THE DUMBBELL BEAR

Postby splint » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:13 pm

The Dumbbell Bear

Every minute on the minute for 20 minutes perform the following:

5 Dumbbell Deadlifts
5 Dumbbell Hang Cleans
5 Dumbbell Thrusters

Loading should equal 45% of bodyweight.

Has anyone tried this? I'm going to give it a go tomorrow morning.
splint

Wow

Postby splint » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:15 am

OK, like most of these complex crossfit-like workouts, this seemed possible when I looked at it on paper. 75% of 175 pounds is a little less than 80 so theoretically I should have used a pair of 40 pound dumbbells. I grabbed 35's just to be on the safe side. I could only do 4 rounds in four minutes with the 35's. I only had maybe 13 seconds rest after the 4th round. I dropped to 30's for the 5th round and went over the minute mark so I fell behind right there and completed 9 more rounds with the 30 pound DB's over the remaining 15 minutes and I was sweating profusely.

I think next time I try this, I'm going to have to grab 20 pound dumbbells in order to complete the 20 rounds in 20 minutes goal. I'll then move up in weight accordingly.

I highly recommend giving this workout a go.
splint

Postby splint » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:50 am

wow, sore today. that workout might be saved for a rest week or only when followed by a complete rest day.
splint

Postby scumdogg » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:48 am

Where do you find you're most sore? I'd think that because dumbells require a lot more stabilization you'd really feel it in your abs, especially the sides, and your serratus, but I could be wrong.
scumdogg

Postby splint » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:16 am

Well, I'm sore everywhere, lightly sore where deadlift muscles are concerned and the same on the deltoids. Mostly sore in the trapezius and rhomboid muscles of the upper back. That's probably from the power clean portion of the exercise. I don't do powercleans as often as I should.

But now that you mention it, my entire trunk is sore as well.
splint

Postby scumdogg » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:59 am

I'll have to add dumbell bears to my list of exercises to try. I did ring pushups for the first time last night and the outside of my triceps are killing me.
scumdogg

Postby splint » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:45 am

I've been using this workout a lot lately, especially when I'm pressed for time. At home, I use my 16kg kettlebell. Today I got to the gym early and had time to try it with dumbbells. I completed the portion with 30 pound dumbbells (barely) but I did it. My goal is to get to the 40lb dumbbells, that would be the 45% of bodyweight as Rx'd.
splint

Postby tkbslc » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:25 am

That looks brutal.

If you have any more good dumbell workouts like that, I'd love to see them.
tkbslc

Postby tkbslc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:41 pm

After my Day 1 workout today I tried a couple rounds of the dumbbell bear. I've never really done any of the exercises, but I could not get 1 round finished with 45% of my BW (2x45 dumbells). I was able to do a couple rounds with 2x30lb, but no way I'm getting 20 rounds.
tkbslc

Postby splint » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:29 pm

Lol, yeah, this workout is a lot harder than it looks. I should be using 40lb dumbbells to do it as Rx'd. I grabbed 35's the first time I tried it and I thought I was being on the safe side. I got 4 rounds into it and could barely breathe. I've been working my way up for the past several weeks and just barely finished the workout with 30lb bells. This is a tought workout. I dropped down to 2x20lbs dumbells the first time I was able to complete 20 rounds in 20 minutes.
splint

Postby tkbslc » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 am

Yeah, I was just trying it out for fun.

I've been going Mon-Wed-Fri for the simplefit, It seems like it would be tough to fit this one in the schedule very regularly.
tkbslc

Postby splint » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:39 am

I did this with 35 lbs dumbbells this morning. That was my original goal to do it as prescribed with 45% of bodyweight. Of course, now that I have put on some extra muscle in order to be able to finish using 35 lbs, I weigh closer to 180 so now I've got to work up to the 40 lbs dumbbells. It's like some kind of cruel joke.

But you can't argue with results, the first time I tried this exercise with 35 pounders, I only got through 4 rounds with them, today I did all 20.
splint

Postby riot » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:29 pm

Could you possible post descriptions of each exercise? Thanks.
riot

Postby splint » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:06 pm

riot wrote:Could you possible post descriptions of each exercise? Thanks.

Here's the link with video: The Dumbbell Bear

I don't think I can explain it any better than that or did you want my opinion of each exercise. The deadlift portion if fairly obvious and the easiest part for me since I do reps with 240 lbs. The power clean is a little unusual with dumbbells. It's not a hammer curl, you've got to focus on getting the weight up with you legs and back with that little jump, like you were doing a mini-olympic lift. You don't use your biceps much at all. Then the last portion is just a thruster, squatting with the dumbells on your shoulders then lifting the dumbbells up over your head at the top.
splint

Postby riot » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:56 pm

splint wrote:Here's the link with video: The Dumbbell Bear

I don't think I can explain it any better than that or did you want my opinion of each exercise. The deadlift portion if fairly obvious and the easiest part for me since I do reps with 240 lbs. The power clean is a little unusual with dumbbells. It's not a hammer curl, you've got to focus on getting the weight up with you legs and back with that little jump, like you were doing a mini-olympic lift. You don't use your biceps much at all. Then the last portion is just a thruster, squatting with the dumbells on your shoulders then lifting the dumbbells up over your head at the top.

Thanks. I just now noticed that you had the link in your original post. I figured that's how the deadline and thrusters worked, but I was unsure about the cleans.

Might have to get some dumbbells to try this.
riot

Next

Return to fitness training