Simplefit.org • View topic - Few questions before starting

Few questions before starting

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Few questions before starting

Postby specialk » Mon May 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Hey all. Love the idea of this site. I have been doing diet + cardio for a year and lost about 200 lbs so far. I've tried several times to incorporate strength training (barbell squat/dead/bench focused routine), but each time has failed because I couldn't fit it into my lifestyle in a way which I would keep it up. I need something that I don't have to think about, and I think this routine may work well for me.

I also feel like my diet (very grain/bean based, about 65/15/10 carb/fat/protein) may leave me hormonally imbalanced. Though I am losing weight at a healthy rate, I have to keep on my toes constantly to make sure my cravings don't run wild. So I would like to try the paleo-style to see how that works out for me. Probably will hold off on the IF stuff for a few weeks at least.

There are both training and nutrition questions in this post, but I chose this forum because it was first on the list :)

-What kind of dietary modifications do I need to make to keep up my cardio (distance running)? Eat an extra serving of fruit at every meal maybe? I run easy 3 times per week, 45 minutes twice and 90 minutes once. And hard twice a week (about 20 minutes of hard each time, within a 45 minute workout). By "hard" I mean lactate-threshold style workout, not HIIT or VO2Max. I would like to keep my running where it is, because I enjoy the hell out of it.

-Chin up bar. Will my cheap apartment's door frame fall apart? I'm 250 lbs currently. I don't know how these install -- so this may be a stupid question.

-I know there's a big push for organic/no-preservatives food within the paleo community. How big of a deal is this? I always thought of it as a gimmick.

Thanks for the site Kevin!
specialk

Postby Admin » Mon May 28, 2007 2:52 pm

Hey all. Love the idea of this site. I have been doing diet + cardio for a year and lost about 200 lbs so far. I've tried several times to incorporate strength training (barbell squat/dead/bench focused routine), but each time has failed because I couldn't fit it into my lifestyle in a way which I would keep it up. I need something that I don't have to think about, and I think this routine may work well for me.

Great, good to have you here!

I also feel like my diet (very grain/bean based, about 65/15/10 carb/fat/protein) may leave me hormonally imbalanced. Though I am losing weight at a healthy rate, I have to keep on my toes constantly to make sure my cravings don't run wild. So I would like to try the paleo-style to see how that works out for me. Probably will hold off on the IF stuff for a few weeks at least.

Give it a try and see how you feel

There are both training and nutrition questions in this post, but I chose this forum because it was first on the list Smile

-What kind of dietary modifications do I need to make to keep up my cardio (distance running)? Eat an extra serving of fruit at every meal maybe? I run easy 3 times per week, 45 minutes twice and 90 minutes once. And hard twice a week (about 20 minutes of hard each time, within a 45 minute workout). By "hard" I mean lactate-threshold style workout, not HIIT or VO2Max. I would like to keep my running where it is, because I enjoy the hell out of it.

Try replacing the grains with fruit and vegetables try to get to around 40/30/30

-Chin up bar. Will my cheap apartment's door frame fall apart? I'm 250 lbs currently. I don't know how these install -- so this may be a stupid question.

I got a door gym and I think it would be fine, there are some big guys on this site who can chime in.

-I know there's a big push for organic/no-preservatives food within the paleo community. How big of a deal is this? I always thought of it as a gimmick.

Try it and see how you feel, it makes a big difference for many

Welcome!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby volleyball_man » Mon May 28, 2007 6:31 pm

6'4" 235lbs

Use the door gym - a little tight on the fit (vertical and horizontal). I have to start on my knees (no kipping) and wide grips are all but out due to elbows hitting the door frame. Weight wize I feel safe on it. I actually wrapped a towel around it for body rows and felt secure.

I ordered mine from amazon, but some have saved a few bucks ordering elsewhere. Kevin, didn't you also post another - possibly better - version somewhere in here?

Good luck!
volleyball_man

Return to fitness training