• View topic - Is heightened cholesterol a concern?

Is heightened cholesterol a concern?

Natural Nutrition

Moderator: cheapo

Is heightened cholesterol a concern?

Postby av » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:50 am

Considering that the diet recommendations include a number of eggs and red meat, does someone following these run a risk of heart disease due to heightened cholesterol?

Postby Admin » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:14 am

My experience has been this, since using fruit and vegetables as my source for carbohydrates I have seen my blood work improve even though I have been eating more eggs and beef.

You do not need to eat eggs and beef you can eat chicken breasts and tuna that is fine. I would suggest you get blood work done before changing your diet if that is a concern and re check in a month.

If you are going to eat beef and eggs I suggest you pay close attention to the carbs you eat. Also grass fed beef and grain fed beef have very different fat content and the fat itself is different. Grass fed beef has allot more omega 3 fats and other good stuff see links below , same of course for omega 3 eggs.

Based on personal experience and what I have read eliminating refined carbohydrates and processed foods from my diet is my primary concern.

Rob Wolf of the performance menu
"In general dietary cholesterol is not a determinant of blood cholesterol levels. Carbohydrate, particularly when it spikes insulin will raise LDL, decrease HDL and increases triglycerides. Triglyceride level is BTW, THE indicator of insulin sensitivity. Oral glucose tolerance tests are a waste of time. High triglycerides mean insulin resistance."

Effects of moderate variations in macronutrient composition on weight loss and reduction in cardiovascular disease risk in obese, insulin-resistant adults. ... s=17023708

Glycemic index and obesity. ... s=12081852

Increased consumption of refined carbohydrates and the epidemic of type 2 diabetes in the United States: an ecologic assessment1,2,3

Controlling hyperglycemia as an adjunct to cancer therapy ... med_docsum

Intake of refined carbohydrates and whole grain foods in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus and coronary heart disease. ... t=Abstract

Carbs may explain ethnic variations in cholesterol ... STEROL.xml

I am not a doctor so speak with your physician.
Site Admin

Return to Nutrition