Simplefit.org • View topic - Weights with squats?

Weights with squats?

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Weights with squats?

Postby vooweevoo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:00 am

I was wondering if you're supposed to be doing the squats with a bar, and maybe weights? Also, when do you know when is a good time to move up a level? Thanks!
vooweevoo

Postby samjackson » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:23 am

No weights for squats. Body weight only. Don't worry, its enough.

If the workouts take longer that 30 minutes or less than 5 minutes you need to adjust your level up or down.

Good luck and have fun.
samjackson
Advanced Member

Postby vooweevoo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:34 am

Thanks for the quick reply! Totally missed the finishing before 5 minutes thing on the web page sorry about that.
vooweevoo

Postby aipe » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:57 pm

samjackson wrote:No weights for squats. Body weight only. Don't worry, its enough.

Hi,

I easily can do 20+ body weight squats in a row, but only 1 pull-up and 1-2 push-ups. So there seems to be a huge difference in strength between pull-ups/push-ups on the one hand and BW squats on the other hand. I can hardly believe that BW squats are enought for me in comparison to the other (upper body) exercises, especially for the strength day (day 2).

As I have an old pair of dumbbells with some weight plates at home, I think it makes sense to adjust the difficulty (= possible rep range) of the squat to the one of the other exercises (at least <10, not 20+), or is there a specific reason for higher rep squats?
aipe

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:07 pm

Go for it another option is 1 legged squats do a search I posted some good articles. Also you should try to get you upper body more in balance with your lower so I would try to get the arms up with the legs a little more.

My 2 cents
Admin
Site Admin

Postby scumdogg » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:37 pm

Just to help you in your search, one-legged squats are also called pistols. On a side note, Pavel Tsatsouline has a book called The Naked Warrior that talks quite a bit about pistols and other body-weight exercises. I've only read excerpts from the book so can't vouch for its effectiveness, but it sounded interesting.
scumdogg

Postby dgkimpton » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:51 pm

I easily can do 20+ body weight squats in a row

You sure you are doing the form right?

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Cros ... Squats.wmv
dgkimpton

Postby ucffool » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:06 pm

Thanks for that video... Personally, my squats may be rolling forward a bit, so I'll have to look into that a bit.
ucffool

Postby Admin » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:00 pm

The crosfit doctrine is that heels should stay on the floor knees should stay behind the toes to avoid excessive sheer force on the knees. Ross Enamait, on the other hand endorses the dand or hindu squat which is almost the opposite and he is a knowledgable dude so it is up to you to talk to your doc and listen to your body.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to fitness training