Simplefit.org • View topic - unintentional core workout

unintentional core workout

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

unintentional core workout

Postby scumdogg » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:10 am

This past weekend I think I had the best core workout I've ever had. It's Tuesday and my abs are still killing me. What was this fabulous workout you ask? What miraculous and inventive new technique would give me the core workout of a lifetime? The answer: shoveling pit-run.

For those not in the know, pit-run is a mix of sand, gravel and rocks up to double-fist in size. My in-laws and I had to spread 3 half-tandem loads of pit run along a camp trail to firm up the ground. This involved shoveling the stuff onto trailers and then dumping it and raking it smooth. Now I've shoveled top soil and sand before but never had the same core workout as this. I think that all the large rocks force you to keep your core tight longer as you try and work the shovel into the pile and pick up a shovel-full. the same for raking, you can't just drag the rake across it to smooth it, you have to sort of dig past the large stones to flatten it so your abs are flexed for minutes at a time.

So the next time you're looking for a killer core workout, reach for your shovel, phone up the gravel pit and have a load of pit-run delivered to your backyard :D
scumdogg

Postby splint » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:31 am

I should get a pile and just keep moving it around my backyard. My neigbors will think I'm nuts.
splint

Postby scumdogg » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:50 am

I've seen a couple of sites that advocate this type of workout - I think dragondoor is one. They say that moving the entire pile to another spot counts as one workout. I didn't, however, see anywhere in the article where they tell you how to deal with neighbours who think you're crazy :)
scumdogg

Return to fitness community