Simplefit.org • View topic - mixed grip pull ups

mixed grip pull ups

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

mixed grip pull ups

Postby piecomics » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:16 am

so I'm doing the body rows as a sub for pull ups since I can't do a single pull up. I will usually start with a round of negatives before the body rows though, even though I'm really bad at them, I figure this is how I'll get better.

One thing I noticed friday when doing L1D3, was that when I did a mixed grip negative I actually had quite a bit more power, I could stop my descent, and maybe climb an inch or two. This was only with a mixed grip pull up with my right palm facing me and my left facing away. when I switched, I lost it.

So are there positives training the mixed grip? or should I stick to just the regular pull up hand position?
piecomics

Postby splint » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:30 am

I know I'm stronger doing chin-ups (palms-facing). I think this is true for most people as the palms-facing grip in a chin-up is a more stable grip than the palms-away grip (pull-up) and the biceps are better able to help in the chin-up grip (palms-facing).

So, the fact that you are stronger with one arm using a chin-up grip is no surprise. The fact that you don't realize the same strength advantage when switching hands in that mixed grip indicates a lack of muscular balance. Either your left bicep isn't helping as much as your right bicep does or your right side back muscles are weaker than your left.

Mixed grip is a nice variation to include to help correct this imbalance. I haven't done so yet but I might. I currently include chin-ups in my D1 workouts where I switch to a chin-up grip, rather than a pull-up grip every 5th round. Maybe next time I'll switch off on mixed grips.
splint

Postby Bri3626 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:02 am

Hi,

I switch my grip constantly. When I'm doing long rounds such as level one I'll do the first set overhand, then underhand, then under/over, then over/under. Mainly I've been doing it to help keep count cause I lose it once I get rolling.

On D3 I usually change over after each set of five. This gives me a mild break while pulling and I only have to count each time I switch.

I've noticed a huge improvement in pullups since starting that but I can't kip for jack when I'm doing under/over or vice versa. throws my shoulder out for some reason.
Bri3626

Postby splint » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:57 pm

Bri3626 wrote:Hi,

I switch my grip constantly. When I'm doing long rounds such as level one I'll do the first set overhand, then underhand, then under/over, then over/under. Mainly I've been doing it to help keep count cause I lose it once I get rolling.

I did this today L6D1: 26 rounds. I feel it much more in my biceps than when I use pronated grip only. Thanks for the tip.
splint

Return to fitness training