Simplefit.org • View topic - Goodluckfox's log

Goodluckfox's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Postby taifun » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:21 pm

Very good!

"Never forget that the purpose for which a man lives is the improvement of the man himself, so that he may go out of this world having, in his great sphere or his small one, done some little good for his fellow creatures and labored a little to diminish the sin and sorrow that are in the world."
- William Gladstone
taifun

Postby volleyball_man » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:25 am

Good improvement!
volleyball_man

Postby goodluckfox » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:21 pm

Week 9
L2D1
25 rounds (up from 24, dropped to girl-style pushups halfway through, figuring that doing SOMETHING was better than giving up).

I can almost do a pullup. My pullup bar is only six and a half feet off the ground; if I reach up a few inches over my head, I can grab the pullup bar and do a pullup that way, but still not from a dead hang.
goodluckfox
Advanced Member

Postby taifun » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:12 pm

You're right, it's a lot better to just do something.

If it's any comfort, my pull-ups aren't from a dead hang either. Haven't actually tried that yet when I think about it...
taifun

Postby ucffool » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:39 pm

I'm outside, with what is probably a 7.5'-8' bar, so I can dead hang. I'm not there yet, but when I am, it will be from a dead hang.
ucffool

I did a pull up!

Postby goodluckfox » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:22 am

I've been busy with law school starting up again, and trying to finish a sailboat with my uncle before he dies (see my blog at http://goodluckfox.livejournal.com/459811.html ) so to make a long story short, I never did Day 2 or Day 3, and didn't run at all this past week.

I've spent Friday and Saturday all day at my Uncle's shop, working on this little boat. Even after pigging out on Mom's BBQ chicken and guzzling a few Cokes when I got home last night, I STILL found I'd lost 2 pounds, down to 198. (Maybe it was sweat? We'll see).

Anyway, As I regretfully walked under my pullup bar, and glanced at the unfinished week's chart stuck to my wall, I decided to just try and see where I'm at, pullup wise. I dropped to a dead hang, and pulllllled...

... and thought, "Holy shit, I'm gaining altitude!" Soon my chin was over the bar. I was dumbfounded.

I did it again just to make sure it was no fluke. From a dead hang, I was able to get my chin to touch the bar... close enough in my book!

Expect my D1 numbers to take a hit as I try to do all pullups tomorrow rather than the much easier body rows. Stay tuned.
goodluckfox
Advanced Member

Postby volleyball_man » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:25 am

Beautiful!

If I was there - I'd give ya a pat on the back.
volleyball_man

Postby taifun » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:45 am

Lovely! As I said elsewhere, rest is good for you.
taifun

Postby Admin » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:24 am

Great work! Isn't it funny how that happens I think we often over train, but the secret is to balance work and recovery. Recovery is just and important as work.

Congrats!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ucffool » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:23 pm

fantastic!!!
ucffool

Running Report

Postby goodluckfox » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:53 pm

3 miles/4 laps/5 kilometers : 41:31 (an improvement over 45:48 last time)
goodluckfox
Advanced Member

Postby goodluckfox » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:30 pm

W10 L2 D1

*copied from my blog, some of this is old news*

I have achieved a milestone: I can now do a Dead Hang Pullup.

Sometimes, I can even do a couple or three of them in a row. After that, however, I may need to kick with my legs a bit (I think they call it "kipping"). In any case, shazam!

I have been substituting body rows on a 3 to 1 basis for pullups. From now on, I'll be doing pullups in my workout, and on any rep where I fail to pull it off, I'll just change it to 3 body rows instead. Eventually, I'll fail less and less.

I felt so STRONG when I was doing my pushups with the pullup grips. I was reminded of what Simon Phoenix said in the awesome Sylvester Stallone movie "Demolition Man": "Goddamn! I'm possessed! I wonder if I can play the accordion?" It was like it was someone else's body doing the work and I was just along for the ride.

I did 20 reps in 20 minutes, which isn't that much less than I was doing when I was subbing the easier body rows for the harder pullups, and was doing the occasional girly pushup (as opposed to just giving up; I figured it was better to do SOMETHIGN than to give up).

And when I ran last night, I didn't mention this, but I managed to run for 5 minutes at a time on TWO seperate legs. It would ahve been 3, but I had to stop at the 3 minute mark... but I made it up the missing 2 minutes later.

When the light hits my flabby chest just right, it even makes it look like I've got some muscles. :)

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD, SON OF JARREL!!! *flexes*
goodluckfox
Advanced Member

Postby Admin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:07 pm

Nice work Zod!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby taifun » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:48 pm

Outstanding! You're on your way, Hercul.... Zod....whatever.

Oh, and a wise man once said: "Its ALWAYS better to do SOMETHING, rather than nothing"
taifun

Postby volleyball_man » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:24 am

:lol:

People see you running and they say "hey, look at him - he's the kind of guy who can do pullups...."

Nice hurdle over that brick wall my man!
volleyball_man

PreviousNext

Return to workouts