Simplefit.org • View topic - captain's log

captain's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

captain's log

Postby captain » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:50 am

First day 16 Oct 07. Day one level 4. 14 rounds in 20 minutes. Very hard. Used balance ball to ensure deep squats, did OHS with 12 lb bar.
Day two level 4. 8:15. used balance ball behind back and 12lb bar doing OHS.
Day three level 4. 11:07. Need to approach day three more logically. Started out too hard; finished like a whipped puppy. Hit it again Monday at level 4.
Last edited by captain on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
captain

Postby Bri3626 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:06 am

Welcome! and nice start!
Bri3626

Postby ucffool » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:13 pm

Welcome!
ucffool

day two week one

Postby captain » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:43 am

Thanks for welcoming me aboard. I used this public forum as motivation to get my *** to the gym today despite primo DOMS. After a quick warm up I was able to complete level four in 8:15. Putting this in the public eye has more strength than I would have expected.
captain

Log analysis

Postby captain » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:55 am

Like anyone new I have been reviewing some of the logs to determine likely rate of improvement, sticking point resolution, and whether or not supplemental exercise helps or hinders. One early note which is likely erroneous is that most folks do supplemental work and I wonder if this inhibits pull up progression. A second thread revolves around form. Many seem to go back to earlier levels to improve form. Any thoughts?
captain

Postby ucffool » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:10 pm

Bad form sorta cheats your out of the satisfaction, because there is another way to do the same thing which you can't do as well. Practicing good form not only reduces chance of injury and maximizes benefits, not using good form has negative implications, good form has only positive results.
My arms take a beating from simplefit, so I walk/jog/run afterwards which uses different muscles and each benefits the other (Day 1, endurance specifically).
ucffool

day 1 week 2

Postby captain » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:03 pm

Level 4: Today I did twenty rounds in 20 minutes. I was on travel so did not have balance ball or bar which made the squat transistion faster. Even so, I felt much stronger up to 17 or 18 when I was somewhat winded but continued to 20. I actually like the feeling of doing the squats free of weight. I have done weight lifting squats for years but never this deep and have always been concerned that my posterior chain was inadequate for the loads I was using. This body weight effort ought to help correct that.
captain

Postby captain » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:23 am

Wednesday did the five rounds at level four in approximately five minutes. Did not have an accurate method of keeping time-on travel. I do best on Monday after the longer recovery time.
captain

Postby captain » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:10 pm

For the longest time I did Dan Moore's Max stim routine where you managed fatigue. It is an excellent protocol using m-time rest between each rep to do exercises in numbers not multiples beyond what you could have done in the traditional set. It made me stronger but I lacked muscular endurance so I found crossfit and this site. Anyone having trouble doing more than one pull up or other exercise like hand stand push ups ought to take a look at MAXSTIM.com but I warn it will not help your muscular endurance or your recovery for days two and three which is what I am suffering through now. I am really good at day one but recovery for day two is nearly non existant and day three is dreaded. I could have started at a lower level for purely endurance but it would have lacked daily intensity. Maybe that is the point I am missing here is the effort a weekly one and the daily effort of little importance. In regard to MAXSTIM, SIMPLEFIT etc Neither execise routine is better they just get you to different places.
captain

Postby NR » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:32 pm

I too have been the "strongest" on my day 1s. I know this has something to do with some of my endurance stuff I have done for years. My biking, hiking, rowing, and running background suits day 1. My traditional high school sports experience played a role in this too I'm sure. Anyways, my day 2 and most definitely day 3 workouts with regards to performance have suffered because of my background. It amuses me now, how I thought I was strong going into SimpleFit (I had been doing Bodybuilding type workouts since before my teens) but I quickly realized I did not have a lot of true strength. SimpleFit is sure fixing this. SimpleFit has been great so far because even with my background my muscle/aerobic endurance I know has improved along with my strength. Goes to show what day 1 anaerobic exercise can do. Why did I use to separate cardio and strength exercises? Can someone slap me please!
NR

Postby captain » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:42 am

Saturday 27 Oct. I missed Friday, too tired after travel. Today did day three level 4 in 11 minutes.
captain

Postby captain » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:19 pm

week three day one level 4 21 rounds
captain

Postby captain » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:59 pm

has anyone ever did the day work out every day to improve endurance
captain

Postby ucffool » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:13 pm

You mean do Day 1 over and over?
ucffool

Postby captain » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:51 am

Actually that was the question but I found a thread where this was already asked and Kevin discussed the benefits of the three teir program.
captain

Next

Return to workouts