Simplefit.org • View topic - think you might be sensitive to a certain food?

think you might be sensitive to a certain food?

Natural Nutrition

Moderator: cheapo

think you might be sensitive to a certain food?

Postby NatureDoc » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:12 am

Here's a trick from one of my supervisors from school. He's an old school old school old school ND.

So...

Take your resting pulse (find your carotid artery or radial artery and count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4).

Eat a small amount of the food to which you think you might be sensitive. (Make it pure, so if you're testing cheese, just have cheese. Don't wanna confound the experiment!)

Wait 5-10 minutes.

Check your pulse again.

If you're mildly sensitive you'll see a 5-10 bpm increase. If you're seriously sensitive you'll see about a 20 bpm increase. Why? Your body percieves it as a stress, secretes epinephrine, and increases the heart rate.

It's then your perogative whether you choose to continue eating the food.

A little anecdote:
I always use Lent as a spring detox. So this year I gave up wheat, dairy, alcohol, and sugar. My favorite parts of detox are the pre-tox and re-tox. My first re-tox food on Easter Sunday was a Cinna-bon (not sure if you have these where you live, but its basically high sugar, high calorie (800 or so!!!), zero nutritional value, gooey cinnamon goodness and the stores are often located in subway stations, and you can smell them for blocks) that someone happened to bring to my apartment the previous evening. Man oh man! After ingesting part of said gooey cinnamon goodness my resting heart rate went from 78 to 99 bpm!!! My body was freaking out: full on palpitations, shifty vision, sweating.

Crazy stuff eh?
NatureDoc
Advanced Member

Postby aussiechick » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:52 am

Thats interesting, I've been meaning to try that for sometime now.

My uncle once had us doing a strength test where you put food in your mouth chew and test your strength, rinse mouth out, wait 5 mins and try next food. It was pretty immediate and I guess open to interpretation - I was very sceptical at first. Anyways we tried several foods and mangos and sugar both definetly made me much, much weeker. But our lovely australian Bundaberg Rum made me noticably stronger, and its made from cane sugar - go figure! Not really sure how accurate it really is but it was interesting. Any thoughts on this method?

Bec
aussiechick

Postby NatureDoc » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:20 am

Yeah, the phenomenon that you're talking about is something called muscle testing or applied kinesiology. We don't learn it in my core curriculum, but I took a weekend course on it, and I've worked for two Naturopathic Doctors who use it constantly to diagnose and treat their patients. The idea being that everything and everyone has its own energetic field and if we put one field next to another field (an offending food or substance close to a human), the fields might interfere, and this can manifest in a changed strength response. I think it is a neat tool because the patients can see for them selves that certain substances affect them. But from my experience with it, it's pretty subjective on the part of the practioner: pushing harder when they want or expect a certain response. So I'd take it with a grain of salt, but it cool to play around with.
NatureDoc
Advanced Member

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:47 pm

Here's a weird one: I dropped red meat from my diet once for a long time. One weekend I decided to splurge and ate steak (3 or 4 meals over the weekend - restaurant worker days!). I was laying on the floor the following Monday trying to stretch out the pain in my knees. Oprah was having a health food/allergy special. This kid was on the stage discussing all of the bizarre food allergies he had. The one he found to be the most devastating was to beef. "It causes me severe joint pain - particulary in my knees...." Needless to say I don't eat it very often - especially not without a good buffer.
volleyball_man

Postby NatureDoc » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:53 pm

yeah, red meat is a supa inflammatory food

arachidonic acid is the problem - it's proinflammatory mediator.

Fish oil shunts the inflammatory pathway to the anti-inflammatory side of things. Hoorah!!!

flax oil is ofted called and anti-inflammatory oil, but it doesn't convert well in the body to the anti-inflammatory prostaglandins especially under stress (most North america)
NatureDoc
Advanced Member

Return to Nutrition