Simplefit.org • View topic - Dumbbell Bench Press, sort of

Dumbbell Bench Press, sort of

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Dumbbell Bench Press, sort of

Postby zorg » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:23 am

Since I don't have a bench, I can't benchpress. I could buy one, but I don't have the space, and I'm not willing to go to a gym just to do bench presses (who am I? a bodybuilder?).

So I tried dumbbell benches, on my bed. On the whole, this worked pretty well. Obviously, the bed is softer than a bench and therefore less stable, so I won't be able to use larger weights (I went with 5x5, 12-12-14-12-12 kg, each side).

Are there any disadvantages aside from the weight limit? Are there possible dangers?
I'm thinking that doing these db benchpresses is better than nothing.

What are your thoughts? Thanks for any and all replies!
zorg

Postby volleyball_man » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:35 am

I've heard of guys doing only push presses as weight work for chest. I stay away from bench press. It really is not a functional movement. Anytime you are going to move something that heavy by pressing with your hands, you really use your legs to do the work.
volleyball_man

Postby zorg » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:05 am

Now you got me conflicted: Starting Strength recommends BP, volleyball man doesn't. Decisions, decisions.

So you think it would be more worthwile to do Push Presses?
zorg

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:59 am

Based on my reading, yes.

You have freedom of choice. I think Rippitoe says that BP is good for "chesticles."

I think the only workout from CF that includes BP is "Linda" and it is a RARE occurrence.
volleyball_man

Postby zorg » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:06 am

Thanks for your input.

I guess I'll do Push Press instead of straight Presses on one of my two weightlifting days, then.
zorg

Postby scumdogg » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:30 pm

I'm a little late joining the discussion but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in anyway. Why not try dips? If they're done while trying to lean forward (tuck your chin towards your chest) you should feel them hit your pecs. Dips are the upper body version of squats so you're working lots of different muscle groups, not just your chest. As you progress you can add some weight (hold a dumbell between your legs, or make a sling and hang some plates around your waist - I think VBM has a pic somewhere of such a contraption he made for pullups :) I know some people have said they use two chairs back to back for dips, but I use a pair of homemade sawhorses. This way I can also space them a little farther apart to get more focus on chest. Just don't go too far or too low or your shoulders will hate you forever.
scumdogg

Postby zorg » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:45 am

That's a good idea. I might look into building dip station, it's not that hard.
zorg

Postby scumdogg » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:31 am

I once saw a picture of a bodybuilder who claimed that dips were the only chest work he did. I'm not sure if that was true, but if it was, it was impressive. Good luck!
scumdogg

Postby DarkEye » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:58 pm

its better to do dumbell press on a stable bench than on bed.
when it comes to dumbell press its all about balance if you dont have the balance it wont effect the right area.
so jut get a small home made bench and do the workout. or do some push ups.
DarkEye

Postby zorg » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:38 pm

DarkEye wrote:its better to do dumbell press on a stable bench than on bed.
when it comes to dumbell press its all about balance if you dont have the balance it wont effect the right area.
so jut get a small home made bench and do the workout. or do some push ups.

It's been a few days since I started this thread ;)

I've been making do with Presses and Push Presses, and I'm OK with my results. I'll still add a bench at X-Mas this year.
zorg

Return to fitness training