• View topic - free standing pull up bar

free standing pull up bar

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

Postby eche » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:56 pm

Hello all,

I have a question regarding a free standing pull up bar offered by Has anyone had any experience with this product? I'll admit it doesn't look rock solid but then again I am only about 140lbs and don't plan on using it for kips, just straight up pulls. I have seen more stable looking pieces but they usually go for ~$400 or more. Not interested in power towers I don't have much space and never really liked doing pulls on the bar which is usually mounted on the same side as the dipping station. The adjustable free standing bar would allow me to use rings for bodyweight rows and dips. Before you post it...............I have alread tried door mounted bars like iron gym and did not like it d/t feeling restricted. also I am unable to drill anything anywhere in this rental unit (gotta follow the rules). I am renting in an association with no places outside to speak of to improvise and use as a pull up system. I jsut want to be able to workout in the privacy of my garage w/o putting on a show for the neighbors.
please reply to this post If you know anything about this product , or if you know of any other free standing unit that will not break the bank.
thanks for taking the time to respond to this inquiry,

Postby Johnnysoko » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:06 pm

I started doing Simplefit a few years back and I still lurk here every couple of weeks. I had to come out of the shadows to answer this. I have this pull up bar and it works really well.
Because of the fact that it goes together with no tools in 30 seconds (really!) it does have some slight play to it. It won't work for kipping or any kind of swinging movement. For regular straight chins, pull ups, hanging ab work, etc. it works great. I also do ring push ups on it. As long as your pushing down and not out your fine. (I hope that makes sense.)
I've had no problems using it and I started at 259 lbs.
Also, customer service is excellent. The gentleman who runs the site had my unit to me in good time, less than a week. When I received it, Fed Ex had mangled the box and lost the actual pull up bar part. We contacted him and I got a replacement free in 3 days!! A+ service.

I know this sounds like an ad but I assure you I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Postby eche » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:18 pm

Thanks Johnny,

I was beginning to wonder if I would get any feedback. I appreciate your comments as it has helped me finalize my decision. I did run across another free standing apparatus at which is over in europe. A little less expensive for the unit, but shipping takes a few weeks and runs a little over $100 so in the end it works out to be about the same. It is interesting looking, one feature I liked were the positioning of the dip handles on that unit as opposed to the ones on the all in one bar. I plan on getting a set of rings as well so it really doesn't matter in the long run.
Again thanks for the reply.

Postby volleyball_man » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:40 am

I built my own. My standing reach is 8'5" any commercial systems are too short!

Postby eche » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:33 am

Hey Volley_ball man,

Now that would definitely solve my dilemma. Hmmmmm, If I could just convince my wife to never use the garage.........................................

Return to fitness community