Simplefit.org • View topic - Cleaning out the Fridge...

Cleaning out the Fridge...

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

Cleaning out the Fridge...

Postby firedepot » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:44 am

I found out today how much my diet has changed. I found 2 containers of crescent rolls and a can of biscuits in the fridge that expired in November and December. I can't remember the last time I had either of those foods.

Also, I have begun to slowly cull out the cupboard of starchy snacks. I don't eat them, but, I am trying to get the family healthier.

As for snacks, I am leaning towards fresh and dried fruit, jerky, and veggies.

It kinda sucks here, as far as apples go. I am an apple lover, but, I hate mealy-tasting apples. The only varieties I like are tart, crisp apples, such as Jonathan and McIntosh. We have a great orchard in my county, but, the damn frost last fall killed the entire crop. I would like to find a substitute apple, but, I'm having a tough go of it.

Any kid and family friendly tips?
firedepot
Advanced Member

Postby splint » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:34 am

Honeycrisp and Jazz apples (from New Zealand).

These are the main two I buy from the grocery store. I can't stand mealy apples either so I tend to shy away from Red Delicious and even supermarket McIntosh since they can be good fresh but are easily turned mealy.
splint

Postby firedepot » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:28 am

I don't think that I have ever seen Honeycrisp apples or Jazz apples in any grocery store in North Alabama. I checked online, and the Honeycrisp gets rave reviews.
firedepot
Advanced Member

Postby splint » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:19 am

Ooh, that's too bad, Honeycrisps are good. What about Cameos? They're a crisp apple.

I looked online and there's an orchard near Lake Ontario in Alabama that grows Honeycrisp apples. If you're ever near there maybe you can check them out.
splint

Postby ucffool » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:29 am

Honeycrisps are the BEST. They are found from Washington to Florida (confirmed in FL and CO). However, 2 years ago, they were around for maybe a month. As more orchards come of age, this year there were 3-4 months of them available, the last round being from Canada.
Regardless, you won't find them now, but come June/July, they will reappear. I even found them in Costco, and even more orchards will be online this summer. Find them, stalk them, buy lots of them... you won't regret it.
ucffool

Postby firedepot » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:23 pm

Found em!!!

Went to every grocery store in town, and finally found them, unadvertised and unpriced at Wal-Mart. There weren't a lot of them. In fact, they were not even in the checkout system. They were rung up as a different apple, so, I have no idea how much they really are. I have contacts in the produce dept. there, and I have someone reaching out to the boss to let me know when the next shipment gets there, so I can jump on it. :)
firedepot
Advanced Member

Postby splint » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:37 pm

ucffool wrote:Regardless, you won't find them now.

I just bought one at the grocery store here in the Northeast. They had a whole bunch of them from Washington.

I do remember a few summers ago when they got me hooked and then disappeared.
splint

Postby gwmccull » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:09 pm

I really enjoy Pink Lady apples too. I've seen the country of origin as USA and New Zealand.
gwmccull

Postby scumdogg » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:42 am

I like Braeburns - they're crisp, juicy and a little on the tart side. This time of year however it's kind of hit and miss as far as quality is concerned. I've been looking for Honeycrisps in my local grocery store but haven't had any luck so far.
scumdogg

Postby volleyball_man » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:44 pm

I have a bizarre allergy to apples - one bite = instant headache.
volleyball_man

Return to fitness community