Simplefit.org • View topic - Bubs' Log

Bubs' Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Bubs' Log

Postby Bubs » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

L1D1

I managed to complete 20 rounds but my pullups were all 1 leg assisted and some of my pushups ended up being a easier (girlie) version. The squats are no issue for me and they were all completed as the 'air' version.

L1D2

I did the session in 2:16. I took 14 minutes in breaks with the first one being 2 minutes and the rest were 3 minutes. I'm staying on L1 until I can do the pullups unassisted and all the pushups without having to switch to the easier one. The squats are still easy for me.

I may start throwing in some negatives to help in the pullup department. I'm open to any suggestions for other ways to progress my pullups. Anyone use the Kipping(sp?) version to help with pullups.
Bubs

Re: Bubs' Log

Postby Bubs » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:20 am

L1D3

Finished with a time of 2:34. I'm still not able to perform a legit pull-up and can't get through the pushups without resorting to the girlie style part way through but if I keep at it I'm sure to make some progress. Having said that, I just found out the nagging ache / pain I've been having in my shoulder is Tendonitis so looks like no pushups for me until that is better (therapists orders). No matter what I think I should stay on level 1 until I can do the alloted pull-ups and pushups unassisted. I'm open to any comments any of you might have regarding me staying on L1 or should I move on to the next level even if I can't do the pull-ups unassisted.
Bubs

Postby KTG » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Welcome to simplefit! It's great to have you here.

My recommendation is to take it really easy and stay on level 1 until you get the tendinitis sorted. But, the most important thing is figuring out what motivates you. If you find it more motivating moving up through the levels with assisted pull-ups and push-ups and then returning to a lower level when you make the breakthrough to the full range-of-motion versions, then go for it. Whatever works for you is good. Just keeping at it at whatever level is what makes the difference. There are a number who have started about where you are and are now doing the full program.

I do have a bit of a thing about not calling them "girlie" push-ups. This is in the first place because knee push-ups are a perfectly legitimate intermediate step between not being able to do any push-ups and doing the full version (and then one-arm and planche push-ups somewhere beyond that). In the second place it is worth noting that there are some women doing the program here who regularly bang out fearsome numbers of full-bore pull-ups and push-ups.

We'll look forward to hearing how you're progressing!
KTG

Postby Bubs » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Hey KTG,
Good point on the 'girlie' pushups. You're right, it is a legitimate step while working up to the full version and I use them to get my round in because if I didn't i would only be getting about 4 full version push ups before my strength is sapped. My apologies if I offended any women here on the site, it's just a term I had heard somewhere else before.

If I get bored doing level 1 all the time then maybe I'll just move on and then return to a lower level when I can accomplish at least some unassisted pull-ups. I guess for now I've got to take it easy and get this Tendonitis taken care of. I can still do the pull-ups and squats just gotta back off on the pushups...oh well.
Bubs

Postby cheapo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:33 am

KTG wrote:Welcome to simplefit! It's great to have you here.
cheapo

Postby Bubs » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks Cheapo....I read about Simplefit over on MDA and thought I'd like to give it a try. So far I like it for it's simplicity and the small amount of time it takes.

Hey, I see you're a Maritimer too...I'm in NB
Bubs

Postby Bubs » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Still working on getting my tendonitis cleared up so I've kinda put simplefit aside for now. I do go to my chinup bar just about every day and see if I can do just one unassisted pullup. So far I can do about a 1/2 pullup unassisted. I'm happy about this seeing that I couldn't even move my weight off the floor at all before starting simplefit. I'm looking forward to getting back to it and looking forward to achieving my goals of doing 10 pushups, 10 pullups and 50 squats. the squats I can do, the others still need work.
Bubs

Postby KTG » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:37 am

It will come. The most important thing is keeping at it in whatever form.
KTG

Postby Bubs » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:19 pm

KTG,

You're right, it will come. The shoulder is feeling better since going to Physio so hopefully I can be back at it soon.
Bubs

Return to workouts