Simplefit.org • View topic - Practicing's Log

Practicing's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Practicing's Log

Postby Practicing » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm about to do my third week of L1D2 and thought I would start my log in the forums. I didn't start it at first for fear that I wouldn't keep up with it. My current results:

Week 1
L1D1: 22
L1D2: 4:39
L1D3: 8:30

Week 2
L1D1: 28
L1D2: 4:04
L1D3: 6:30

Week 3
L1D1: 23
L1D2: 5:20
L1D3: 8:06

Week 4
L1D1: 27
L1D2: 4:28
L1D3: 4:48!

Week 5
L2D1: 24
L2D2: 6:46
L2D3: 6:47

Background: 5'10" 150-155lb 27yo male. I have a minor history of lifting weights and a minor tricep injury. I did a few weeks of P90X a few months ago and that was just something that I couldn't keep up with from a cold start. I figured that simplefit would be a much smarter place to start and maybe I could work up to P90X.

My week 3 L1D1 dipped because I started to focus much more on form. My pullups had been half pullups on the up side and full drop downs on the back side. Shockingly, I was half-assing my squats (no pun intended). I was always very proud of my squat form but for whatever reason, I was not going all the way down as far as I could. I've corrected that and now have a nice burn in my quads.

I'm also having trouble keeping count on my day 1s. Does anyone have a good suggestion for this?
Last edited by Practicing on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:19 am, edited 10 times in total.
Practicing

Re: Practicing's Log

Postby dolem » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:11 pm

I just keep a small piece of paper and a pen nearby and do a quick tally after each round.
dolem

Postby brmc72 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:10 am

dolem wrote:I just keep a small piece of paper and a pen nearby and do a quick tally after each round.

Yup, that's how I do it too. Towards the beginning of the workout, I'll usually do 5 sets in a row before I write it down then, as I start to get fatigued, I'll put a tick down after each set (since I need a few seconds between sets to regroup).
brmc72
Advanced Member

Postby Practicing » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:47 pm

Thanks for the tips, gents. It took me surprisingly until today to get my 3rd L1D2 in but it was done. I am slowing down, as I mentioned in my original post, because I am getting better form, which is slowing me down. Especially with pull ups and squats.

But today, I did my pull ups with full range of motion and was able to do the first four sets without an issue. The last pull up was a bit of a challenge and I did not quite get all of the way up but I slowly dropped down so as to make sure that I had at least the reverse down.
Practicing

Postby Practicing » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:50 am

Finished my day 3 yesterday. My form is improving tremendously. I'm able to do 4 really good pull ups in a row now. That's making me feel great.

I've been doing P90X's Abripper X after each of my workouts for the past 4 or 5 and it is killer. I have been slowly working my way up to all the reps and I think I will be able to do the whole thing (with breaks) within my next 2 or 3 attemps.
Practicing

Postby KTG » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:27 am

Great start! That 4 pullups in a set is a great foundation. Consistency and staying at it for the long run is the key.
KTG

Postby Practicing » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:41 am

Thanks! I'm very happy with it.

I did my 4th L1D1 yesterday. I attempted to pace myself for exactly 30, but at around 12-15, I started to slip off the pace. When I was at 6:40 remaining, I was at 18 and decided that I was going to push it as hard as I could. My pull ups were getting ugly, so I gave myself a slight boost on the way up and did my best to keep good form on the negatives.

I'm thinking that this is the week where I break that 5 minute mark.
Practicing

Postby barefootkilt » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:50 pm

Awesome. The more you do it, the longer your form will stay in check. Keep up the good work
barefootkilt

Postby Practicing » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:08 am

Finished my 4th L1D2 on Saturday. I felt great doing it.

Regarding stretching: does anyone have a go-to set of stretches? I do a few that I learned from P90X but I don't know if they are working.

I plan to move to L2 next week, regardless of my performance on L1D3 today. Four weeks at a level is enough for me and I need to increase the intensity.

I am shocked at myself for keeping up this long. My typical downfall comes when I get into a rhythm, don't see enough of a change and quickly add too many things, become overwhelmed and just quit. So far, I've been doing this and, as I mentioned before, I added the P90X Abripper X workout to each day. That is a hard workout and I am only just now able to do all of the moves, and that is after significant breaks. I plan to wait until I can do the entire Abripper in under 20 minutes before I start to change things up.
Practicing

Postby Practicing » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:31 pm

I did it! 4:48 for today's L1D3! Before I started, I told myself that I was going to beat 5 minutes and I did it. I finished my pull ups in 2:30 and I thought that I was home free because those have been my biggest impediment and I took it easy at the end of my squats, not realizing how close it was.

I was able to do a set of 5 good form pull ups. That might have been the most exciting thing to me. I can't believe how that has improved over the last 4 weeks. If anyone out there thinks they can't do it, just keep modifying. I've been jumping and holding tight on the negatives and my strength is improving dramatically, especially given that I've gained ~5 pounds of muscle (I'm hoping) since starting.
Practicing

Postby Practicing » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:25 am

Wow that was a hard 24 rounds to get through. I didn't realize how hard it would be to get all the push ups done. I am feeling a bit sore today.

My goal was to keep at a 30 pace and I was doing pretty well with that at 10 minutes, with 14 done, but I was completely shot by that time and could barely keep up 1 per minute at that point.

Nothing in particular to report other than that I'm really happy with this and am seeing some serious results.
Practicing

Postby KTG » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:43 am

Great job on finishing Level 1! At the 10 minute mark on D1 I, too, often find myself wondering if this is the one I'm simply not going to be able to get through.
KTG

Postby Practicing » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:06 pm

6:46 on L2D2. It was much harder than I anticipated. My third pull up was almost entirely terrible by the 3rd set but I kept pushing as hard as I could. I was also getting pretty gassed on the pus ups and for the first time, really felt it in my core on those.

Two questions:
- Is a 90 second break between sets ok? I just noticed that the break is intended to be 3 minutes but I've been using 90 seconds consistently.
- I've been noticing some light pain in my left knee as I'm doing my squats. It feels similar to a lactic acid build up. The pain seems to be localized to the front of my knee, below the kneecap in the center. Has anyone dealt with this kind of pain before?
Practicing

Postby Practicing » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:20 am

6:47 on L2D3. My knee issues are becoming more pronounced. There is a serious soreness that I'm starting to get worried about. I am going to take a full 2 days off and try to ice and see how it feels on Thursday before I try to go for L2D1 again. I might see a doctor soon.
Practicing

Postby dolem » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:00 pm

Try reading this, are you doing your squats correctly? http://befitandstrong.com/thigh-exercises-the-bw-squat/
dolem

Next

Return to workouts