Simplefit.org • View topic - Moizkader's log

Moizkader's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Re: Moizkader's log

Postby moizkader » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:01 am

W5L1D1: 19 rounds

Mix of negs and single leg chair assisted. I'm getting more comfortable with push ups but the pull ups continue to frustrate me. I think the road to my first proper pull up is a mighty long one.
moizkader

Postby moizkader » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:14 am

Back after a 10 day hiatus in which life got in the way!

Did my day two today, untimed. Felt really good, did a hybrid pull up, feet on a chair in front, legs straight so sort of like an Australian pull up but about 3-4 inches from the top my feet would come off the stool and I'd pull myself up the rest of the way (mostly) then a slow release down to a full stretch.

Did much much better than I thought I would and was happy I was going through a full-ish range of motion.
moizkader

Postby moizkader » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:40 am

W5L1D1: Time 11mins 38secs

Although a slower time than before I felt form and range of movements was better. I was pulling up with my arms and chest with very little push from legs so definately worked much harder. Also came in and did today after 25 mins of skipping so legs were shaky during squats and arms were more tired than usual. All in all though I still feel like there have been massive improvements (i have also lost 20lbs in weight since I started).

M
moizkader

Postby moizkader » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:26 am

After yet another long hiatus I am trying to get myself back onto simplefit properly. I started my weight loss program (I am 6ft tall and weighed 198lbs) in parallel with simplefit and although my simplefit program has dropped away over the last 6 weeks or so my diet and cardio program (jump rope) has been pretty good. I am now down to 173lbs and although that is a reasonable weight for someone my size, using the military method for calculating body fat I have a body fat percentage of 20%. I have upped my calorie intake slightly (instead of a 1000 calorie deficit I am now going at about a 600 deficit) and want to really push the bodyweight strength training side of things.

All in all, even though I have not done any simplefit programs in nearly 4 weeks I was able to do my first four rounds of L1D1 with legitimate pull ups (the first being a palms facing away, proper pull up, the next three with palms parallel to each other) and that has left me exhilarated. I am sure it is both a combination of increased strength from the 5 weeks of the program I have done already and also the fact I am lifting 25lbs less weight.

Anyway, I am suffering from a head cold and almost put it off today but thought if I do that I will never get started. I am glad I did do it today, it has me psyched and really looking forward to attacking day 2 on Monday. Here's hoping for that flat stomach in the coming weeks!

W1(I am considering this a fresh start)L1D1: 16 rounds
moizkader

Postby KTG » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:54 am

Great job. Congratulations on the pull-ups. They are they hardest element, and thus are also the most rewarding (at least after they're done!)

I've found the height/weight BMI calculators come in high compared to skin calipers. In any case, 20% BF is a great foundation.
KTG

Postby moizkader » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:58 am

Hi KTG,

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm finding it hard to stick to the routine, letting days slip for poor reasons. Knowing I may be slightly lower than what I thought I was Body Fat wise is encouraging too, it is now a case of watching the inches rather than watching the scales and seeing how much I can grab (there's plenty!!).

Managed to squeeze in a late night day3 session today.

W1L1D3: 10m 12s
(I did d2 on Thursday but it was untimed)
moizkader

Postby moizkader » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:16 am

W2L1D1: 15 rounds (7 parallel grip, 2 pull ups & 1 chin up, the rest chair assisted).

Took my time, rested and really tried to do legitimate pull ups not chair assisted. Very happy, can really feel the progress.
moizkader

Postby KTG » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:59 am

Getting to a few real pull-ups is the big step. Then it is just a matter of sticking with it and you'll see steady real progress. Great job!
KTG

Postby moizkader » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:05 am

Thanks again KTG.

I've really got myself focused now. Since losing weight I've started thinking about my appearance a lot more and am trying to dress more like a 36 year old and less like a 20 year old in baggy jeans and oversized tshirt. But that's made me realise how narrow my shoulders are compared to my hips and so I am more focused than ever to try and build a bit of bulk to my upper body.
moizkader

Postby Axel » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:22 am

I was just reading trough your log, and this actually got me motivated! Even though you're some random person trough the interwebs, I'm real proud of you and your progress, don't give up!
Axel

Postby moizkader » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:10 am

Hey Axel,

That's one of the best things about this routine and setup is the community and forum. Keeping motivated is one of the hardest parts for me and constantly posting on here keeps me motivated, so that when someone like KTG pops on and praises your hard work it gives you that boost to keep going further. I'm glad I have been a motivation to you, work hard, the rewards are well worth it.

W2L1D2: No timing

W2L1D3: 11m 35s (4 proper pullups, 6 parallel hands).

A slower time than last week but I was taking lots of rest between single pull ups. Was determined not to use the chair at all and though a maybe fell short of pulling myself up completely on the last 2 or 3 pull ups I think I worked myself pretty hard. I'm really not going to be watching the times much until I am happy with form and that I am completing the pull ups correctly. Then I'll start making the push for that 5 min time.

I also try and do a couple of pull ups two or three times a day. If I'm stood in my bedroom, where my bar is, and I'm not doing anything I'll just grab the bar and pull myself a couple of times.
moizkader

Postby moizkader » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:52 am

W3L1D1: 20 rounds, combination of pull ups and parallel hands. I do think I've been giving myself a little foot boost when I pull up but not much. Going to give myself that till I can really do dead hang ones. I'm sweating like mad so it's not like I haven't worked!
moizkader

Postby KTG » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:35 am

Looks great. I'm glad to hear my popping on and popping off is helpful. I agree that the community and accountability really helps.

I too get a little jump boost on my first chin-up/pull-up. I've decided just to live with that. I think It makes it a little easier for me mentally to push the timer-button and get started (as contrasted to forcing the dead-hang pause at the beginning). My compensation is to try to do minimum sets of 3 for the D3 test, so the jump-up benefit isn't too much of an advantage.

But it's all progress. Whatever keeps you motivated and moving forward is good.
KTG

Postby moizkader » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:31 am

Ha, is it irony that after we discuss momentum and motivation I end up not returning to the board for 9 days. Well, I'll state that guests for Easter and a bad stomach bug going through the family are my excuses.

I did manage to squeeze out a day 2 during the hols though, trying to keep an eye on form as usual. I have been very happy that I managed to complete D2 all with pull ups, no chin ups or parallel hands at all. Today I did my D3 after a 25min skipping session again, all 10 pull ups were in a standard fashion with the first 4 done in a continuous set then a couple of 2s and the last 4 or so done as singles. I can't believe the progress I have made over the last few weeks since I restarted!

W3L1D3: 6m 5s!!!!!!!!

Looking at that time I think next week I could possibly push a sub 5 min time. However, I was thinking that I wouldn't move myself up until I was able to complete the 10 pull ups in at least a 4-3-3 fashion (ie, no singles) because I know I get that little boost right at the start (my bar is quite low). However, if you guys think I would benefit more by moving up to L2 rather than working on form/technique at L1 then if I do manage a sub 5min time I'll move up.

Woo!
moizkader

Postby moizkader » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:24 am

Hey guys, was hoping you might be able to help me out.

For those of you that haven't followed my thread, I have lost 28-30lbs so far, going from just under 200 to around the 170 mark (i'm 6'0" tall). However, I still find myself carrying a lot of fat, the dreaded "skinny fat". I also have terrible posture, my hips tilt forwards, my back and shoulders are rounded and my neck stick forwards.

My long term goal is to improve posture, improve my body shape and to generally look and feel fitter.

So, I have a number of things I am doing but I'm not sure if I am degrading the benefit of one thing by doing the other.

a) Simplefit
b) Additional workouts to help posture - external rotations and bent over rows to build upper/middle back and lots and lots of chest stretching to help rounded shoulders. Lots of deep hamstring stretching to balance against simplefit squats to help align hips.
c) Cardio - skipping, swimming and football (soccer)
d) Still following a diet routine of 1500-1600kcal per day.

I know the basics, reduce calorie intake lower than expenditure to lose weight.; raise calorie intake above expenditure and lift heavy weights to bulk up.

But what should I do? Should I maybe take the diet out of the equation for now? Go back to normal eating? Should I reduce the cardio? Or do I still continue to cut, concentrating on the cardio and diet and just do the simplefit and additional bodyweight exercises to help and build a little muscle?

Thanks in advance for all your advice

(I'm going to cross post this into the other forum too as a separate thread)
moizkader

PreviousNext

Return to workouts