Simplefit.org • View topic - 10/1/07 workout

10/1/07 workout

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

10/1/07 workout

Postby Hosedragger » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:46 am

I have to rest my elbows. I can't grip & pull anything towards myself without pain, not even a coffee cup. :( So, I've decided to modify L4 so I'm not doing pullups and when my elbows heal, I'll repeat L4 subbing body rows at first and then gradually pullups.

Wk. 1, mod. L4D1, 31 rounds.

I subbed 6 jumping jacks for the 2 pullups, did everything else as rx'd. I was tempted to sub 10 jumping jacks, but I'm glad I didn't. This was a great metabolic workout. I easily maintained a heart-rate that was 85% or 90% of max. throughout.

I don't think jumping jacks would be appropriate for strength day or test day, however. They don't provide enough resistance, even if they do work the heart & lungs. I experimented with medicine ball stand-ups and light dumbell swings, but they hurt too, and not in a good way, so I'm open to suggestions.
Hosedragger
Advanced Member

Postby coreman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:45 pm

I had tennis elbow in one of my arms and it made shaking hands painful. I couldn't squeeze at all.

I tried to workout through it and it made it worse and delayed my recovery time.

I don't have an answer, but I would rest it as much as you can. I had to rest mine for about 6-8 weeks, and it still hurt.

I did find some exercises to stop it from happening, but I haven't done them. I do need to get on that so it doesn't happen again.
coreman

Postby Admin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:22 pm

it usually takes 6 weeks for it to go away be sure to ice it.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ucffool » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:47 pm

Sounds like you pushed a little hard...
ucffool

sore elbows

Postby DanB » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:03 am

Hi, I'm new to this community but very impressed with your site Kevin. Smart, no nonsense advice.

On the question of sore elbows from pull-ups, let me offer the following observation and advice. If you're doing palms-up pull-ups from a full hang, you're almost certainly going to irritate your elbows at some point. To prove this to yourself, do this: put your arms at 90 degrees in front of your face, palms in. Without any tension, allow your arms to lift over your head. What happens? Your arms start to rotate palms in. This is what they're designed to do. When you're holding a bar, they can't do that so the torque is taken in the elbows.

My advice: get a pull-up bar with parallel grip (palms facing each other). I also find pull-ups easier on my elbows when I allow my elbows to move outward at about a 45 degree angle. And one more thing: there's absolutely no advantage to a so-called full range of movement here. The real work of pull-ups happens at a 90 degree bend (the maximum moment arm for this exercise). All you need to do is move around this moment arm, from roughly 135 degrees to 45 degrees.

Just my two cents.

Dan
DanB

Postby Hosedragger » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:04 am

Thanks, Dan

Everything you've said makes sense. Unfortunately, even parallel grip hurts right now, so I guess I'll need to rest and work back into pullups slowly, using mostly a palms facing grip.

Does anyone know of a good sub for pullups other then body-rows? I've heard just trying to hold a hand-stand will strengthen the shoulders and upper back. Any thoughts?
Hosedragger
Advanced Member

Pull-up substitute

Postby DanB » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:06 am

A good substitute for pull-ups is flex band pulls. Monstermuscle has some heavy-duty continuous loop bands used by powerlifters. I loop one around a pole (you could also use your feet), loop my hands inside each end, and pull back like a row. Really works the lats if you get a band of sufficient resistance (don't confuse these with the usual sporting goods store variety; they're much more heavy duty). In fact, I find these kind of rows to work the lats more directly than pull-ups, though they don't work as much muscle as pull-ups.
DanB

Postby Admin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:35 pm

I have a link to iron woody they have good bands to

http://ironwoodyfitness.com/?a_aid=5333885a
Admin
Site Admin

bands

Postby DanB » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:32 am

Yup, that's what I had in mind.
DanB

Return to workouts