Simplefit.org • View topic - orly's log

orly's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

orly's log

Postby orly » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:32 pm

I'm trying out the Simplefit running program. You can take a look here. I started Week 5 today, which was a major jump from Week 4. Doing 4 rounds was tough, but moreover, the idea of doing those 4 rounds again tomorrow is daunting.

But so far the program has been great; it's much more fun to sprint than to jog!
orly

Postby orly » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Week 5, Day 2

The hottest day of the summer, a great day for a run! Going without a rest day was easier than I thought. I think I should start measuring distances.

Rest tomorrow, then back to work on Thursday.
orly

Postby DonQuijote » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:48 pm

Good work Orly.

I'm quite keen on trying the running programme so I'll be interested to see how you get on!
DonQuijote
Advanced Member

Postby orly » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:54 am

Time for an update.

I'm working at a summer camp, and the kiddies leave tomorrow, so things are getting a little crazy. I've managed to find time for workouts but my diet has become pretty horrible. It'll get better when I'm away from the pizza and ice cream and what-have-you that define the end of camp.

Rested on Wednesday and missed Thursday.

Friday was a nice workout. It's still very hot, and I need to remember to drink water all day, especially when I plan to run.

Ran again on Saturday and felt slow. I wonder if I'm going the same speed but just not feeling the same rush and tiredness. In a week or two I'll be able to run on a track and measure distances.

Felt about the same on Sunday. Unfortunately, my routine here forces me to run about an hour after lunch. I hope to change that in a week or so.

Resting today.

Generally, I love this workout because it's scaled by effort. I still feel good about a "slow day" as long as I put in that 9-10 intensity.

The transition to 4 rounds/4 days is still a little tough. I think I need to improve my warmup routine; at the moment, I jog for a few minutes and do some simple stretches I learned as a kid.
orly

Postby orly » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:34 pm

A week later, I'm back home in Philly!

Tuesday, Wednesday: No workout, as I'd planned. I got less than 3 hours of sleep Monday night and did only marginally better Tuesday night. I got a nice rest Wednesday night, but...

Thursday: Woke up late and was lazy. This was my first time missing a workout "just because." I'm disappointed in myself, but I know that the story doesn't end here.

Friday: My third day hanging out in Boston, I did some nice running around Medford. I experimented by doing the 9/10-minute on a basketball court rather than a long stretch of road. It was much more difficult! I'll keep this in mind when I'm craving a tougher workout.

This was my first time working out on road/concrete instead of grass. It's a much different feeling. For now, I'm switching off between fields and roads.

Saturday: A nice run in the park.

Sunday: Again. It didn't occur to me until now that this was my third workout in as many days. Am I fit enough that I didn't notice, or am I not pushing myself enough? I'll up the intensity a bit on Tuesday and see what happens.

Monday: Played an hour and half of lightish tennis with the family. As with soccer, it's so much more fun to play when you can really run.

I'm looking forward to another full workout tomorrow.

A progress assessment
: When I started the program in mid-July, I weighed 210 lbs at about 5'10". I now weigh 205 (regrettably, I have not gotten any taller). I look noticeably, but not dramatically, different. Most importantly, I feel much healthier, energetic, and confident. I'm very happy with all of this! (This isn't -- yet -- a food log, but it's worth noting that I have been eating camp food and junk for these past 8 weeks.)
orly

Postby prometheus » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:15 pm

Awesome progress! I know there's nothing as satisfying as seeing results for all your hard work, weather it be numbers on a scale, a better reflection in the mirror or just feeling generally fitter. Whatever you're doing it's working!
It's good to be able to fit exercise into your schedule in a fun way like with sports, as opposed to it feeling like work all the time; I think you're more likely to keep it up that way.
prometheus

Postby orly » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:35 pm

Tuesday: Woke up with a lot of stiffness and aches. They lasted into late morning and I decided to rest. I guess tennis wasn't as light as I thought.

Wednesday: Nice run this morning. Most of my sprints were uphill, which put a lot of strain on my right ankle. I won't do this again for a bit, but it was very fun and tiring.

Thanks for the encouragement, prometheus. Maybe more tennis tomorrow, and singles, no less!
orly

Postby DonQuijote » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:20 pm

orly wrote:Tuesday: Woke up with a lot of stiffness and aches. They lasted into late morning and I decided to rest. I guess tennis wasn't as light as I thought.

Yup, know that feeling all too well! I'm playing tennis this weekend and I know that's how I'm going to feel the next day.
DonQuijote
Advanced Member

Postby orly » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:53 am

Nearly a month and half has gone by since I last wrote in here. I can't provide a strict chronology, but at the beginning of September I moved back to Baltimore and continued the sprinting, albeit a little less regularly. After a few weeks, I was feeling pretty good and decided that I should try a more traditional 3-mile run. It went great, and I did a few more the following week.

My problem was that these runs are really draining and feel like a longer commitment than sprinting in the back alley. Their frequency and speed fell off, and yesterday was my first run in a few weeks. I'm planning to get back on sprinting plan this week and see how it goes.
orly

Return to workouts