Simplefit.org • View topic - Day 3 question: How long to rest within each exercise?

Day 3 question: How long to rest within each exercise?

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Day 3 question: How long to rest within each exercise?

Postby rmw621 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:28 pm

On Day 3 you're supposed to do each exercise "... as quickly as you can counting any rest time taken. Stay 1-2 repititions below failure, and do not train to failure."

My question has to do with how much rest I take before I return to each exercise. For instance, if I'm supposed to do 51 push ups, is it better to:
A) do 15, then rest for 1 minutes and do 10 more, etc.?
B) do 15, rest for 30 seconds and do 5 more, etc.?

In other words, is it better to take longer rests (recover more) and finish the set in larger chunks; or take shorter rests (recover less) and do the set in smaller pieces?

I hope that's not too confusing. Thanks.
rmw621

Postby volleyball_man » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:21 am

I played around with this a lot. Look in my log.

You have freedom of choice. If you can get more done at a faster pace by doing 1 every 10 seconds - then do it that way. Sometimes you might want to see if you can get more reps without failure. Just depends.
volleyball_man

Postby cheapo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:28 am

I seem to have better luck with max. reps every set.
I still wind up doing several sets of 1 or 2 near the end, but my time is considerably shorter.

On the other hand, if I can only manage 1 or 2 reps, I guess I am not 1 or 2 reps below failure. How critical is that, I wonder?
cheapo

Postby ucffool » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:38 am

I stepped down the reps and kept the break time consistent... 30-40 seconds. It really varies, day 3 is all about figuring out what works for you and using that, it's a test day for more than just time.
ucffool

Return to fitness training