Simplefit.org • View topic - Explosions...

Explosions...

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Explosions...

Postby Bujitsu » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:55 pm

Hello All. This is my first post, although I have been reading stuff on this site for a few months now. I had started doing the program about 6-8 months ago, but then I injured my shoulder and was forced to take some time off. (Oh, how I so hate injuries. It's not the pain that bothers me the most, it is the losing of the progress you had before. But, I will stop whining now.)

I have been a martial arts instructor for years, although I have taken the last couple of years off. I only mention that to explain that I have been involved in fitness, in one way or another.

I find that with most routines, I always tend to look for ways to change them and improve them for myself. Not major changes, just minor ones usually. I love SimpleFit. Truth is, I do not think a lot can be done to improve it. Yet, for myself, I did change it slightly. Here is what I did, and why. Please feel give me your opinions.

The only thing I thought I was missing after a SimpleFit workout was calf work. I was trying to figure out how I could add to the workout so my calves got more work, without taking away from everything else. Originally, all I was doing was going to my tip toes at the end of each squat. This worked, but it still did not give me quite what I was looking for.

What I came up with, for lack of a better term at the moment, I call 'explosions'. For each squat rep, I go down like normal, and then when I come up I get off the ground. Ok, I know, it is called jumping. But that just did not sound cool enough. You do not have to try to jump as high as you can, just get a bit off the ground. Try it out, I think you will find your legs getting and even deeper burn then before. I love it. But then again, I have always been a little wierd.

As another part of the challenge, I have started doing the same thing on the push-ups. I do not do a full clapping push-up. What I do is push just hard enough on the way up to get maybe an inch off the ground. I have found it gives the arms and shoulders just a bit more of a workout. (If that is what you are looking for).

So, please, let me know what you think. I apologize for the long-winded post. I am also a writer, and tend to like to ramble...

Thanks
Take Care,
Bujitsu
Bujitsu

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:57 am

Hi there!

Welcome back.

Sounds like the tail end of a burpee - the explosion from the squat thing. Maybe throw a few burpees or box jumps in?

IMHO - a good deep full squat works the calves. I liken the toe raise to the curl. That is - it's not a normal functional movement.
volleyball_man

Postby firedepot » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:09 am

I agree with VBM. Doing full range of movements like squats involves the calves. This is the beauty of Simplefit. The simple, compound exercises involve most, if not all of the muscles in your body. There is no need, in my opinion, to do target-specific exercises, such as calf raises. For example, if you want to work on your biceps, change your grip on pullups to an underhand grip. In conclusion, keep it simple. It's a heckuva lot easier to do, and to stick with. Good luck!
firedepot
Advanced Member

Postby Bujitsu » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:46 pm

Thanks. OK, First off, I was in no way trying to downplay the importance of the normal SimpleFit routine, or it's effectiveness. I would not be here, nor would I recommend it to my family, friends, and clients, if I did not believe in it and know it worked.

That being said...and I can only speak for myself on this one...but, doing full range body-weight squats just does not work my calves enough. Truth is, the day after a really tough workout I can usually feel it in my thighs...I have never felt it in my calves. That is, until I started doing the explosions. Add to that the fact that I also feel my thighs and everything else involved in the movement get a much better overall workout doing explosions.

I hope I did not step on anyones toes. I was only putting it on here as a recommendation for anyone out there who might be having the same problem as I was. It was a suggestion, nothing more. If your calves are feeling it from the regular version, and you are liking the results, then by all means, stay doing it that way.

Maybe it is the fact I have been involved with physical fitness for so long. Or because I tend to push things somewhat to the extreme. I have always liked taking things another step, or three. Plus, my legs have always been extremely strong and able to take a lot of punishment.

I also think it comes down to the fact that everyone is different, and can handle things differently when it comes to physical training. Notice I have written nothing about changing the pull-ups. Those are by far the hardest for me to do. Doing them the normal way works quite well, and most likely will work well for some time to come.

This was really only meant as a way to show a variation. I know I am not the only one out there looking for a slightly different way to do things that might help me get to my goals better. I guess I would just say, if you are looking for a slight change, give this a try and see what you think. If you like it, keep doing it. If it is not for you, that is fine as well.

Take Care, and good luck in your training.
Bujitsu
Bujitsu

Postby splint » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:35 pm

I've been 6 months here and I've never once heard someone tell me that my customizations were "wrong" and I don't expect you'll here it here either.

If you want to focus on the calves at the end of the squat, by all means, keep at it, and it's a good suggestion for someone who has similar goals.

I've never felt sore in the squats from the Simplefit routine, although I do after I perform Tabata Squats, but I've also not felt weak in the calf area either so it was never really a concern for me.
splint

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:50 pm

My toes weren't stepped on! (note the IMHO)

If they had been tho' it would have hurt bad with your powerful calves!!!
:lol:

Definitely tweak as you see "fit." Autonomy rules!
volleyball_man

I like it

Postby gwmccull » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:22 am

I like the idea of your explosions. I think I may start adding them in as well, especially on day 2. Lately I've been trying to pull up higher on my pullups and chinups. Currently at the top of my ROM, the bar is about 4-6" below my chin. I figure this will probably help with muscle ups, should I ever get to that point.
gwmccull

Postby ucffool » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:14 pm

've never felt sore in the squats from the Simplefit routine, although I do after I perform Tabata Squats

Oh the pain, the bad memories of the day I was stupid and tried that....
ucffool

Postby splint » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:18 pm

ucffool wrote:
I've never felt sore in the squats from the Simplefit routine, although I do after I perform Tabata Squats

Oh the pain, the bad memories of the day I was stupid and tried that....

I should revise that to say "I haven't felt majorly sore in the legs when doing the simplefit squats."

I can definitely feel it but I've been more sore before so I don't notice it. Like one time I got the flu and had to take two weeks of training. when I finally went back, I hit the squats like a mad man and couldn't even sit down to use the toilet the next 2 days. That sucked.

But if I feel like I need to expend a little more energy in the legs, I usually throw in a Tabata workout.
splint

Postby riot » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:35 pm

ucffool wrote:Oh the pain, the bad memories of the day I was stupid and tried that....

ditto...
riot

Postby savagecupcake » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:11 pm

I read about Tabatas a while back and decided to try them out. I described them to my husband, he seemed game, we went to a park and did sprints... holy @#$& it was hard. And THEN I mentioned to him that olympic level athletes sometimes puke after these workouts. He hasn't let me live that down just yet... any new regime I propose is met with "will it make me vomit?"

(he's loving SimpleFit, though... hooray!)
savagecupcake

Return to fitness training