8 does seem superhuman but I think anyone getting to level 5 is doing great
johnnymack

Postby KTG » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:41 am

Thanks!

Really, I think anyone who could even stick with level 1 on a consistent basis is already going to be fitter and healthier than the vast majority of our sitting-on-the-couch friends and neighbors (well, level 1 plus a little cardio and some attention to diet).

So, I am very happy to be at level 5. Having broken the 7 minute barrier, I'm quite confident that I'll get to level six before reaching my biological limits. L6D1 and L6D2 don't look particularly intimidating at all, since the number of pull-ups doesn't go up by much. The 32 pull-ups on L6D3, on the other hand, are a little scary. Beyond that, the big numbers for levels 7 and 8 are unimaginable to me at this point.
KTG

Postby Alexender bill » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:24 am

Well Friends wanted to ask something I mean A little Question That I suppose I could shoot for four months at each level to finish level 8 by the end of the year. On the other hand, I'm not so sure eight is even possible with good form. Has anyone done it?
Alexender bill

Level 5 Week 16

Postby KTG » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:23 am

Just when I was getting a little cocky I seem to have reached my mental limits.

L5D1 - 25 rounds. Back to my PR level. Ready to move forward.
L5D2 - 5:09. Did the first 4 rounds in 1:02 or 1:03, then broke the 1 minute barrier for 59 seconds on the final round.
L5D3 - 8:08. Almost a minute and a half slower than last week. But, I think I did at least 4 extra pull-ups.

Felt very strong all week. I did an extra pull-up session on Monday and quite a few extra push-ups throughout the week. I'll do some more pull-ups and push-ups today.

While D1 and D3 go up and down a little, D2 has consistently gotten stronger with good form over the whole 16 weeks. It took me about 12 weeks to get to this D2 speed on level 4, and then I did not get much faster (5:02 was my best) before leveling up. My pull-ups are feeling quite a bit stronger.

So what happened on D3? I'm not sure. I thought I would do the workout in the dark (very zen) and didn't need to write down my sets because I've got this groove down pretty well by now. But, I actually spaced out and lost track in the middle of the pull-up sets (too zen, maybe). I'm pretty sure I did at least one extra set of 4, and there may have been even more (I wanted to err on the side of being sure it was done). We'll see how next week goes to make a final assessment. I'll go back to writing things down.
KTG

Level 5 Week 17

Postby KTG » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:46 am

L5D1 - 24 rounds. 1 less than last week.
L5D2 - 5:04. Solid 5 seconds faster than last week. All pull-ups. Good form all the way through. 2 minute rests
L5D3 - 6:33. Modest 11 second improvement, but I'll take it.

Solid week. A little more struggle on D1, which seems to be at a plateau. I've been between 23-25 rounds for 7 weeks now. But, D2 gets consistently faster with every week and I'm up almost a minute faster on D3. I'm still doing extra pull-ups on D1 and extra push-ups through the week. D3 still alternating chin-ups/pull-ups 7-5-4-3-4-3 and doing push-ups in 18-17-16. Lots of room still for strengthening both the pull-ups and the push-ups.
KTG

Level 5 Week 18

Postby KTG » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:35 am

L5D1 - 25 rounds. Same as previous best. Still on the plateau, but at least back on the top of it. Maybe next week.
L5D2 - 4:59. 5 second improvement. First time under 1min/round average.
L5D3 - 6:28. Also a 5 second improvement. I was hoping for a little better.

D2 is actually feeling pretty easy. I don't know if there is much more room for improvement without the pull-ups getting wild. I may need to think about increasing the numbers or shortening the breaks. Interestingly, I never got L4D2 below 5 minutes. D3 is grinding along. Unlike D2, lots of room for improvement by strengthening the pull-ups and push-ups and shortening breaks.

I'm now on my 18th week for level 5. It took me 16 weeks to get through level 4, which (as some remarked) seemed interminable. Still, there has been consistent, if slow progress on L5. There remains another 1:30 to take out of L5D3, which feels pretty formidable. It took 10 weeks to get from 8 minutes down to 6:30. I probably have to take 5-8 weeks off beginning in June, so the pressure is on to try to get through L5 in the next 8 weeks.
KTG

Postby Beaver » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:26 am

KTG, you are the man!!!!! doing all strict pullups is amazing. I have been mixing grips, but if I did all pullups, I would still be at level 3.
Beaver

Level 5 Week 19

Postby KTG » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:49 am

Thanks! But actually it's Maddog who's "the man." She does all pull-ups all the time. I do all pull-ups on D2, but on D1 and D3 I alternate pull-up and chin-up sets. I too would probably have to go back to level 4 for all pull-ups (though they are getting better). I do go full-hang to chest-to-bar on every rep of pull-ups and chin-ups. It's possible I could eke out level 5 now just flashing the chin to the bar and allowing a little more swing.

This week I'm particularly not feeling like the man, since every day came in below PR. So this feels like a real plateau.

L5D1 - 24 rounds. -1 from PR. I did 25 rounds of pull-ups/chin-ups, but simply ran out of time to finish the last round.
L5D2 - 5:13 - 14 seconds slower than last week's PR.
L5D3 - 6:32 - 4 seconds slower than last week's PR.

For L5D3 this week I tried being more flexible about the reps. Usually I've been doing chin-ups/pull-ups at 7-5-4-3-4-3. This time I tried to just go with what felt right, thinking it is always a little tricky figuring out what the right break is when you are aiming for a specific rep count. So, I did 7-5-4-3-3-2-2 on the chin-ups/pull-ups and 18-17-10-6 on the push-ups. Didn't help. Next time I'll go back to the regular sets.

L5D2 still feels pretty maxed out at about a minute per round.

I continue to do an extra bunch of pull-ups on Mondays (8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 ladder with 1.5 minute breaks). The pull-ups are feeling stronger, but that isn't translating into much faster times yet. Sooner or later it will come along.
KTG

Level 5 Week 20

Postby KTG » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:52 am

So here we are at 5 months on level 5.

L5D1 - 24 rounds again. Exactly the same as last week, made 25 rounds of pull/chin-ups, but ran out of time to finish round 25.
L5D2 - 5:37. I notched down to 1.5 minute rests instead of 2. Still all pull-ups
L5D3 - 6:11. 17 second improvement over old PR. Back to 7-5-4-3-4-3 alternating chin-ups/pull-ups and 18-17-16 push-ups. Straight squats.

After 8 weeks stuck at 24-25 rounds for L5D1 and 3 weeks at about 6:30 for L5D3 I was starting to think I might be hitting some kind of limit. L5D2 was feeling very strong, but I wasn't sure there was that much room for improvement holding good form at about 1 minute per round. So, seems to me I needed to either increase the numbers or reduce the rest times on D2. I decided to go with the rest times, moving down to 1.5 minutes. I think I'll stay there until I get L5D2 back down to the 1 minute per round range again.

Once again I did extra pull-ups on Monday evening, and worked a little more on push-ups throughout the week.

I was pleasantly surprised, then, with the solid improvement on L5D3. About 1 more minute to go. What do you think--3-4 months? Unfortunately I have to take a month off in June, so I could still be banging on level 5 at the end of the year. Fortunately, the motivation comes from the small week-to-week gains that add up to huge year-to-year improvements. Last April I was just finishing L2--so I'm now doing twice as many of each exercise in about the same time for D3.
KTG

Postby maddog » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:43 am

I definitely think you could get L5 done in 3-4 months, if not less. I feel like once you get close to the five minute mark, the proximity of the goal helps you shave off those extra few seconds through sheer willpower. I'll also have to take a break from sf, though mine will be three months. It will be interesting to see how quickly progress is lost and regained...
maddog
Advanced Member

Level 5 Week 21

Postby KTG » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:34 am

Moving off the plateau this week:

L5D1 - 26 rounds. +2 over last week and +1 over previous PR.
L5D2 - 5:30. Once again all pull-ups and just 1.5 minute rests between rounds. 7 seconds better than last week.
L5D3 - 5:59. Woohoo! Through the 6 minute barrier. -12 secs from last week. 1 minute to shave. (same sets/reps as last week).

This was a great week for all three workouts. Key for D1 was trying to cut out the little "I'll just catch my breath" breaks between rounds. I kept pushing to go directly from the squats to the next round's pull-ups. On D1 and D3 I noticed that the real killer is when the pull-ups start to get tough you expend so much extra energy just struggling to get up to the bar--it really drains the tank for the next round.

I think you are right, Maddog, that L6 is definitely in my sights now. Getting this close really helps with the final push.

A three month break will be brutal. I hope you'll have some kind of exercises you can do to keep in the game.
KTG

PreviousNext

Return to workouts