Simplefit.org • View topic - captain's log

captain's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Postby captain » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:52 am

level 5 day three 12 min 56 sec.
captain

Postby captain » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:06 am

Well I have had a productive period working mostly pull ups and running but have returned to SF to reintroduce body weight squats and pull ups. I began to think that my back was getting too sore because I was not working the opposing muscles. I re-entered at Level one last week and accomplished it. This week level two is on track for a successful hurdle. My plan is to try to hurdle each one in a single week and then add running at each end of the SF effort starting at level one and working up again. I think Murphy is now achievable by XMAS.
captain

An annual report

Postby captain » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:45 am

I have been doing this exercise routine with some variation and assistance work for nearly a year. I admit that I often did not keep this journal but have faithfully plod through the routines week after week. It is remarkable in its simpicity. I found myself wanting to tinker with it such as using day two to determine the best course of action to surpass day three five minute timing or skipping to another level because I knew I could do the pull ups despite the fact hat I really had not hurdled the lower level. At this point I want to say I came to the conclusion that a killer workout could be achieved at any level for day one. Day two and three merely told you what you instinctively already knew. That you could either do enough movements with strict form fast enough or you couldn't. Everyone enters the site wondering where to start after a year of gong back to the beginning twice to harvest the work I say the beginning, after all what can you lose by doing 50 or 60 rounds of day one level one, or doing perfect, slo-o-ow pullups for day two to indicate mastery. Hurdle day three and move up, it was only a week and you added a little depth to your endurance. I watch the P90X infomercial and always think that there is no program that I can follow religously for 12 weeks without something forcing me to adjust. I think my overall posture and spinal alignment has improved during this last year. Simplefit workouts were a little like traction in pulling me more erect. I have to admit this seemed more like pain at the time and I did not think my posture was that bad at the outset, but a year into it the results belie the belief and caused several periods where I had to adjust to continue. Over the course I lost nearly 35 pounds and have never looked stronger despite always being stronger than average. I kept saying I was doing this to move on to crossfit. I am not sure that I like all of the crossfit routines some of them require more coaching than I have available and crossfit has a dogma about it that is unattractive. Yet I still want to do a 40 minute Murph simply because I promised. So today I am back to level 5 for the third pass up to level eight. Each time through I have followed the program more strictly, the exercises with better form, and each pass has yeilded better results whether from repitition or the fact that I am doing them better the outcome improves over time. I have never been able to add a mile run before or after without ending up losing a week to recovery, this is only important for the Murph promise and has nothing to do with Simplefit. I am 58 years old and I look like someone placed an old head on a new body, so thank you Kevin. I especially admire your forebearance as each of us tackles this challenge and the assumptions built into the program. Wish me continued success but I will be here.
captain

Postby Admin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:21 am

That is fantastic! Your success is what motivates me to continue this site.

Thanks for the great feedback and congratulations on all your hard effort.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby captain » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:11 am

Has anybody ever discussed putting the hundredpushups.com regimen into the day two mix at each level until you pass the number needed for the SF test on day three. For instance you need 51 push ups at level 5. You would superimpose the 100pushup week 5 days two and three assuming you were able to hurdle SF level 4 without a pause during push ups. If not you would start at a level consistent with your max continuous push ups and work your way up to level 5. I would bet you would have a much better chance of passing the SF test.
A lot of questions seemto revolve on how to improve times at the higher levels. The jump between levels may be too great to easily meet the strength and endurance demands of the higher level. By superimposing the 100 pushup protocol and doing two day twos each week until you are ready for a test day in that you can actually do the required push ups without pause you might be able to see the progress needed to hurdle a level. Suplementary Tabatas are an option but they are suplementary and would eat into recovery. Thoughts?
captain

I have strayed

Postby captain » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:23 am

I have strayed a little from simplefit. I do day one level eight every couple weeks on a week end but am doing a day of front squats, a day of hanging cleans, and a day of weighted pull ups during the week combined with week end tabatas. I needed a change after nearly two years. In effect I have gone to weight lifting with full body movements combined with short duration HIIT. I have made all of my work outs except those walking the dog or carrying my golf clubs around a course of short duration but intense. Everything works for a while and nothing works for ever so this will be a good mix for the next twelve weeks.
captain

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:05 am

Sounds like a good mix!

I throw in a SF workout now and again too.
volleyball_man

Postby captain » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:51 am

Thanks. The only thing lacking is dead lifts but I can not add anything else until I adapt a little. I wanted to learn squat cleans but the move is so complex that I decided it would be more prudent to bust the movement up into two parts, add dead lifts later, get accostomed to the compnents and then re-engage for squat cleans. I also did not want to lose the pull up gains I had worked so hard to achieve so they got a day. Tabatas are for weight control.
captain

Postby captain » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:57 am

Well I have been away for awile doing stronlift workouts. They emphasize squats, deadlifts, presses and bench with progressive resistance to make you stronger. It was a good year but I gained too much fat and have been doing simplefit for the past two weeks to lose the gut.
captain

Postby Ruli » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:19 pm

welcome back captain!!
that is something i'm struggling with as well: my gut. i can see an improvement in my upper body as well as my general fitness, but man do i struggle my my stomach. i'm actually thinking of doing some sit-ups on muy off day to speed up progress in that department.
Ruli

Postby Tryhoster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:25 am

Ruli wrote:welcome back captain!!
that is something i'm struggling with as well: my gut. i can see an improvement in my upper body as well as my general fitness, but man do i struggle my my stomach. i'm actually thinking of doing some sit-ups on muy off day to speed up progress in that department.

Cardio Ruli, Cardio not Situps ;)
Tryhoster

Postby volleyball_man » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Strength in the gym - abs in the kitchen. Best torso work (IMO) is overhead squats and thrusters.

http://www.simplefit.org/phpbb/viewtopi ... 1992#11992

Was the diet that made my hard work visible.
volleyball_man

Postby Ruli » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:16 am

thanx for the advice guys!
Ruli

Previous

Return to workouts