Simplefit.org • View topic - Burpees for Push-Ups

Burpees for Push-Ups

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Burpees for Push-Ups

Postby zorg » Sat May 24, 2008 7:11 am

I've considered doing burpees instead of push-ups one of these days, just for variety.

Is this a good idea? How many burpees should I do for each push-up?
zorg

Postby Admin » Sat May 24, 2008 7:37 am

Cool, variety is a good thing. As for the number trial and error with all this stuff you want to play close to the edge but not trash yourself so bad you cannot perform in the next round.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby splint » Sun May 25, 2008 10:13 am

Would you be keeping squats or considering the Burpee as a combo push-up/squat? Because the burpee has a squat in it.

I think it'd be cool but you'd need to experiment to find the right combo. If I could do like 24 rounds in 25 minutes, I'd want to be able to keep the # of rounds somewhat similar so I didn't lose out on intensity. For example, I think it would be bad if you went from 24 rounds normal, to like 8 subbing burpees. So add a number of Burpees that lets you keep to 15-20 rounds range and then you can adjust from there.

Just my opinion though.
splint

Postby zorg » Sun May 25, 2008 10:31 am

splint wrote:Would you be keeping squats or considering the Burpee as a combo push-up/squat? Because the burpee has a squat in it.

I'd do Burpees instead of Push-ups, but I'd keep the Squats. I guess this would be harder on endurance than the standard setup. I'm pretty certain that I need to do fewer Burpees than I would do Push-Ups, though. You're right, it doesn't make much sense to drastically reduce the number of rounds. I don't intend to.

I guess I'll have to experiment. It makes sense, as you say, to maybe do Burpees instead of Squats (rather than instead of Push-Ups...). Well, I have time till Tuesday to think about it.

Of course, it's also possible that I'm just feeling cocky: I tried my hand at the Barbara workout from crossfit this morning :) Even though I only managed two rounds, I feel rather good now, having tried it.

And thanks for your input!
zorg

Postby zorg » Tue May 27, 2008 7:59 am

So, for the record:

I just did L5D2. Instead of 15 Push-Ups, I did 10 Burpees. I managed to not increase my time too much; I went from 5:55 to 7:58. Though I have the suspicion that my first set included more than 5 pull-ups (I tried to kip, and forgot to count...).

It was doable, but pretty tough. The burpees cost a lot more endurance than I'd have suspected. Still, good experience. I think I'll do this more often.
zorg

Return to fitness training