Simplefit.org • View topic - Training on the road?

Training on the road?

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Training on the road?

Postby rahmed » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:34 am

Hi all,

I just started trying to get back in shape, and I'm faced with one immediate problem - I'm going to be on tour until the middle of the summer, leaving in less than a week. Almost all of the bodyweight stuff is very portable (i.e. just as portable as I am :D ) ; I imagine I'm not going to have any trouble fitting a workout into my days, but I have no idea how I'm going to do pull ups. Can anyone recommend a good portable solution? Does the door gym pack up small enough to not be a massive inconvenience? Also, I'm only in town for another 4 days, so ordering online is not really an option (unless there's a supplier that can have them to my door 3 days from now).

Help!

- Ry
rahmed

Postby volleyball_man » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:02 am

Search for parks/college/high school campuses that have pullup equipment. Look for good trees...

Could be a fun part of your progress!
volleyball_man

Postby splint » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:23 am

and improvise! Can't find a place to do pull-ups? Try back rows, tie a knot in the end of a towel and shut a door on it. get under a desk and grab the surface and pull yourself up.

Sub 3 times per # of pull-ups prescribed.
splint

Postby rahmed » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:42 pm

hrm, thanks! the more I think about it, it seems subs are the way to go - I'd rather be doing real pull ups, but it's better than nothing, right?
rahmed

Postby scumdogg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:25 pm

I just got back from a business trip and had to deal with the same problem. What I ended up doing was a modified crossfit type routine. I did 10 push ups, followed by 10 body weight squats, followed by walking lunges across my hotel room followed by 10 crunches and did this for 5 rounds. It must have worked because my legs were a little sore the next day (I think it was the walking lunges).

I was lucky that I was only gone for a few days so didn't feel too guilty about not being able to do pullups. If you're looking for a good substitute try taking a hotel bath towel, face the bathroom door edge-on, loop the towel around the handle, grab both ends of the towel and with your feet braced against the bottom of the door, let yourself slowly go back and start rowing. Make sure you you really bring your elbows back as you row (imagine you're trying to elbow someone who is behind you). I guarantee you'll feel it the next day :)
scumdogg

Return to fitness training