Simplefit.org • View topic - Homemade Sandbag

Homemade Sandbag

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Homemade Sandbag

Postby splint » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:27 pm

Hey everyone,

I decided to make my own sandbag. I mainly want it for shouldering drills and carries so I thought I'd err on the heavy side. I could have bought one but what fun is that. If I enjoy the drills, maybe I will end up buying one but whatever.

Supplies:
One box ziploc bags - 1 gallon capacity
Play Sand - I bought 3 bags but only used 2
Duct Tape - for sealing the bags
Rope - Brings the bag together, keeps bags from shifting, gives a place to grab.

One Bag - I had an old laundry bag from when I was in college.

I filled the ziploc bags about 3/4 full. Make sure you get as much air out as possible, then seal the bags and secure it with duct tape. I then double bagged the sand and secured the seal on the second bag with duct tape as well.

Here's my finished bag:

I ended up modifying my original plans. I added some old bed sheets to the laundry bag and I found some old pillow cases. I put a few of the small sand bags in each of the 5 pillow cases, tied the cases and then put those in the laundry bag. I also found an old army-surplus canvas utility cloth with eyelets that I decided to roll the laundry bag up within. Then I just tied it up with about 30 feet of nylon rope.

Total make time, about an hour and a half, mostly filling sandbags. Total weight about 80 pounds (78.6). It feels a lot heavier than a barbell that weighs 80 pounds, that's for sure. I used eleven 75% filled ziploc bags so that should give you some idea of how many bags to use for whatever weight you decide to make. I guess that figures about 7 pounds per ziploc bag. I've never used a sandbag but I like the feel of this. The sand is a little shifty, something I wanted to work the stabilizer muscles. It also drapes nicely over the shoulder and it's easy to lay on my back when doing push-ups (even though I can barely get 2 reps with it). Total cost depends on what you already have, mine was about $12 - $15.

Feel free to add this to the blog site if you want.
Last edited by splint on Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splint

Postby Admin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:25 pm

Very cool, I will thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby scumdogg » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:58 pm

I have got to make one of those! I also found some awesome sounding sandbag drills on the net as well (I can't remember the specific urls, I just Googled "sandbag training" and "sandbag workout").
scumdogg

Postby Admin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:28 pm

Do all your squats hugging a sandbag :)
Admin
Site Admin

Postby splint » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:49 pm

Yeah, I did a few squats today with the sandbag to practice. It's weird, sandbags just feel heavier than if I were doing squats with 80 pounds on a barbell. I guess it's because of the way the bag shifts around. It takes a lot more muscle to keep it in place.

I found this workout that looks like a killer, I'm going to try it one of these days. Check it out:

-Perform a complete Burpee with a sandbag placed directly in front of you
-Upon landing from the Burpee jump, immediately grab the sandbag
-Clean the bag to your shoulders, and press it overhead
-Perform a lunge with each leg while holding the bag overhead
-Drop the bag back to the floor and proceed with another Burpee
-Repeat the entire sequence without rest for 25 repetitions

That works every muscle in the body.
splint

Postby cdoubled05 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:35 pm

First of all, awesome job on the bag. I think I will have to make one of those pretty soon. That work out is something serious. Let us know if you get it done!
cdoubled05

Postby Admin » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:47 am

That reminds me I need to blog the sand bag stuff....
Admin
Site Admin

Postby splint » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:37 pm

Just an update to say I did the workout mentioned above today. My sandbag is a little less than 80 pounds.

Perform a complete Burpee with a sandbag placed directly in front of you

The weird things was that the first 5 reps were the most difficult. My sand bag is very shifty and being able to balance it correctly over my head took a few reps to master. Sometimes I had to clean the bag to my shoulders 3 or 4 times before I got a good balance to press it above my head. That was tiring. After I got about 10 reps in the final 15 were pretty smooth but I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot of sore muslces in unusual places. Holding 80 shifty pounds over your head while doing lunges will do that.

It took me 27 minutes to do the 25 reps. I was a little hesitant about going as fast as I could with thin being my first attempt. I didn't want to blow out a shoulder or knee.

Overall a good workout. I was sweating pretty hard.
splint

Postby splint » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:51 am

Perform a complete Burpee with a sandbag placed directly in front of you

I did this workout again today after L5D3, shaved a lot of time off it, 19:36. These sandbags are a weird workout. It gets easier after the first 10 reps. It must have something to do with your muscles learning how to get the bag up over your head and stabilize it. Probably a lot more work than getting a barbell up there.
splint

Re: Homemade Sandbag

Postby roomela » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:39 pm

What should I fill an 80 lbs polyester canvas punching bag with? Just bought an 80 lbs Everlast polyester canvas heavy bag. This was, unfortunately, the one that didn't come pre-filled with that special filler stuff. Is there a way that I can by that synthetic filler? If not, what should I fill it with? Thank you for your time in advance.

Return to fitness training