Simplefit.org • View topic - davidmk's log

davidmk's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Postby cheapo » Thu May 08, 2008 3:22 pm

Day 3
(Of course if your D2 times are way over 5:00 and your D3 times well under, you might consider D2 as your benchmark...but that would be a rather unique case.)
cheapo

Postby davidmk » Fri May 09, 2008 6:02 am

Thanks, Cheapo.
davidmk

Postby splint » Mon May 12, 2008 11:36 am

I think it's been mentioned before as a user tweak but I mostly stopped paying attention to D2 times. On Day 2 I focused on strict form for all movements, kind of like a strength day. It kind of sets it apart and gives each day a specific focus.

D1: Endurance
D2: Strength/Form
D3: Speed

With this mindset, it helps to see why D3's are your benchmark and "test" days. All you're looking for is time. How fast can you do the workout? Did you swing on pull-ups, use a chin-up grip, cheat on some push-up reps and fail to go past parallel on some squat reps? Who cares? Strive to improve each time with the best form you can muster.
splint

Postby davidmk » Mon May 12, 2008 7:24 pm

L3D1- 23 rounds

Thanks, Splint. I like the idea of focusing on form. I will probably still time myself but also make sure I do not break form.

Do I really need a rest week? Will it make me stronger, improve my times, etc? Or is it just something that is okay to do if I feel like it?
davidmk

Postby splint » Tue May 13, 2008 8:26 am

It's always good to take a rest week every so often but determining when you need it is the X factor. Everyone is different. If you're feeling strong and ready for a workout, I wouldn't arbitrarily take a week off. I found that I could generally tell during my D1 workout if I needed to take some time off. Anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months I'd have a D1 workout where I felt just sapped of any strength. I'd often have sore shoulders or elbows and just feel pretty crappy. I'd generally just scrap my planned workout and do something lighter with some mobilty drills and stretches and finish up the week that way.

Just about every time I came back after a light week I'd set PRs.

You just need to listen to your body, if you're overly sore, or have sore joints, and not making progress take a light week.

Remember, our bodies grow and adapt during rest, not during the workout.
splint

Postby davidmk » Tue May 13, 2008 8:39 am

Thanks, Splint. That is some good info.
davidmk

Postby volleyball_man » Tue May 13, 2008 9:34 am

I have found that a good active rest week (do a scaled down workout or even something totally different) makes me come back stronger. The difference is definitely noticeable!
volleyball_man

Postby davidmk » Sun May 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Still on L3. I took a break last week and did a lot of yard work, a lot of walking the dogs, a little exercise.

D1 was 21 sets, down from 23 the week before. I was doing it before work and really wasn't ready but would not have been able to do it later so that is my excuse. Still not that bad, but disappointed to not beat the last number.

D2 I did not time.
D3 was yesterday, 5:11. Very close but I will do another week of L3.
davidmk

Postby Lloyd » Sun May 25, 2008 6:56 pm

Hi David! I'm right behind you, hoping to get to L3 in a few weeks. My L2D1 numbers are close to your, but you are blowing me away on day 3. For D1 do you have a strategy, or do you just go all out and see how far you get? I do a round every 45 sec for the first 4, then every minute. Next time I am going to try 8 rounds at 45 sec and see if I go up. It usually starts to fall apart near the end.

On D3 I have no strategy....yet.
Lloyd

Postby davidmk » Mon May 26, 2008 10:22 pm

Hey Lloyd,

I do not have a specific strategy of a set per so many seconds.

I just keep telling myself that it is only once a week I have to work this hard and it will be over soon enough and that I can rest afterwards instead of during.

Of course I do rest and there is no way to go non stop for me but I think I get more sets in early this way.

I do not count usually. If I am at home I use coins and if at the park I use pebbles and I make a pile and count when I am done. I guess counting would not be bad so if I was lagging behind like last week I would realize it before I was finished and could pick up the pace.
davidmk

Postby cheapo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:06 am

davidmk wrote:I do not have a specific strategy of a set per so many seconds.

I am on my 3rd week of L5 and I am trying to break 21 sets on D1. The first 2 weeks, I tried pacing myself with a countdown timer. Of course, for the first several sets, I had lots of time to rest between sets, but before too long I couldn't keep up the pace.

I thought I would try doing it without the countdown, and doing a set whenever I could. Result: exactly the same number of rounds!

Oh well.

I do find this, very helpful though:
davidmk wrote:I just keep telling myself that it is only once a week I have to work this hard and it will be over soon enough and that I can rest afterwards instead of during.

Great approach. Very motivating.
cheapo

Postby davidmk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:49 am

Hey Cheapo,
21 rounds of L5 is pretty darn good!

It is funny, because I was thinking about what I said and wondering if I should time and pace myself instead of not counting rounds or time of sets.

What I decided to do last week was to divide up the sets. I decided I wanted to get 25 sets so I made 5 piles of 5 coins. I knew I had to go through each pile in 4 minutes, moving a coin for each set. This way I was not timing each set but had benchmarks- and tracked myself at 16 min, 12 min, 8 min etc. I did the 25 sets and had 30 seconds left.

If you or anyone else tries this let me know how it works.

My L3D2 was focusing on form, I did not time this time.

My L3D3 yesterday was 5:02. I was sad when I looked at my watch, hoping to have moved up, but it is another L3 week for me coming up.
davidmk

Postby davidmk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:46 pm

Last week I did my L3D3 in 4:39 so I started L4 this week.
I did 15 rounds of L4D1 yesterday. I went slow because my hamstrings have been acting up.
davidmk

Postby davidmk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:48 pm

L4D3- 6:24
It's crazy how the second you finish you nearly collapse and can not imagine doing any more but you were just doing it a second ago. It shows how much is mental and reaching an endpoint.
davidmk

Postby davidmk » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:43 am

L4D3- 5:53. My D3 before this one was 7 min and something. I have not been on a 3 days/week schedule, so I have not done as many D3 as I should have. I will see how this week goes.
davidmk

Previous

Return to workouts