Simplefit.org • View topic - All Noob Question Goes Here @@ Frequently asked questions

All Noob Question Goes Here @@ Frequently asked questions

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

All Noob Question Goes Here @@ Frequently asked questions

Postby Uber » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:09 pm

Frequently asked questions
Day 1 (endurance) - "as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes:"
1 pull-up
2 push-ups
3 squat
Do 1 pull-up, then 2 push-ups, then 3 squats; that is 1 round. Complete as many rounds a possible in 20 minutes.

(1)Question: Does each round need rest time? If needed , how many second would be recommend ?
(1)Answer:You'll have to rest as well unless you're in incredible condition. Regarding time, this all depends on the level, and on your strategy as well

Day 2 (strength) - "5 rounds for time:"
2 pull-ups
6 push-ups
10 squats
Do 2 pull-ups, then 6 push-ups, and finally 10 squats to complete one round. See how quickly you can complete each of the 5 rounds, resting approximately 3 minutes between each round. Do not count the rest time in your total time.

(2)Question: Ok , i do 5 complete round with 3 minutes rest between each round . How much time is needed to complete 5 round? Or it just depend on us how long we take time to finish it?
(2)Answer:Don't look at the clock at all but focus 100% on form on D2

Day 3 (judgement) - "for time:"
10 pull-ups
21 push-ups
21 squats
Do 10 pull-ups, then 21 push-ups, then 21 squats as quickly as you can counting any rest time taken. Stay 1-2 repititions below failure, and do not train to failure.

(3)Question: I do 10 pull-ups , rest 60second . Then 21 push-ups , rest 60second . finally 21 squats , finish . What if i cant do 10 pull-ups? Should i reduce it? Or i just rest and then try to get until 10 pull-ups?
(3)Answer: Rest only as needed and do only one round. D3 is test day. If you do it under 5 mins then you move up a level. If you think you should be up even higher than that, then test the level you think you should be at with its D3. If D3 is over 30 mins - then drop down.You're not required to do 10 pullups in one go. You could start with 2 pullups, rest a bit, do two more, rest , then one etc ... Of course the rest time is taken into account.

Thanks to Norman for the answer :) i hope this topic can also help solve common question ask by other beginner like me :)
Last edited by Uber on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Uber

Postby Norman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:28 am

Hi Uber, welcome !

(1)Question: Does each round need rest time? If needed , how many second would be recommend ?

I've found that, yes, I need to rest during the 20 minutes. You'll have to rest as well unless you're in incredible condition. Regarding time, this all depends on the level, and on your strategy as well : you could just go for it without watching the clock, OR decide on a number of rounds you aim to do and calculate a specific amount of rest. Say, if you want to do 20 rounds, do your round then wait for the end of the minute or something before starting another round.

(2)Question: Ok , i do 5 complete round with 3 minutes rest between each round . How much time is needed to complete 5 round? Or it just depend on us how long we take time to finish it?

Sorry I don't understand. You just time the actual workout time, not the pauses. Then you add the 5 different times to get the total.

(3)Question: I do 10 pull-ups , rest 60second . Then 21 push-ups , rest 60second . Finally 21 squats , rest 60 second , finish . What if i cant do 10 pull-ups? Should i reduce it? Or i just rest and then try to get until 10 pull-ups?

Hey, don't count the rest after the squats :) After the squats you're done and you can rest all you want. Or collapse on the floor like I do sometimes.
Your question : you can't do 10 pullups. Do them in 2s or even 1s, rest as needed in between ( hence the time limit ). You could substitute with another exercise in the beginning.

Hope this helps !
Norman

Postby Uber » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:30 am

Hey Norman , nice to meet you. :D
About my question(2) , what i mean is
Day 2 (strength) - "5 rounds for time:" , do i need to complete 5 round in specific time ? or just depend on me ?
And about question(3) , >>Your question : you can't do 10 pullups. [b]Do them in 2s or even 1s[/b], rest as needed in between ( hence the time limit ). You could substitute with another exercise in the beginning. << What you mean by 2s/1s ?

I going to start this routine next Monday :) i will post my latest picture time by time . Hope it's work for me !
Uber

Postby Norman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi !

2)
the workout explanation does not give a specific time for D2. I just try to beat my personal best each time I do a D2 + I use strict pullups.

Other simplefitters don't look at the clock at all but focus 100% on form on D2.

3)
You're not required to do 10 pullups in one go. You could start with 2 pullups, rest a bit, do two more, rest , then one etc ... Of course the rest time is taken into account.

Hope this helps !
Norman

Postby Uber » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanks Norman. :) I get the idea already ! Have a nice day~
Anyway ,
(A)If D1 i choose LV 2 , D2 i choose LV3 , D3 i choose LV 1, would it possible? Or if LV 1, D1D2D3 should also all same LV ?
(B)If i use sub for regular pullups , according to the simplefit , generally 3 subs = 1 regular pull-up . So in D1 20minute , should i increase the time because i use sub? 3sub = 1 regular .I personally think the 20minute maybe only included regular pullup but not consider for sub pullup.
Uber

Postby Norman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:19 am

Regarding question 2) answer in your FAQ, that's just one way of doing it. It's an evolution by simplefitters who thought an always present time limit would impact form and decided to work specifically on form on D2.
The 'real' D2 description is here : http://www.simplefit.org/details.html

(A)If D1 i choose LV 2 , D2 i choose LV3 , D3 i choose LV 1, would it possible? Or if LV 1, D1D2D3 should also all same LV ?

hmm, start a level and finish it I'd say.

(B)If i use sub for regular pullups , according to the simplefit , generally 3 subs = 1 regular pull-up . So in D1 20minute , should i increase the time because i use sub? 3sub = 1 regular .I personally think the 20minute maybe only included regular pullup but not consider for sub pullup.

I'd keep the 20 minutes rule but do 3 subs for 1 regular. So for L1D3, it would be 30 subs, 21 push-ups, 21 squats. I'm not sure, maybe others who used this form can confirm ?

Don't worry, when you start working out everything will be clearer. Use the descriptions as a guide, and find whatever works for you !
Norman

Noob Pull Up Substituition Clarification

Postby Indy5000 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:04 pm

I think I have a pretty good handle on the SimpleFit process but would like to make sure I have the Pull Up substition sorted out. Using Level 1 as an example. If I'm substiting body rows for pull ups then on
Day 1 I would do the following:
3 Body Rows
2 Push Ups
3 Squats
Max Rounds in 20 Minutes

Day 2 would look like this:
6 Body Rows
6 Push Ups
10 Squats
5 rounds for time (or perfect form)

Day 3 would look like this:
30 Body Rows
21 Push Ups
21 Squats
For Time

Am I on the right track? I started the body rows by throwing a towel over a low slung branch on a tree which allows me to start at about a 40 degree angle and pull up to the branch. This gives me a full contraction on the arm almost like doing a curl with a dumpbell.

When I can meet the 5 minute time on Level 3 do I move up to the next level if I'm still doing some are all the pull ups with substitions? I don't really care one way or the other. I want to be fit not chase the levels.

Thanks for the help. This site is a great resource.
Indy5000

Postby Norman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:46 am

Hi Indy500,

sorry I never used subs myself. Maybe you use them until you can do strict pullups ? I don't know.

But the way you described your understanding sounds correct to me.

Have fun !
Norman

Postby Ruli » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:18 pm

as far as my understanding goes, you can lvl up doing subs. it's a personal choice though.
Ruli

Postby supernova » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:07 pm

pullups are hopeless for me at the moment my body weight is too much.

i also wonder if Body Rows would be a good sub, one would think that the same muscle groups would be used.

I believe squat cages can be used?

anyone know a good home (storable) product that can be used for Body Rows?

I saw three pieces of metal advertised for £200 which is ridiculous
supernova

Return to fitness training