Simplefit.org • View topic - Braisler's Log

Braisler's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Braisler's Log

Postby braisler » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:25 am

I like the simplicity of this plan, so I thought I'd give a try.

I know that I can't do regular pull-ups, so I made some substitutions.

Week 1

Friday, March 27, 2009

D1L1: 55 rounds.

My pull-up substitution was as follows. For the first 30 rounds, I did an assisted pull-up with unassisted negative. That is, I used a foot peg to help lift my bodyweight up to my chin above the bar. Then I eased myself back down with full body weight. As my form started to slip in the negative, I switched to hanging a towel over the bar and doing a slanted body-row. That was what I used for the remaining 25 sets.

In retrospect, I might have started at a higher level. I figured that since I wasn't doing true pull-ups anyway, I might as well start low. I also didn't want to work so hard that I blow up and can't continue with the program for the next week or more.

I'll finish out week 1 at Level 1, then see where I go from there.

Oh, and my current stats to keep myself motivated:

35 yo, 265 lbs, 6'4"
braisler

Postby volleyball_man » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:46 pm

Welcome!

Be careful about using the negatives as an exclusive sub - you'll hurt your elbows!!! Put body rows in the mix!
volleyball_man

Postby Admin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:47 pm

Right on vbm
Admin
Site Admin

Risk of negatives

Postby braisler » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Ok, I'll bite. What is the risk of doing negatives? Hyperextension of the elbow if you are not in control? Or something else that I haven't thought of.

I read the intro that recommended negatives as one method of substitution. And I know from weight lifting that more work/growth is done in the negative phase of the exercise. Does that principle not apply here?

It was my hope that by doing negatives more than body rows I might improve sooner to the level of doing regular pull-ups.

Thanks in advance.
braisler

Postby volleyball_man » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:23 am

The "good" thing about negatives is also a bad thing. Doing them allows you to work past your normal capacity. A move like pullups can be really tough on the elbows anyway - negatives are just something you should moderate. Maybe on D2 only. use the body rows sub. Get an elastic (pallet) band to reduce the load on reg pullups.
volleyball_man

Postby braisler » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:57 am

Still a good bit of soreness from D1. Pushup and squats weren't too much for me, but the pullups were something that I hadn't even attempted in a while.

L1D2 = 2:58

I'll finish out the rest of Week 1 at Level 1, but I think I'll move at least to level 2 next week.

And, as vbm suggests, I'll need to work out some additional subs for pullups. I definitely want to get to the point where I can do unassisted pullups for the workouts, but not at the risk of injury that keeps me from doing the workouts altogether.
braisler

Postby volleyball_man » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:04 pm

Keep that attitude!!
volleyball_man

Return to workouts