Simplefit.org • View topic - USMCPhil's Log

USMCPhil's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

USMCPhil's Log

Postby usmcphil » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Found this site through some searching I did for some basic body weight exercises I can do anywhere, as I travel a lot. As you can probably tell by my username, I'm in the Marine Corps, so I have a basic level of fitness that is required for work. Our annual PFT (Physical Fitness Test) consists of a 3 mile run (18:00 for perfect score), max crunches in 2 minutes (100 for perfect score), and dead hang pullups (20 for perfect score). I have always been more of a runner than a gym rat when it comes to working out, so my pullups are what I need the most help on, with my personal best being only 14. Anyways, looking at simplefit, it seems like a great building program that pushes you in different ways.

I did Level 1, Day 1 today at a local park: 45 rounds, and the squats were definitely getting to me by the end! I thought for sure the pullups would limit me on this, but only doing one at a time made it possible to keep going. I am excited to see progress in the future with this program.

I am currently 6'1", 185 lbs.
usmcphil

Re: USMCPhil's Log

Postby cheapo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:40 am

Welcome Phil!

45 rounds is a lot! You are going to be sore by the time Day 2 rolls around. If you can't do Day 2, or have to do it with poor form, or if it takes forever, that's fine. The kind of soreness that comes after 45 rounds of Day 1 can be...surprising. Since you're a Marine, this isn't your first workout, and I know you're not coming from a sedentary lifestyle, but still I'd be curious to hear about how sore you are.

In any case, with a result like 45 rounds, I'd say Level 4 or 5 would be a better place for you.
cheapo

Postby usmcphil » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:03 pm

Definitely a little sore yesterday and a little more today. Mostly my quads, as it's been a while since I did any sort of squats.

Today I did the L1D2 workout in 3:00, no breaks, just straight through. I'll probably finish the week on level 1 and then skip to level 3 or 4 for next week.
usmcphil

Postby usmcphil » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:54 am

Ok, back for more!

I am transitioning over to a Primal Blueprint lifestyle, so I spent the last week more focused on "detoxing" than working out. After 3-4 days of headaches from caffeine withdrawal, I'm ready to get back into it.

Monday - Jumped up to level 4 day 1, was able to complete 21 rounds. Could feel the soreness in my shoulders and pecs. Quads are much much better than they felt after the first day of level 1 day 1, that's for sure.

Wednesday - Level 4 Day 2, start to finish, completed the workout in 10:58, including resting time. That was last night, so no major soreness yet, but I'm looking forward to Friday's workout already.

Again, my short-term goal here is to achieve 20 dead hang pullups (all the way up to chin over bar, all the way down to arms locked out, no kipping allowed), so that I can max out that part of my annual Physical Fitness Test. A lot of my friends at work insist that it's easiest just to try a max set of pullups a few times a week and watch your overall max rise slowly, but I think there's a smarter approach than that so I'm really digging these simplefit workouts.
usmcphil

Postby KTG » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:58 am

Great work! I don't know how well simplefit will do for building up the max pull-ups. But, it will definitely help solidify the base. You might need to add some additional work focused on increasing the pull-ups. Good luck!
KTG

Return to workouts