Simplefit.org • View topic - Joy3k's log

Joy3k's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Joy3k's log

Postby Joy3k » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Hey everyone,

I started simplefit I think.. in november last year and worked up to level 3 but I fell into laziness for about 3 weeks in december. So my only 2010 resolution is to workout consistently, intensely and have fun doing it! And I started again this week at lvl 3.

L3D1 : 21 rounds
L3D2 : 14 min 15 sec. which is a bit longer than it used to be but 3 weeks off will do that to you I guess!
L3D3 : 5 min 17 sec., although my last pull-up and push-up -were- in bad form. I wouldn't have started lvl 4 if I'd have been under the 5 min mark because of that!

And I hope this program can help me gain muscle mass/weight, (yeah I'm the opposite of the fat loss masses ; I'm the bastard that can't gain weight if he wanted to :) ) right now I'm at ..126 pounds and 5' 5", aiming for anything between 135-140 ideally! I lifted dumbbells at home for 2 years on and off now but I love bodyweight exercises for their "natural" feeling and how I can do some anywhere I go, with no equipment! And simplefit is a great way to start exploring the bodyweight exercises "world".

I'm also starting some abs and adding legs work in my simplefit off days (I really need the abs work, they're not strong at all). Do you think that would slow down my progress?

Well that's quite enough for a first post :lol: love the feeling of community and support I felt just reading your posts before btw, keep it up! :)
Joy3k

Postby Ruli » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:26 pm

welcome back joy.
yes, i know that laziness feeling - i've gotta go do D3 now and i'm struggling to get myself motivated!!!
Ruli

Postby scumdogg » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:28 pm

Hi joy3k. Not sure how much mass you're looking to gain. If you want a sleek, muscular physique like a gymnast, then simplefit will definitely get you there. If you're looking to get bigger than that, then you'll have to go another route, like stronglifts 5x5 http://www.stronglifts.com . Check out the forum as there are lots of hardgainers there with lots of good advice (almost as good as this forum). If you're very slim and have a hard time gaining weight read up on GOMAD at stronglifts. If you have any questions just message me. Good luck!
scumdogg

Postby austin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:30 pm

For size and power, I'd say go with Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. It's much more in depth and, in my opinion, better altogether. http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/ ... ength_Wiki
austin

Postby Joy3k » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the advice!

As for my goals, honestly the gaining weight part was more or less the result of always being the smallest kid around, and since the way I measured my progress before was with my weight, I kinda automatically wanted to go on this way.

Now if I think about it, I'm tempted to say my goal now would be to be strong, fit, and have endurance, for sports, moving heavy objects, etc. and bring myself to be my best in those categories. Basically "practical" strength. I think if I do that, the remaining 10ish pounds of muscle will come, and I mean let's face it, I never had a naturally built physique, so if I compare myself with athletes all the time I'll never be happy with what I have and can realistically achieve :roll:
Joy3k

Postby Joy3k » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Just finished L3D1 - 24 rounds this time, would've liked to get 25 but failed the last pull-up :x still proud cause I'm just coming home from a 7 AM-8 PM day full of classes and work! I'll break that 25 limit next week anyways :)
Joy3k

Postby scumdogg » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:03 am

Hey joy, then it sounds like simplefit and eventually crossfit are what you're looking for. Many people here have used simplefit as a springboard into crossfit (myself included) and crossfit will give you exactly what you want: muscular physique, endurance, and functional strength.

Once you've gone as far as you can with simplefit I'd suggest checking out the Brand-X forums (http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewforum/16/). They post scaled down workouts of the day that ease you into full-blown crossfit.

Also, don't make comparing yourself to other athletes a negative thing, telling yourself that you'll never be able to achieve what they have, instead use it as inspiration. Remember that a lot of these guys started out just like us and through hard work and consistency they've achieved their goals. VBM and cheapo are great examples on this forum or what consistent hard work will get you.

http://simplefit.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=233&start=75
http://simplefit.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=928&start=75

Stick with it and stay motivated! You may surprise yourself with what you can "realistically achieve".
scumdogg

Postby Joy3k » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:35 am

The thing is, when I first started working out, I really obsessed over it, pushing myself really hard by sheer pride, which is personally a great way to motivate myself but after a few months of telling yourself you're not good enough and need to push yourself further, it's getting tiring. That's why I said I shouldn't compare to athletes so much as before!

But yes I'm a good example of hard work and consistency giving results so I know that anything can be achieved with enough work :)

And thanks for the links! I'll check 'em out
Joy3k

Postby scumdogg » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:14 pm

I finally understand what you meant. I assumed you were a novice and geared my answer that way :roll: My apologies. I know what you mean about it being mentally tiring after months of trying to motivate yourself.
scumdogg

Postby Joy3k » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:10 am

No apologies needed! I just have a weird way of motivating myself by pushing myself down enough to anger my pride and make me retaliate.. sometimes I think I'd be a decent psychiatrist study subject :lol:

In other news , just finished L3D2 at 8:42, pull-ups and squats were fairly easy though I slow down on the push-ups around the 4th round (because it gets harder), I'm going to put some extra slow reps in the next workout.
Joy3k

Postby Joy3k » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:18 am

L3D3 today : 4:35 !

Going to level 4 monday :D
Joy3k

Postby Ruli » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:45 pm

you bastard!!!
congratulations - it will be a while b4 i can say that!
Ruli

Postby Joy3k » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks -- it does seem a bit surreal. I remember thinking, moments before I started today's workout, "how the hell will I manage to pull off this many reps?" and somehow I did it. Tougher challenges coming up though!!
Joy3k

Postby Joy3k » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:25 pm

After a week long break...

L4D1 : 25 reps, much to my surprise! Paced it a bit more evenly, that must be why...
Joy3k

Postby Joy3k » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:24 am

Quick update on my situation. Had another week long break after last post, unfortunately.

Then started up again somewhat inconsistently :
L4D1 : 20 reps; L4D2 : 13 min ; L4D3 : ---
L4D1 : 22 reps; L4D2 : 12:35 ; L4D3 : ---
L4D1 : --- ; L4D2 : 11:35 ; L4D3 : 7:45

and this week, the first complete one in a while :lol:
L4D1 : 27 reps; L4D2 : 11:10 ; L4D3 : 6:30

Getting there!

Keep on working fellas, it definitely pays off, I'm feeling the results throughout my body (though at the moment, 4 min after finishing D3, it's more soreness than anything :lol: )
Joy3k

Next

Return to workouts